Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike the wholesale price of raw wool, the wholesale price

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 109 [1] , given: 14

Unlike the wholesale price of raw wool, the wholesale price [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2010, 04:21
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (02:02) correct 31% (01:13) wrong based on 355 sessions
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition
Practice Question
Question No.:18
Page: 122
Difficulty:

Unlike the wholesale price of raw wool, the wholesale price of raw cotton has fallen considerably in the last Year. Thus, although the retail price of cotton clothing at retail clothing stores has not yet fallen, it will inevitably fall.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

A. The cost of processing raw cotton for cloth has increased during the last Year.
B. The wholesale price is typically higher than that of the same volume of raw cotton.
C. The operating costs of the average retail clothing store have remained constant during the last year.
D. Changes in retail prices always lag behind changes in wholesale prices.
E. The cost of harvesting raw cotton has increased in the last year.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by dentobizz on 21 Oct 2013, 21:26, edited 2 times in total.
formatting for the verbal review project
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 14

Re: price of cotton clothing at retail cloting stores - CR [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2010, 04:32
Can someone explain reasoning behind A and E ? I choosed E but which statement weakens more i.e W+ or W++? B,C and D are not the answers for sure.

the way i am thinking
E. The harvested cost of cotton increases, the retail price of cotton will also increase - so should weaken the main argument

A. If the processing cost of cotton increases, the retail price of cotton will also increase - so this should also weakens the argument right? so how to choose between E and A?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 8

Re: price of cotton clothing at retail cloting stores - CR [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2010, 09:11
zz0vlb wrote:
Can someone explain reasoning behind A and E ? I choosed E but which statement weakens more i.e W+ or W++? B,C and D are not the answers for sure.

the way i am thinking
E. The harvested cost of cotton increases, the retail price of cotton will also increase - so should weaken the main argument

A. If the processing cost of cotton increases, the retail price of cotton will also increase - so this should also weakens the argument right? so how to choose between E and A?

IMO A

E talks about cost of harvesting (this is out of scope) ........... but the wholesale price has fallen (cannot be ignored, given as fact)

Hope this helps

Success is my Destiny

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 697 [2] , given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: price of cotton clothing at retail cloting stores - CR [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2010, 09:24
This post received
KUDOS
IMO A.

You need to check carefully the terms marked in red. Stimulus says that the prices of RAW WOOL decreasing, prices of COTTON CLOTHING has not fallen but will inevitably fall. This is the conclusion. We have to find an answer which weakens this conclusion.

If there is some factor, which can counter balance the decreased prices of raw cotton with increased prices of cotton clothing, will be correct answer. Let's check all options:

A. The cost of processing raw cotton for cloth has increased during the last Year. [Bingo, now thats what I am talking about. Wait lets check other options as well]
B. The wholesale price is typically higher than that of the same volume of raw cotton. [So what? How does it affect the clothing rate. Incorrect]
C. The operating costs of the average retail cloting store have remained constant during the last year. [We are discussing the relationship b/w pricing of raw cotton and cotton clothing. This choice is irrelenet to our concern. Incorrect]
D. Changes in retail prices always lag behind changes in wholesale prices. [Oh really. What if there is less harvest of raw cotton and no overstock for manufacturers? Incorrect]
E. The cost of harvesting raw cotton has increased in the last year. [This is strengthing the conclusion. Beware it is an example of OPPOSITE case fallacy.Incorrect]

So, A is the best answer.

zz0vlb wrote:
Unlike the wholesale price of raw wool, the wholesale price of raw cotton has fallen considerably in the last Year. Thus, although the retail price of cotton clothing at retail cloting stores has not yet fallen, it will inevitably fall.

