Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 7

Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 10:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

50% (02:12) correct 50% (01:33) wrong based on 13 sessions
901. Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs to the twentieth century, an age of fretfulness and melancholy skepticism.
(A) Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs
(B) Chekhov, unlike the other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs =======================
(C) The life of Chekhov, unlike the lives of the subjects of other Troyat biographies, Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs
(D) Chekhov and his life, unlike that of the other Troyat biographies—Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belong
(E) The life of Chekhov, unlike that of other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Manager
Manager

Re: ****Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoev [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 10:18
IMO It should be B....
Pour in your thoughts guys

Shikhar

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 31

Re: ****Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoev [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 10:25
Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs to the twentieth century, an age of fretfulness and melancholy skepticism.

(A) Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs
--> wrong comparison

(B) Chekhov, unlike the other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs =======================
--> wrong comparison Chekov is compared to biographies

(C) The life of Chekhov, unlike the lives of the subjects of other Troyat biographies, Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs
--> CORRECT

(D) Chekhov and his life, unlike that of the other Troyat biographies—Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belong
--> WRONG COMPARISON

(E) The life of Chekhov, unlike that of other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs
--> wrong comparison

I will go with C .

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Manager
Manager

Re: ****Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoev [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 10:51
"The life of X belongs to " doesn't it sound a little weird .

Shikhar

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 284

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: ****Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoev [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 14:16
Expert's post
Let me take a hack at this :):

First off, anticipate many false comparisons. That is we want to be comparing Pushkin to other authors or the life of Pushkin to those of other authors -----> author vs. authors; life of author vs. life of authors

Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs to the twentieth century, an age of fretfulness and melancholy skepticism.

Chekhov is being compared to the 'lives of' -----> Incorrect

(B) Chekhov, unlike the other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs

Chekhov is being compared to biographies ------> Incorrect

Life of Chekhov is being compared to 'the lives of subjects' (life vs. lives) so we have a valid comparison. ANSWER

A couple of things wrong here. First off, Chekhov AND his life are being compared to other biographies. Secondly, the dashes should enclose. Here, instead of a second dash we have a comma. ------> Incorrect

Here it is being implied that all of Troyat biographies have one life, "unlike THAT of other Troyat biographies..." where THAT refers to 'life.' -----> Incorrect

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: ****Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoev [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 13:47
ChrisLele wrote:
Let me take a hack at this :):

First off, anticipate many false comparisons. That is we want to be comparing Pushkin to other authors or the life of Pushkin to those of other authors -----> author vs. authors; life of author vs. life of authors

Chekhov is being compared to the 'lives of' -----> Incorrect

(B) Chekhov, unlike the other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs

Chekhov is being compared to biographies ------> Incorrect

Life of Chekhov is being compared to 'the lives of subjects' (life vs. lives) so we have a valid comparison. ANSWER

A couple of things wrong here. First off, Chekhov AND his life are being compared to other biographies. Secondly, the dashes should enclose. Here, instead of a second dash we have a comma. ------> Incorrect

Here it is being implied that all of Troyat biographies have one life, "unlike THAT of other Troyat biographies..." where THAT refers to 'life.' -----> Incorrect

Funny, I thought that comparing 'the life' with the 'the plural lives' was not parallel at all.

Could anybody please elaborate on this?

Thanks!
Cheers
J :)
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 20

CAT Tests
Re: Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 22:24
I am a little confused here. Is the sentence referring to Chekhov's actual life or to the biography.

X's life belongs to the twentieth century, an age of fretfulness and melancholy skepticism sounds slightly awkward to me.

Can someone please clarify?

I picked B as a result of this confusion
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 4

Re: Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 22:27
Comparisons must be between "like" things. So the "kind/nature" of the things being compared, and not the number, matters.
For example, you cannot say:
Jack's house is bigger than Jill.
But you can say:
Jack's house is bigger than his friends' (houses).

If the latter comparison weren't allowed, then you would need to write a separate sentence for each "life" comparison!

--Prasad
EnterMBA.in

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Re: Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski,   [#permalink] 26 Apr 2014, 22:27