Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 02:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unpredictable GMAT Score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Unpredictable GMAT Score [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 20:03
After months of GMAT Prep, possibly solving every question in the OG 10 twice , spending loads of time time on GMATCLUB answering the questions posted, I have yet again managed to screw up my GMAT .

My second GMAT test scores are extremely depressing 620 ( 48, 27) . I got a 660 the first time 3 months back ( 47, 35) and I knew I could cross the 700 plus barrier with some more effort.

In the days preceeding the test , I took 3 GMAT Preps and scored 750 (47,47), 740 (48,44) and 770(49,47).

I am unsure of why I have scored so poorly on the actual test in Verbal. I solved almost 10-12 Sets , where I managed to get not more 8 questions wrong on Verbal . In 6 months of practice I never got 27 on Verbal .

On the quant this time , I saw atleast 3 questions from the GMATPREP, loads of questions on median, mode, and mean , calculation intensive questions, and practically no questions on Probability, Permutation & Combination and even difficult Geometry.

The Verbal was much simpler than what I had practised, I found the questions relatively straighforward, and even the CR's were not at all difficult, as compared what I had practised on CR1000. I completed the Verbal with 10 minutes to spare, and was expecting a 700+ score. Internally I knew I had done well, and then I saw this score .27 .... How can that happen ??

In the Verbal , in the practice tests, I almost got my RC's correct . I only made mistakes in my CR and my SC mistakes were also getting fewer with time.

I am unsure whether I will be applying with this score. I have decided to take a small hiatus from studies, come back to life and then retake the GMAT afresh, with no memory of my past learning experience.

I dont know what suggestions , friends on the GMATCLUB would like to give here.I myself am unable to comprehend, where I went wrong.

Maybe its not just the right time for me to look at an MBA, maybe I need to rethink... maybe.... But after months of hardwork, hours of effort, and a dream which I have nurtured for more than 6 years after i graduated, its really hard to look at all the effort go down ..

Thanks goalsnr, sondenso, walker, spriya, sanjay_gmat, saravalli, x2suresh,smm32, prachiparekh, zoltan, rhyme, riverripper, startupaddict,jallenmorris ,chineseburned, fresinha ,leopard and all of you who have posted some excellent questions and been great support on GmatClub. I do wish the best for you all in this journey... Hope to be there some day with amongst the high scorers, because somewhere inside me I know that I belong there....

Last edited by bhatiagp on 28 Jul 2008, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Unpredictable GMAT Score [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 21:14
GP:

your gmat prep scores would be false indiactor as you would have given them no of times.
Also you havent done OG11 and OG purple.

Other things that I have noticed is that on forums most of the explainations on SC are pretty vague as comapred to OG explaination. I have found that that last 50 of OG SC Qs deal with the meaning of the sentence and clarity and not only on grammar rules.

Did you strictly prepared based on OG for verbal?

What were your scores on other CATS that you gave. Did you give MGMAT CATS OR KAPLAN?
How do you rate your stamina on concentrating 75 minutes on verbal at one stretch ?

I have read one of the forum member (Yehwei, if i rem correctly) who did nothing much other giving 21 CATS in three weeks.

I am appearing for GMAT on 11 aug. will update how it goes, but these are things that are accross my head currently.

Thanks,
Director
Director

Re: Unpredictable GMAT Score [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 21:42
abhaypratapsingh wrote:
GP:
your gmat prep scores would be false indiactor as you would have given them no of times.
Also you havent done OG11 and OG purple.

I have done OG11 , but not the purple book.
Quote:
Did you strictly prepared based on OG for verbal?

No I reffered to Kaplan, Princeton verbal workout and Manhattan SC.
Quote:
What were your scores on other CATS that you gave. Did you give MGMAT CATS OR KAPLAN?
How do you rate your stamina on concentrating 75 minutes on verbal at one stretch ?