A. The cost of processing raw cotton for cloth has increased during the last Year.
B. The wholesale price is typically higher than that of the same volume of raw cotton.
C. The operating costs of the average retail cloting store have remained constant during the last year.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 6

Re: price of cotton clothing at retail cloting stores - CR [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 11:53
A it is as it connects the link between wholesale price of raw cotton and the processing price of raw cotton into cloth.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [2] , given: 0

Re: price of cotton clothing at retail cloting stores - CR [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 12:27
This post received
KUDOS
Unlike the wholesale price of raw wool, the wholesale price of raw cotton has fallen considerably in the last Year.
Thus, although the retail price of cotton clothing at retail cloting stores has not yet fallen, it will inevitably fall.

C. The operating costs of the average retail cloting store have remained constant during the last year.

We know that b,c,d are false.
The Ans may lie in A or E.

The background information given is as
the wholesale price of raw cotton has fallen considerably in the last Year.

But in E) Cost of harvesting raw cotton has increased.
This option may or may not revelant to conclusion. But it is opposite to back ground information.
if cost of harvesting raw cotton has been increased last year, the wholesale price of the cotton should have been increased .According to Back ground info,wholesale price of the cotton has been decreasing.

So i feel that E is the wrong answer.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: price of cotton clothing at retail cloting stores - CR [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 00:21
I agree,

if E is true

1. > Crop Harvesting More expensive . (Choice E)
2. However we know wholesale price of raw cotton is cheaper . (The paragraph)

Somewhere in between the expense offset of the crop harvesting is absorbed .

Even if E is true, it still in no way effects arguments that retail prices would "inevitably" fall .
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: price of cotton clothing at retail cloting stores - CR [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 08:05
A. Easy one.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: price of cotton clothing at retail cloting stores - CR [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 02:53
Argument is simple and answer choices are simple.

However, E discomfort us a little. why?

if the wrong answer (such as E) is relevant to evident, it is tough for us to realize the neutrality of the wrong answer. A trick gmat do for us

if we meet this one after doing 35 math questions and 10 verbal questions, it is harder to realize E is wrong. we must be very keen and know in advance all the tricks gmat throws at us to reduce the failure and mistake. and for non native speakers who have not taken undergraduate study in English, daily reading of new text of strong written English is a must to maintain reading capacity.
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 904 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: price of cotton clothing at retail cloting stores - CR [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 03:48
zz0vlb wrote:
Unlike the wholesale price of raw wool, the wholesale price of raw cotton has fallen considerably in the last Year.
Thus, although the retail price of cotton clothing at retail cloting stores has not yet fallen, it will inevitably fall.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

E talks about harvesting raw cotton: An event, information or premise that could have affected the wholesale prices of cotton itself. But, it is clearly mentioned in the passage that wholesale price of the cotton dropped. So, even if E is correct, we can safely assume that it has nothing to do with the retail price increase. There may be something else that could have caused the wholesale prices to drop in spite of higher harvesting cost but we should not be bothered about that.

A: Correctly gives an alternate reason why the retail price may not fall. Because, although the wholesale prices have fallen, the cost of processing them into clothing has risen. Thus, the cotton clothing manufacturers will have to sell the clothes at the same price as they did before and eventually the retailers will have to sell it at the same rate as before as well.

It is important to note that these options just give a reason to suspect the argument. It doesn't completely disapprove the argument.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: price of cotton clothing at retail cloting stores - CR [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 02:21
A
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: price of cotton clothing at retail cloting stores - CR [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2011, 19:15
A
2 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 152

Kudos [?]: 501 [2] , given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: price of cotton clothing at retail cloting stores - CR [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 22:17
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all.

Guys I was actually making myself mad about this question. It seemed that it is poorly constructed question, since both of reasons are valid. but it could not be poor since it is from GmatPrep, so why A is better than E?

I read it again and again and then I realized a small very meaningfull difference , look here:

E. The cost of harvesting raw cotton _______ has increased in the last year.

Do you see the difference??!!!
A is talking about cotton for cloth, while E is about any raw cotton, not necessarily for cloth.

Moreover, A is about increase of costs "during the year", while E is talking about may be one-off increase happened last year.

