Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 00:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 11:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

29% (02:19) correct 71% (00:28) wrong based on 9 sessions
901. Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs to the twentieth century, an age of fretfulness and melancholy skepticism.
(A) Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs
(B) Chekhov, unlike the other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs
(C) The life of Chekhov, unlike the lives of the subjects of other Troyat biographies, Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs
(D) Chekhov and his life, unlike that of the other Troyat biographies—Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belong
(E) The life of Chekhov, unlike that of other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 11:08
C for me...right comparison...life with life..
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Chekhov [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2005, 11:15
banerjeea_98 wrote:
901. Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs to the twentieth century, an age of fretfulness and melancholy skepticism.
(A) Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs
(B) Chekhov, unlike the other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs
(C) The life of Chekhov, unlike the lives of the subjects of other Troyat biographies, Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs
(D) Chekhov and his life, unlike that of the other Troyat biographies—Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belong
(E) The life of Chekhov, unlike that of other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs

A: Compares "Lives of A, B, C" with Chekov. Bad comparison.
B: Compares Chekov with Biographies.
D: That is a singular pronoun. Here it refers to Chekov & his life. Compound Subject. Bad.
E: Compares "The Life" of Chekov with "The Life" of Biographies.

My AC is C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2005, 02:56
Though even 'C' doesn't sound too well. That's the best choice available. OA please.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Chekhov [#permalink] New post 01 May 2005, 17:10
I go with E.

Folks, C is a trap. if we carefully analyze, C we can spot the error. IMO, the underlined part contains error.

banerjeea_98 wrote:
Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs to the twentieth century, an age of fretfulness and melancholy skepticism.

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 May 2005, 05:39
OA is "C"
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Chekhov [#permalink] New post 02 May 2005, 07:22
MA wrote:
oh no, E was a trap?

:)

happens MA!

E compares different things...

"The life of Chekhov, unlike that of other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs"

It is comparing the "life" of Chekhov with the life of "other Troyat biographies"....sounds strange...doesn't it?!

cheers!
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 255 [0], given: 4

Re: SC: Chekhov [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 08:30
banerjeea_98 wrote:

What is the difference between these parts of D and E?

(D) other Troyat biographies - Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski
(E) other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: SC: Chekhov [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 08:45
I have major doubt here in B & C

Compares Chekhov to Troyat

Doesn't the placement of "Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi and Dostoevksi" suggest that they are "Troyat Biographies", which is not the meaning in the question?

I understand that B has issues in that Chekhov is treated as biography, but life can be equated to biography.
And moreover, same error of treating biographies to subjects in B has been done in C as well by placing "Pushkin,Gogol, Tolstoi and Dostoevski" just after "Troyat Biographies". So the error done in B at the starting has been done in C in the last of sentence options to be corrected. The sentence C would have been correct if "Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi..." would have been placed just after subjects like in the following sentence "The life of Chekhov, unlike the lives of the subjects, Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, of other Troyat biographies, belongs"

My reasons for selecting B have been same errors in B and C + More succint B. Please help in resolving problem in my logic explained above.

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: SC: Chekhov [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 09:35
Expert's post
Before we delve, let us appreciate that five arms of the lives of some people are being compared with one arm namely the life of Chekhov and not just four arms as many seem to interpret. The five arms of the first part are 1. the lives of the subjects of other Troyat biographies 2. the life of Pushkin 3. the life of Gogoi 4. the life of Tolstoy and 5. the life of Dostoevsky. The first four arms have to be separated by ‘a comma’ and conjunction ‘and’ from the last arm.
If you want to just refer to only four arms, then there is no need to say other Troyat biographies. Secondly if you intended only four arms, then the right way to say that is: The life of Chekhov, unlike those of Troyat biographies of people such as Pushkin, Gogoi, Tolstoy, and Dostoevsky, belongs

(A) Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogoi, Tolstoy, and Dostoevsky, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs ….. Both serial //ism and comparison are wrong

B) Chekhov, unlike the other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogoi, Tolstoy, and Dostoevsky, belongs …. Wrong: comparing a person with biographies

(C) The life of Chekhov, unlike the lives of the subjects of other Troyat biographies, Pushkin, Gogoi, Tolstoy, and Dostoevsky, belongs….. Life compared with lives. Right choice.

(D) Chekhov and his life, unlike that of the other Troyat biographies -Pushkin, Gogoi, Tolstoy, and Dostoevsky, -belong …. 1. ‘[color=#0040FF]Unlike that of’ is wrong – you need to say ‘unlike those of’ 2. ‘The other biographies’ seems to describe the four others. This is wrong representation.
[/color]
(E) The life of Chekhov, unlike that of other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogoi, Tolstoy, and Dostoevsky, belongs ….. [color=#0000FF]‘Unlike that of’ is wrong as in D.

[/color]

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [1] , given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: SC: Chekhov [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 10:19
This post received
KUDOS
@ daagh
Your lucid explanation made me to look through this SC differently.

But doesn't that change the meaning intended in original sentence? In the original sentence, the placement of "lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski," just next to "subjects of other Troyat biographies" intends that the first 4 fingers(lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski) specified category of fingers "subjects of other Troyat biographies"

From your perspective, the sentence C looks good to me now.

Also one more thing, if I need to correct B and I go by your last comments on B, then will it seem something like::>
B) The biography of Chekhov, unlike the other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogoi, Tolstoy, and Dostoevsky, belongs

Please let me know your version for B

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Current Student
Nationality: Indian
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q V0
GPA: 3.36
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC: Chekhov [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 15:27
C for me. What is the source ? 1000SC?

You have to have a darkness...for the dawn to come.

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: SC: Chekhov [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 21:39
Expert's post
A major correction: I would like to present a major correction in my stand. I had not known what a Troyat biography was. When I googled for Troyat biographies, I learnt that the phrase stands for the biographies on the lives of famous Russian celebrities including Chekhov written by the French author Troyat. So I agree that the word ‘other’ simply stands for differentiating Chekhov from other similar Russians. Therefore the second part comprises only four arms, which are all Troyat biographies. I thoroughly agree with ‘joshnsit’ on both his points. (‘joshnsit’ :Your revised B choice is perfectly amended)
I mistook Troyat biographies as if they are some special kind of literary pieces that differed from other ordinary biographies. Wouldn’t it have been better to call them biographies by Troyat?

That ignored, this is simply a question of comparing similar things and so there is no change in the answer choice C. My comments on individual choices stand good except for the muddled thinking on Troyat biographies.

About the contention that in C, the life of Chekhov is being compared with biographies may not be right. Look at the wordings: “The life of Chekhov, unlike the lives of” C just compares life with lives. Life is being compared neither with subjects nor with biographies. Perfect

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: SC: Chekhov   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2011, 21:39