Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 21:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike newspapers in the old days, today s newspapers and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: Newspaper Weaken Question [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 07:59
A. The rest are out of scope.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: Newspaper Weaken Question [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 23:04
clean A. E merely tells about the roles of papers in Old days.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 8

Re: Newspaper Weaken Question [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2011, 10:21
(A) Newspapers and televised news programs have more comprehensive coverage of violent crime than newspapers did in the old days. CORRECT
(B) National data show that violent crime is out of control everywhere, not just in the author’s city. INCORRECT - irrelevant
(C) Police records show that people experience more violent crimes in their own neighborhoods than they do outside their neighborhoods. INCORRECT - irrelevant
(D) Murder comprised a larger proportion of violent crimes in the old days than it does today. INCORRECT - irrelevant
(E) News magazines play a more important role today in informing the public about crime than they did in the old days. - INCORRECT - magazines are out of scope
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 109

Re: Newspaper Weaken Question [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2011, 21:28
+1 A

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Schools: Johnson '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 16

Re: Unlike newspapers in the old days, today s newspapers and [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 05:59
i would go with A too

my understanding is similar to bigoyal

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Unlike newspapers in the old days, today s newspapers and [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 22:21
A it is

one closer look at first two words of E....and you can eliminate it

all others are out of scope.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: Merage '15 (A)
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 16

Premium Member
Re: Unlike newspapers in the old days, today s newspapers and [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 04:18
(A) Newspapers and televised news programs have more comprehensive coverage of violent crime than newspapers did in the old days. Definitely weakens the argument
(B) National data show that violent crime is out of control everywhere, not just in the author’s city. Not relevant
(C) Police records show that people experience more violent crimes in their own neighborhoods than they do outside their neighborhoods.Not relevant
(D) Murder comprised a larger proportion of violent crimes in the old days than it does today.Weakens but not as much as 1.
(E) News magazines play a more important role today in informing the public about crime than they did in the old days.Weakens but not as much as 1.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 11

Re: Unlike newspapers in the old days, today s newspapers and [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 04:34
This post received
KUDOS
Can anyone tell the level of this question?

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Unlike newspapers in the old days, today s newspapers and [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 11:02
bangalorian2000 wrote:
bipolarbear wrote:
Unlike newspapers in the old days, today’s newspapers and televised news programs are full of stories about murders and assaults in our city. One can only conclude from this change that violent crime is now out of control, and, to be safe from personal attack, one should not leave one’s home except for absolute necessities.

Which one of the following, if true, would cast the most serious doubt on the conclusion?

(A) Newspapers and televised news programs have more comprehensive coverage of violent crime than newspapers did in the old days.
(B) National data show that violent crime is out of control everywhere, not just in the author’s city.
(C) Police records show that people experience more violent crimes in their own neighborhoods than they do outside their neighborhoods.
(D) Murder comprised a larger proportion of violent crimes in the old days than it does today.
(E) News magazines play a more important role today in informing the public about crime than they did in the old days.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
A

Had trouble between A and E. Anyone care to comment?

Its A.
B,C,D are out straight away.
E talks about news magazines only and says nothing about newspaper there is much to assume than in A hence A is best option.
bipolarbear wrote:
Unlike newspapers in the old days, today’s newspapers and televised news programs are full of stories about murders and assaults in our city. One can only conclude from this change that violent crime is now out of control, and, to be safe from personal attack, one should not leave one’s home except for absolute necessities.

Which one of the following, if true, would cast the most serious doubt on the conclusion?

(A) Newspapers and televised news programs have more comprehensive coverage of violent crime than newspapers did in the old days.
(B) National data show that violent crime is out of control everywhere, not just in the author’s city.
(C) Police records show that people experience more violent crimes in their own neighborhoods than they do outside their neighborhoods.
(D) Murder comprised a larger proportion of violent crimes in the old days than it does today.
(E) News magazines play a more important role today in informing the public about crime than they did in the old days.

Had trouble between A and E. Anyone care to comment?

" to be safe from personal attack, one should not leave one’s home except for absolute necessities." if it is the conclusion, then how A cast serious doubt on the conclusion.? I need an additional explanation. :(
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 19

Re: Newspaper Weaken Question [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 17:16
gmatprep09 wrote:
Well, I thought it was E........in that, that even in the old days, there was crime but people are well informed these days through newspapers...........

For me, I think that the statement doesn't state anything about news magazine. Hence, it's out of scope in E option.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.78

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Unlike newspapers in the old days, today s newspapers and [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2013, 03:53
C - is wrong because of homes vs. neighborhoods, the question talks about staying in out homes, whereas the answer choice says neighborhoods, slightly difft but enough to make the answer wrong.
Intern
Intern
Status: Rotterdam Erasmus; McGill Desautels UBC Sauder - Admitted
Schools: ISB, INSEAD, Harvard, Warton

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 34

Re: Unlike newspapers in the old days, today s newspapers and [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 23:01
Ans: (a)
Probably a 500-600 level weakening question in GMAT..

Argument: "today’s newspapers and televised news programs are full of stories about murders and assaults in city"
Conclusion: violent crime is now out of control
Weaking factor: what is the crimes rate was same or higher in previous era but the newspaper of televsion didn't reported them as actively as today

~ highlights the aforementioned Weaking factor. Correct(B) National data show that violent crime is out of control everywhere, not just in the author’s city.
~ The argument compares the current crime rate with that of older period. Irrelevant in comparing crime rate of cities
~ Irrelevant to the context of the argument for same reason as (b)
~ Argument doesn’t compare the proportion of an activity comprising a crime in a particular period
~ No mention of magazines in the argument

-- Because beauty Lies in the Eyes.. So donate those eyes :) :)

KUDOS if like the post ... ;)

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Unlike newspapers in the old days, today s newspapers and [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2014, 22:03
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Unlike newspapers in the old days, today s newspapers and   [#permalink] 28 Apr 2014, 22:03