Ohh yeeah I like GMAT :)

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 47

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unlike the wholesale price of raw wool, the wholesale price [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 20:30
Clearly A wins !

D- Day December 30 2011. Hoping for the happiest new year celebrations !

Aiming for 700+

Kudo me if the post is worth it

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Unlike the wholesale price of raw wool, the wholesale price [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 23:12
zz0vlb wrote:

A. The cost of processing raw cotton for cloth has increased during the last Year. => Yep, although the price of raw material fall, the price of processing increase, making the final price balance. Weaken
B. The wholesale price is typically higher than that of the same volume of raw cotton. => Irrelevant
C. The operating costs of the average retail cloting store have remained constant during the last year. => operating cost is constant, so strengthen.
D. Changes in retail prices always lag behind changes in wholesale prices. => General
E. The cost of harvesting raw cotton has increased in the last year. => Nope. Although the cost of harvesting raw cotton rise, but the price of raw cotton give out after harvesting. So, neutral.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 166

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unlike the wholesale price of raw wool, the wholesale price [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 21:37
Marked A

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 31 [2] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unlike the wholesale price of raw wool, the wholesale price [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 17:15
This post received
KUDOS
For this question I picked A:

From reading this passage, I immediately picked out the conclusion to be [highlight]"Thus, the price of cotton clothing will inevitably fall."[/highlight] If you are having trouble finding the conclusion, look for the conclusion marker "thus" and it should be easy from there.

The question stem then tells you that you are looking for an answer choice that weakens the argument.

The next step I took was to prephrase because this could potentially direct me to the correct answer and prephrasing forces me to think harder about what I just read.

So how did I prephrase this question? If you look back at the passage, you are essentially given a direct relationship between the price of raw cotton and the price of cotton clothing. This relationship makes sense if you ASSUME that the processing/manufacturing from raw material to finished product has not changed in cost. Therefore, my first prephrase was: [highlight]An increase in manufacturing/processing costs.[/highlight] This would definitely weaken the argument because an increase in manufacturing costs would decrease the retailer's profit margins and may force the retailer's to leave their prices constant.

What is another possible prephrase? Well, it is possible that the retailer's themselves may have higher operating costs (ie. rent, electricity etc.) which would again squeeze the profit margins of the retailers. [highlight]Therefore, my second prephrase was: Increased operating costs of the retailers.[/highlight]

Now we can analyze each and every answer choice:

A. This answer choice matches one of my prephrases (My prephrase looks suspiciously similar to the answer choice, but I'm honestly telling you that I did not look at the answer choices until after my prephrasing. This should tell you the importance of doing this.) This is a definite contender and after looking at the other choices, I have determined that this is the correct answer.

B. The relationship in the passage is between price of raw cotton and the price of cotton clothing - the relationship between the price of raw wool and the price of raw cotton is irrelevant.

C. This answer choice is incorrect because it states that the operating costs have remained CONSTANT. If this answer choice had said that the operating costs have increased, then this answer choice would definitely weaken the argument, but as it stands, this answer choice actually strengthens. The reason it strengthens is because it eliminates one of the reasons that could explain the error in the initial relationship.

D. This answer would be correct in a must be true question - it just summarizes what is already stated in the passage. Therefore, if anything, this answer choice strengthens.

E. The cost of harvesting should already be included in the wholesale price of raw cotton, therefore, this answer choice is irrelevant.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 31

Re: Unlike the wholesale price of raw wool, the wholesale price [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 22:18
Easy and straight A, as it shows something that adds to the retail price

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 237

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Unlike the wholesale price of raw wool, the wholesale price [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 01:32
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.8

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 491

Re: Unlike the wholesale price of raw wool, the wholesale price [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2013, 20:28
I just can't understand this sentence. It doesn'nt make sense to me. The wholesale price of what? What they comapare here? My english sucks. Could someone pls explain it to me. Thanks
Re: Unlike the wholesale price of raw wool, the wholesale price   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2013, 20:28