Princeton 700,720,720,720. Powerprep 720,760. 10 GMAT Sets . (But I cant score them)

Good stamina, but yesterday at some point in time during the test, one of the RC's onthe screen look blurred for a few seconds, and I had to get back my concentration.... But I think that happens to all
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Unpredictable GMAT Score [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 01:55
Hi,
This is my first post on this club...though i have been regularly logging in to read the experiences...
Your GMAT experience is exactly similar to mine...i took the test last week and scored 640..Q46 and V32....I was devastated with V32 cause i was always doing well on verbal....in quant i too got a lot of questions on averages, median, range....verbal seemed very easy but the final score was way off my wildest imagination....
I was always scoring around 39 in GMATPrep tests so would be really keen to know what more i could do to improve my verbal score....
I studied from OG and Verbal review, Manhattan SC and CR bibles....
Guys please advise.

Thanks....
SVP
SVP
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unpredictable GMAT Score [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 07:42
bhatiagp wrote:
After months of GMAT Prep, possibly solving every question in the OG 10 twice , spending loads of time time on GMATCLUB answering the questions posted, I have yet again managed to screw up my GMAT .

My second GMAT test scores are extremely depressing 620 ( 48, 27) . I got a 660 the first time 3 months back ( 47, 35) and I knew I could cross the 700 plus barrier with some more effort.

In the days preceeding the test , I took 3 GMAT Preps and scored 750 (47,47), 740 (48,44) and 770(49,47).

I am unsure of why I have scored so poorly on the actual test in Verbal. I solved almost 10-12 Sets , where I managed to get not more 8 questions wrong on Verbal . In 6 months of practice I never got 27 on Verbal .

On the quant this time , I saw atleast 3 questions from the GMATPREP, loads of questions on median, mode, and mean , calculation intensive questions, and practically no questions on Probability, Permutation & Combination and even difficult Geometry.

The Verbal was much simpler than what I had practised, I found the questions relatively straighforward, and even the CR's were not at all difficult, as compared what I had practised on CR1000. I completed the Verbal with 10 minutes to spare, and was expecting a 700+ score. Internally I knew I had done well, and then I saw this score .27 .... How can that happen ??

In the Verbal , in the practice tests, I almost got my RC's correct . I only made mistakes in my CR and my SC mistakes were also getting fewer with time.

I am unsure whether I will be applying with this score. I have decided to take a small hiatus from studies, come back to life and then retake the GMAT afresh, with no memory of my past learning experience.

I dont know what suggestions , friends on the GMATCLUB would like to give here.I myself am unable to comprehend, where I went wrong.

Maybe its not just the right time for me to look at an MBA, maybe I need to rethink... maybe.... But after months of hardwork, hours of effort, and a dream which I have nurtured for more than 6 years after i graduated, its really hard to look at all the effort go down ..

Thanks goalsnr, sondenso, walker, spriya, sanjay_gmat, saravalli, x2suresh,smm32, prachiparekh, zoltan, rhyme, riverripper, startupaddict,jallenmorris ,chineseburned, fresinha ,leopard and all of you who have posted some excellent questions and been great support on GmatClub. I do wish the best for you all in this journey... Hope to be there some day with amongst the high scorers, because somewhere inside me I know that I belong there....

bhatia,
Sorry to hear that... it's just a bad day...
from your posts and analysis.. I expected that you will get at least 40+ in verbal..
Don't give up. Take few days rest and calm down and give try in another 3-4 weeks.. Definitely you will make it through the 700 barrier. ( You have that potential). Find out your weak areas in Quant also and try to hit 50.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Director
Director

Re: Unpredictable GMAT Score [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 21:51
Will be obliged if anyone can suggest a study plan for me.
Manager
Manager

Re: Unpredictable GMAT Score [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 22:22
Only problem I think of is your stamina for verbal section ..
how many CATS give in last 15 days of your prep ?

thnhks,
Director
Director

Re: Unpredictable GMAT Score [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2008, 00:41
3 CATS And 7 GMAT SETS ( Paper Based)
Manager
Manager

Re: Unpredictable GMAT Score [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2008, 01:27
you can have 6 MGMAT + 4 GMAT PREP (2 times each) + 2 power prep (older gmat) i.e.

13 test all together and you have given only 3 so far , then obviously you endurance and stamina will suffer.

you can also give 25 Maths challenges of gmatclub.

thanks,
abhay singh
Re: Unpredictable GMAT Score   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2008, 01:27