Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 19:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike transplants between identical twins, whose genetic

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Difficult SC- #906 [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2009, 11:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:54) wrong based on 3 sessions
906. Unlike transplants between identical twins, whose genetic endowment is the same, all patients receiving hearts or other organs must take antirejection drugs for the rest of their lives.
(A) Unlike transplants between identical twins, whose genetic endowment is the same
(B) Besides transplants involving identical twins with the same genetic endowment
(C) Unless the transplant involves identical twins who have the same genetic endowment
(D) Aside from a transplant between identical twins with the same genetic endowment
(E) Other than transplants between identical twins, whose genetic endowment is the same

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

Guys,this question I am totally confused... Besides A &E can be eliminated ( A for illofical comparison, E for awkward structure of the phrases), how do you nail down to the OA?
Would really appreciate the feedback, thanks
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 2

Re: Difficult SC- #906 [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2009, 02:46
It was really tough.... IMO C

(A) Unlike transplants between identical twins, whose genetic endowment is the same
(B) Besides transplants involving identical twins with the same genetic endowment
(C) Unless the transplant involves identical twins who have the same genetic endowment
(D) Aside from a transplant between identical twins with the same genetic endowment
(E) Other than transplants between identical twins, whose genetic endowment is the same

I just tried to bring the patients on the first half of the sentence as in the second half.

C satisfies. ..... subject there is twins not transplant...

in all other choices subject is transplant.

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Re: Difficult SC- #906 [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2009, 06:12
So if I interpret your answer correctly, are you suggesting that besides C, the other choices ( Such as B & D) use prepositional phases as a modifier, but they do not modify the subject correctly - i.e. they are misplaced modifiers...

Besides transplants involving identical twins with the same genetic endowments, all patients.... ( in choice B, we are still comparing apples to oranges - transplants to patients..)- similar case in A, D, E

Does that make logical sense?
Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 1

Re: Difficult SC- #906 [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2009, 18:39
906. Unlike transplants between identical twins, whose genetic endowment is the same, all patients receiving hearts or other organs must take antirejection drugs for the rest of their lives.

(C) Unless the transplant involves identical twins who have the same genetic endowment The comparison is correctly done between twins and all other regular patients. I added the words "Unless and Until" for my benefit in this choice and re-read the sentence as "Unless and until the transplant involves identical twins who have the same genetic endowment". This automatically gave me the right comparison between twins and all other patients.

C is the best answer
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 1

Re: Difficult SC- #906 [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2009, 22:36
“Beside” means “in addition to “
“Aside” means “in addition to”
“Unless” means “if not”.

This sentence require a conditional statement.

Hence C
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 31

Re: Difficult SC- #906 [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 09:01
richardkliao wrote:
So if I interpret your answer correctly, are you suggesting that besides C, the other choices ( Such as B & D) use prepositional phases as a modifier, but they do not modify the subject correctly - i.e. they are misplaced modifiers...

Besides transplants involving identical twins with the same genetic endowments, all patients.... ( in choice B, we are still comparing apples to oranges - transplants to patients..)- similar case in A, D, E

Does that make logical sense?
Thanks

Besides transplants...all patients..incorrect modifier
yes, modifying problem except in C
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth class of 2012
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Small business/Start up
WE 3: Strategy - Large Corporate
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: Difficult SC- #906 [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 17:16
If you are using a comma in this way to position a fragment then my tip would be to place the fragment at the end of the sentence to see if it makes sense. Also makes your comparison much clearer.
Re: Difficult SC- #906   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2009, 17:16