Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unorthodox evaluation request. Thank you.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Charterholder
Schools: EWMBA Haas
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Unorthodox evaluation request. Thank you. [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 10:42
Alex,

First, let me say I have read through various responses you provided, and your honesty is the reason I am requesting your opinion, be it in my favor or against.

Age: 36(I know this will work against me considering the myriad of reasons Admission Committees choose younger applicants, one of them being placement percentage)

GPA: 2.7 Cal Poly San Luis Obispo(Honesty, in my opinion, is the best way of addressing this. I was lazy, lacked work ethic and knew I could get by with minimal effort. I plan to address this in essays noting this is not the man I am today)

Passed all three levels of the Chartered Financial Analyst Program. I am hoping this shows intellectual curiousity and capability.

GMAT: N/A This is part of where I am asking for your assessment. If 700 is achieved, what can I realistically hope for in choosing the optimal college(MBA finance is preferred).

Work Experience: I have a somewhat unorthodox career path:
1) Two and half years in equity research in SF. I was the first in a class of 8 newcomers to be promoted and coordinate daily equity research meetings. Most of these newcomers came from Duke, Yale, Stanford, etc..
2) CFO of family owned auto dealership for 4 years growing revenues 150% in 2 years.
3) Bank manager of 8 people for 2 years achieving the #1 ranked branch, out of 99 in California, based on various profitability metrics
4) Currently a financial analyst

Intangibles:Volunteer local food bank, Drafted by 2 different professional baseball teams, learning to speak Punjabi(fiance is from India)

Also, is EMBA frowned upon compared to a full-time?
My motive for an MBA is to further my skill-set with which to draw upon in areas of management, leadership, etc...
I am very self aware, and know I am as an individual.
My essay portion plans to add somewhat of a personal touch, essentially delving into the fact that I was compartmentalized as the "athletic" one since I can remember, whereas my older brother was the "smart". I have always been gifted athletically, and only recently, beginning with the CFA adventure 4 years ago, decided to nurture my intellectual side. I am extremely competitive and have been able to now translate that competitiveness to academics. I know I'm not the smartest, and I realize that it may take me twice as long as the person next to me to learn a concept, but in the end, I will know what he/she knows.

Honest assessment would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Casey
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Unorthodox evaluation request. Thank you. [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 15:36
Giants or Rangers - who takes the series?

In short, you look like the ideal candidate for the executive or part-time programs. At your stage in life it's probably a better fit for you - you'll be in class with people similar to you (rather than in a full-time program where you'll be in a class of mid- to late 20 somethings who are still relatively early in their career).

EMBAs aren't frowned upon - in any case, as you get older, your educational credentials will matter less and less anyhow, even if you went to a prestigious program, because most people (adults - not the kids a few years out of undergrad who will be more preoccupied with school brand names) care more about REAL WORLD experience and your life's work to date.

Assuming you're still in California, I'd shoot for UCLA, USC, and Berkeley -- their part-time or exec programs. In many respects, their part-time and exec programs are amongst the best in the country (also as there's not as much choices here on the west coast for good schools - whether it's full-time, part-time or exec).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Unorthodox evaluation request. Thank you.   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2010, 15:36