Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 03:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike the United States with its generalissimo politicians

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Economics Prague
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Unlike the United States with its generalissimo politicians [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 06:37
Unlike the United States with its generalissimo politicians - Washington, Jackson, Grant, and Eisenhower- the ‘martial arts’ have been conspicuously absent from Canadian politics. The exception to the rule is former Prime Minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau, who became the first Canadian leader to bring a gunslinger ethos to Canadian politics. Trudeau introduced Canada to the refined art of single combat; it was the politics of “doing it my way”. Single-combat confrontation implied much more than the renegade in power did, and far less than the tricks of William Lyon Mackenzie King, prime minister intermittently between 1921 and 1948.

Trudeau’s unique background prepared him for the role of authoritarian leader he would assume later in life. Born on October 18, 1919, Trudeau lived in French-speaking Montreal, but heard English at home from his mother, making it easy for the young politician to appeal to all sectors of Canada, a bilingual country. As a young man, he walked and cycled through Europe, finding himself on occasion on the wrong side of the bars in foreign jails. By 1940, Trudeau entered the law faculty at the University of Montreal. As a student he enlisted in the Canadian Officers Training Corps, where he was given a commission as a lieutenant, a rank he held until his retirement in 1947. Trudeau, a renowned sportsman, held a brown belt in karate, knew how to skin dive and could descend 150 feet off a cliff with ease. He continued performing flamboyant physical feats even in later life as Canada’s fifteenth prime minister, astounding Canadians with his prowess. The public’s adoration made it possible for him to practice his personal brand of ‘do it my way’ politics, initiating profound and long-lasting changes to his country.

Other leaders would never have undertaken to deal with such taboo issues as divorce, abortion and homosexuality– matters likely to infuriate conservative Canada from coast to coast. Even the powerful Mackenzie King dared not touch any of the three, though Trudeau tackled them together in an omnibus bill as Minister of Justice under Lester B. Pearson. His reason for loosening legislation on these issues was, as he put poetically put it, "The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation." The myths-makers have it that this was Trudeau's first deliberate ‘gun slinging’ move, performed with the ultimate goal of attaining national leadership. Contrary to popular belief, Trudeau had no leadership aspirations at the time; all he had was a passion for combat that eclipsed other religious considerations. Trudeau instigated far-reaching changes in legislation governing divorce, abortion and homosexuality that have had a major impact on Canada, shaping the country into what it is today.
13. The primary focus of the passage is on which of the following?
A. Comparing two Canadian prime ministers and contrasting their personal style of leadership
B. Describing the leadership style of one of Canada’s prime ministers
C. Evaluating the success of the leadership style of one of Canada’s prime ministers
D. Summarizing the contribution of one of Canada’s prime ministers
E. Tracing the long-term impact of legislation put forward by one of Canada’s prime ministers
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

14. It can be inferred from the passage that former Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King
A. Was opposed to abortion and put forward legislation making it illegal
B. Was opposed to abortion but did not put forward legislation making it illegal
C. Was in favor of abortion and put forward legislation making it legal
D. Was in favor of abortion but did not put forward legislation making it legal
E. Did not put forward legislation making abortion legal
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

15. The author of the passage mentions Trudeau’s accomplishments in sports primarily in order to
A. Explain the source of Trudeau’s physical stamina
B. Illustrate that he had earned the adoration of the Canadian public
C. Contrast it to his personal brand of ‘do it my way’ politics
D. Provide one reason why he was able to single-handedly push through legislation that should normally have shocked conservative Canada
E. Provide one reason why he was able to single-handedly thwart legislation that should normally have shocked conservative Canada
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

16. The quotation "The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation," is most probably used to
A. Present the opinion that the state should have less of a say in issues that are essentially not public matters
B. Present the opinion that the state should have less of a say in issues that are essentially public matters
C. Present the opinion that the state should have more of a say in issues that are essentially not personal matters
D. Provide an example of Pierre Elliot Trudeau’s flamboyant style that he used to captivate the Canadian public
E. Contrast Pierre Elliot Trudeau’s flamboyant style with that of Lester B. Pearson
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Re: politician [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 22:45
Thanks for posting. What is the source?

I'd say the passage difficulty is in low 600s: there are no difficult choices to be made between the answers, all of them are rather clear except 15D/15E could, in which you need to know what 'thwart' means:)
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: politician [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 23:35
Easy questions but subtle. And made to trick. Since the choices were close - I got two right and two wrong.
E.g 13. B Vs C
14. B Vs E
15. D Vs E
16. A Vs C
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-15-2011
GPA: 3.71
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

Re: politician [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 04:28
got all right...
definately a low score essay....
never got a perfect score on the passage :oops:

Appreciation in KUDOS please!
Knewton Free Test 10/03 - 710 (49/37)
Princeton Free Test 10/08 - 610 (44/31)
Kaplan Test 1- 10/10 - 630
Veritas Prep- 10/11 - 630 (42/37)
MGMAT 1 - 10/12 - 680 (45/34)

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: politician [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2011, 22:46
13 - B
14 - E
15 - D
16 - A

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unlike the United States with its generalissimo politicians [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 04:01
Why Q15 is D if in the second paragraph is not mentioned at all legislation?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Unlike the United States with its generalissimo politicians [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 19:01
chipi113 wrote:
Why Q15 is D if in the second paragraph is not mentioned at all legislation?

I got D, after that I chose again E. The misunderstand the word 'thwart' make me wrong. I can understand that the accomplishment in sport will express his bold to face with taboo issues mentioned in third paragraph.

My got answer is:

13, B
14, D (careless)
15, D => E (OMG)
16, B

Got only one correct :<

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unlike the United States with its generalissimo politicians [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 03:31
I got three right out of four.

I have a doubt on Q -15. According to the passage,
Trudeau’s accomplishments in sports => Adoration of Canadian Public => made it possible for him to practice his personal brand of ‘do it my way’ politics.

So shouldn't the answer be B as it was the direct implication of his accomplishments, rather than D?

Crick
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 268 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Unlike the United States with its generalissimo politicians [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2012, 08:19
TOOK 6 MIN AND 2 WRONG
15 ONE IS REALLY CONFUSING.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Re: Unlike the United States with its generalissimo politicians   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2012, 08:19