Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 19:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unorthodox Profile Review for Harvard/Stanford

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Other, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '15
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Unorthodox Profile Review for Harvard/Stanford [#permalink] New post 25 May 2012, 11:49
A bit of an unorthodox profile here:

- 720 GMAT
- BA from top public school (Berkeley/Michigan/UVA) in politics, 3.9 GPA, high honors, award-winning thesis
- PhD candidate (ABD) in top philosophy PhD program (Harvard/Princeton/Stanford)

Tentative career goal is university president, especially want to be involved in online higher education (hence desire for MBA) and develop both the academic and management background to be part of that wave.

Interested especially in Stanford GSB, because of tech/online education interests. Also like HBS, and would consider Wharton and Columbia, but would likely forego the MBA if I can't get into one of these schools.

Can I cut it at Stanford and Harvard? Particular concerns: will not having much experience (and NONE in financial services) be fatal? Are my career interests too tangential to most MBA-types to make me a compelling applicant? Anything I need to emphasize, downplay or change about my profile?

Thanks!!

Last edited by unsure on 23 Feb 2013, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Unorthodox Profile Review for Harvard/Stanford [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 08:56
I think you're a wild card. In other words, it's going to be hard to predict at all because it'll come down to the individual adcoms reading your case, and my hunch is that there very well could be debate (your applications at each school are read by at least 2 different adcoms members). Most of the PhD folks they see are in life sciences or engineering, so with your background they won't really know what to do with you. It's not about whether you have finance experience or not (the majority of applicants do not) but the fact that they rarely if ever get someone with your background. So your challenge isn't "standing out" but whether the adcoms believe that you can "fit in" with a sea of ex-bankers, consultants, engineers, and other corporate professionals. It also doesn't help that your goals are also atypical (not saying you should say something else, because if you decide to go with the more standard narrative of management consulting or corporate, it will be a different kind of hard sell because you'll have to convince them that you can transition into the corporate world which is likely very different than your experiences to date). Finally, if you get into b-school, are you going to drop out of the PhD program? Keep in mind that by applying to b-school, it sends a strong signal that you feel you made a huge mistake doing this PhD and you're scrambling to right the ship so to speak by applying to another program. And yes, all of what I said here doesn't just apply to HBS or Stanford, or even Wharton, Columbia, etc. but any top b-school you'll be looking at.

In any case, if you need to scratch that itch, then by all means apply. But I strongly suggest you look for work (I know the job market sucks) while you're doing your PhD program - and if you land a good job, consider either dropping the PhD program or going part-time with it if at all possible.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Unorthodox Profile Review for Harvard/Stanford   [#permalink] 27 May 2012, 08:56