Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

unmatched verb tense

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

unmatched verb tense [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2009, 02:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Hi,

I got the below question wrong in one of the official GMAT practice tests but can't work out why.

Question 2 -- correct answer is C.

Researchers agreed that the study treatments for heart attack patients was extremely important but more research was needed to determine that baloon angioplasty preceded with ultrasound was or was not any better for heart attack patients than the balloon procedure by itself.

a. Same as above
b. more research was needed for determining whether or not balloon angioplasty preceded by ultrasound is any better for heart attack patients than is
c. that more research was needed to determine whether balloon angioplasty preceded by ultrasound is any better for heart attack patiens than
d. that more research was needed to determine that balloon angioplasty preceded with ultrasound was any better for heart attack pathents than
e. that more research was needed for determining that balloon angioplasty preceded by ultrasound is or is not any better for heart attack patients than is

I can see the answer I picked (D) is no the best, but in C, last verb 'is' does not match the verb tense in the first part of the sentence, which is past tense.
I always seem to narrow the answer down to two, and then pick the wrong one in the end.

Anyone can help me with this one?
Thx heaps.
Attachments

verbal to b posted on GMAT Club.doc [241 KiB]
Downloaded 191 times

To download please login or register as a user

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: unmatched verb tense [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 01:53
I have 2 reasons . First , "whether" in C is better than "that" in D .It is a objective clause ,means determines sth.
second "preceded by" is more agreement with the "the balloon procedure by itself" than "preceded with".

so as to the tense ,I think the whole setense means " more research was needed to determine in the past ",but the ths. needed to determine must not be the past.
Intern
Intern

Re: unmatched verb tense [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 06:57
Thx buddy. I didn't even notice the 'by' and 'with' even thogh I went through the entire question so many times..good spot.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1584 [1] , given: 249

Re: unmatched verb tense [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 05:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
By all means, C is the best choice, except for the pin - prick of the un-matching verb tenses.
But now, let’s look at these sentences:
Galileo concluded that earth was oval and not flat
Galileo concluded that earth is oval and not flat
Which one of the two is correct? Obviously, is oval and not was oval. Because, this is a scientific and eternal truth, that was in the past, is in the present and will be in the future. So the use of present tense is acceptable, though it looks as if it is an apparent shift of tense.
On the same logic, whether or not Balloon Angioplasty is good enough alone or only along with other measures, is a scientific fact, and can be expressed in present tense. So C.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 186 [1] , given: 66

Re: unmatched verb tense [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 07:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
daagh wrote:
By all means, C is the best choice, except for the pin - prick of the un-matching verb tenses.
But now, let’s look at these sentences:
Galileo concluded that earth was oval and not flat
Galileo concluded that earth is oval and not flat
Which one of the two is correct? Obviously, is oval and not was oval. Because, this is a scientific and eternal truth, that was in the past, is in the present and will be in the future. So the use of present tense is acceptable, though it looks as if it is an apparent shift of tense.
On the same logic, whether or not Balloon Angioplasty is good enough alone or only along with other measures, is a scientific fact, and can be expressed in present tense. So C.

I wholeheartedly agree with daagh's comment above, and will even take it one step further. When dealing with a universal truth (as indicated, true in the past, the present and the future unless something changes), not only is the present acceptable, it is required. The logic of the sentence mandates that the verb tense be in the present, because the use of the past would indicate that something may have changed in the interim. It is important to look at the logical meaning of the sentence as well as the rules of grammar.

Similar example:
XYZ concluded that the Earth is oval and not flat --) still the case, present required
XYZ concluded that the Earth's surface was comprised of one super continent, Pangea --) no longer the case, past required

This is something that can mess students up, so it's good to be aware of it. In sentence correction, the verb tenses should match up. However, if they don't, look for logical reasons why the timeline doesn't match expectations. Logic is a bigger part of sentence correction than most students realize.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1584 [0], given: 249