Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 17:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike the short flights of the shuttle and earlier

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Unlike the short flights of the shuttle and earlier [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2008, 00:25
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (01:51) correct 20% (00:53) wrong based on 57 sessions
Unlike the short flights of the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which carried sufficient power in fuel cells and batteries, a permanently orbiting space station will have to generate its own electricity.

A. the short flights of the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which carried sufficient power in fuel cells and batteries
B. the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, with sufficient enough power in fuel cells and batteries for their short flights
C. the short flights of the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which enabled them to carry sufficient enough power in fuel cells and batteries
D. the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which were capable of carrying sufficient power in fuel cells and batteries for their short flights
E. the flights of the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, whose shortness allowed them to carry sufficient power in fuel cells and batteries
Intern
Intern
Schools: IIM A, ISB

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - short flight [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2008, 03:54
hi hoogie,
i feel the ans lies in the expression " unlike x,y".
so i feel A is the correct choice.
coz the choices B n C have sufficient enough power .. which looks wordy.
with D n E the construction again looks wordy...
so i feel the original line is the est bet..
bye
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - short flight [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2008, 03:55
My bet on D .
In B ...sufficient and enough are redundant .
OA ??

"CEO in making"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - short flight [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2008, 04:04
chaks....A,C and E are out because of apple & orange comparision flaw ..
In B and D - here the point of comparision is "shuttle and earlier spacecraft" and "permanent orbiting stations "...

If find flaw in this line of reasoning , pls correct !!

"CEO in making"

CEO
CEO
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 483 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - short flight [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2008, 22:44
hoogie wrote:
Unlike the short flights of the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which carried sufficient power in fuel cells and batteries, a permanently orbiting space station will have to generate its own electricity.

A. the short flights of the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which carried sufficient power in fuel cells and batteries
B. the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, with sufficient enough power in fuel cells and batteries for their short flights
C. the short flights of the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which enabled them to carry sufficient enough power in fuel cells and batteries
D. the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which were capable of carrying sufficient power in fuel cells and batteries for their short flights
E. the flights of the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, whose shortness allowed them to carry sufficient power in fuel cells and batteries

I have B/D for a final decision.
what is yours and why?

ACE are out for illogical comparisions.
B is also out for modifying phrasr that starts with "with........"

I remain with D.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [2] , given: 0

Re: SC - short flight [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 04:36
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
i go with D

in GMAT,correct usage of unlike would be,

Unlike X<noun>,....,<Y><noun>....
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - short flight [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2008, 01:49
hoogie wrote:

what is yours and why?

Mine is D.

A C and E are out.

In choice B, there is a redundancy. sufficient = enough >>> can't be B.
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - short flight [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2008, 01:55
Wht is wrong with B?in D,doesnt "which were capable ......." convey wrong meaning and unnecessarily wordy??B is concise.
hoogie wrote:

what is yours and why?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - short flight [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2008, 01:59
I think it can't be B, because, in B, it uses "were capable of"- past simple, which is not suitable in this case :)
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - short flight [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2008, 02:11
@xiaoling
its not in B but in D which is using "were capable of"
Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard, Yale, HEC

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 18

Re: SC - short flight [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 14:30
sufficient enough is redundant, see it? D stands
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - short flight [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 14:39
+1 D

sufficient enough? redundant.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard, Yale, HEC

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 18

Re: SC - short flight [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 06:42
I thought when you say +1, kudo was given.?? :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - short flight [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 09:48
This post received
KUDOS
i left with B and D

the correct is D because in B sufficient=enough (redundant error)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 27

Re: Unlike the short flights of the shuttle and earlier [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 18:06
This post received
KUDOS
A,C,E are out. They compare flights of some type with the type itself.

We are left with B and D.
B is wrong for two reasons. 1-> sufficient enough is redundant. 2-> The words following the comma describe the spacecraft.. spacecraft with X. So the use of their is wrong. The phrase belongs to the noun that is singular.

D is the perfect answer. Unlike X and Y, which do something, Z has to do something else.

On a separate note, did anyone notice the usage of "will have" for singular noun? A nice remainder of a lesson that we all learnt :)
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unlike the short flights of the shuttle and earlier [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 08:05
Apart from 'sufficient enough' which is redundant, is there any other issue in B?

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 435 [1] , given: 448

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Unlike the short flights of the shuttle and earlier [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 09:24
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Sachin9 wrote:
Apart from 'sufficient enough' which is redundant, is there any other issue in B?

yea.

use of 'with' is unwarranted. You should use 'which' when you are presenting a non-essential information.

'with' is generally used when you want to use the modifier as well or show the modifier plays an important role.

see this question: the-javelin-has-a-sharp-point-which-is-more-obviously-137306.html

look at option B and E.
E means, because the javelin has a sharp point it is dangerous.
B means javelin has a sharp point AND it is dangerous. (states 2 facts about javelin without connecting them)

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unlike the short flights of the shuttle and earlier [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 19:27
jumsumtak wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:

yea.

use of 'with' is unwarranted. You should use 'which' when you are presenting a non-essential information.

'with' is generally used when you want to use the modifier as well or show the modifier plays an important role.

see this question: the-javelin-has-a-sharp-point-which-is-more-obviously-137306.html

look at option B and E.
B means javelin has a sharp point AND it is dangerous. (states 2 facts about javelin without connecting them)

Thanks mate, guess the following will the following be correct then..

the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which have sufficient enough power in fuel cells and batteries for their short flights

Could you also let us know the right usages of with apart from the you mentioned..

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

VP
VP
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 448

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Unlike the short flights of the shuttle and earlier [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 23:29
Sachin9 wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:

yea.

look at option B and E.

Thanks mate, guess the following will the following be correct then..

the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which have sufficient enough power in fuel cells and batteries for their short flights

Could you also let us know the right usages of with apart from the you mentioned..

'with' is pretty versatile. It can modify the preceding noun or the whole clause. It is important to see the context in which it is used. (like we discussed above)

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Unlike the short flights of the shuttle and earlier [#permalink] New post 05 May 2013, 01:45
Excuse my obvious question. I want to make sure I understand which statements.

In the correct answer choice sentence, "Unlike the flights of the shuttle and earlier aircraft, which were capable of carrying..."

"Which" refers to "flights of the shuttle and earlier aircraft," or "shuttle and earlier aircraft," or "earlier aircraft?"

Basically, if a question asks, "Unlike x and y, which blah blah blah," can I understand that which refers to "x and y" rather than just "y?"
Re: Unlike the short flights of the shuttle and earlier   [#permalink] 05 May 2013, 01:45