Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 23:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unsure of what to do - I NEED SOME ADVICE

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Unsure of what to do - I NEED SOME ADVICE [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 13:41
I have been doing quantitative questions and have been getting quite a bit wrong and generally have been taking too long to get them done - however, yesterday I was about to start doing the series of quadratic equations recommended by MGMAT - I looked at 1 and had to look at the answer because I could not figure out how to solve. I was about to tackle another and tried to factor one of the equations when what I had to do was set them equal to each other and solve. All of a sudden my mood sank - I started thinking that with about 3 weeks left before my scheduled GMAT exam - I am not likely to be ready for the quantitative on the exam considering that I will not have time off from work. (Verbal is my strength and so I have been concentrating on Quantitative).

I am not too happy about this and have been asking myself some questions. - I am interested in some answers:
1. To start the MBA in Fall of 2008 - so many months away - how could the only option be delaying till 2009 - (I really want to get funding for school)- is there any other alternative other than having to apply by February/2nd round thereabout ?(It seems like I am looking for alternatives that don't exist out of desperation however I find early February to be still early - What about the schools with rolling deadlines?)

2. Also, I have been wondering whether my GPA of 3.78/4.0 in undergrad would help if my GMAT is not too high and have thought that maybe I should apply with whatever I get for my GMAT score instead of delaying.

3. Is it wise to try to get into a MBA program in Spring of 2009 or would that be limiting oneself since most schools don't offer a program begining then

4. Also, are most of the participants on this forum getting ready for Fall 2008 or are there people 'shooting' for 2009 too - please help - I need advice - I feel like I am already 33 years old and feel like pushing this back is indicating that I may never do an MBA.

5. Also - are there some schools that don't accept applicants if they did not do volunteer/community service. I did some of that as an undergrad student but due to some personal difficulties encountered after graduation has not done any community work up until now. How could that affect my applications? - I REALLY NEED SOME ADVICE.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unsure of what to do - I NEED SOME ADVICE [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 20:35
rosellecs wrote:
I have been doing quantitative questions and have been getting quite a bit wrong and generally have been taking too long to get them done - however, yesterday I was about to start doing the series of quadratic equations recommended by MGMAT - I looked at 1 and had to look at the answer because I could not figure out how to solve. I was about to tackle another and tried to factor one of the equations when what I had to do was set them equal to each other and solve. All of a sudden my mood sank - I started thinking that with about 3 weeks left before my scheduled GMAT exam - I am not likely to be ready for the quantitative on the exam considering that I will not have time off from work. (Verbal is my strength and so I have been concentrating on Quantitative).

I am not too happy about this and have been asking myself some questions. - I am interested in some answers:
1. To start the MBA in Fall of 2008 - so many months away - how could the only option be delaying till 2009 - (I really want to get funding for school)- is there any other alternative other than having to apply by February/2nd round thereabout ?(It seems like I am looking for alternatives that don't exist out of desperation however I find early February to be still early - What about the schools with rolling deadlines?)

2. Also, I have been wondering whether my GPA of 3.78/4.0 in undergrad would help if my GMAT is not too high and have thought that maybe I should apply with whatever I get for my GMAT score instead of delaying.

3. Is it wise to try to get into a MBA program in Spring of 2009 or would that be limiting oneself since most schools don't offer a program begining then

4. Also, are most of the participants on this forum getting ready for Fall 2008 or are there people 'shooting' for 2009 too - please help - I need advice - I feel like I am already 33 years old and feel like pushing this back is indicating that I may never do an MBA.

5. Also - are there some schools that don't accept applicants if they did not do volunteer/community service. I did some of that as an undergrad student but due to some personal difficulties encountered after graduation has not done any community work up until now. How could that affect my applications? - I REALLY NEED SOME ADVICE.

How have you done on GMATPrep? If not that great, id suggest putting off the exam until you feel u can do it right. While a score of a 700 is great, a low math will ding you from the top schools. Looking at ur target schools as well, looks like ur gunna need to do a lot of work. Thats ok though because if thats what you really want, then the work load shouldn't be a serious issue.

As far as community service... I think this should be the least of your worries. If u really need comm. service that bad, just do something when u have ur GMAT done, etc...

My own personal opinion, I think the comm. service requirement is garbage. Only reason I ever did comm. service was because it was required. Kinda takes the whole point out of "volunteering." It has good intentions, but as we all learned in biz school when only one side benefits the other side doesn't give 100% effort. Just helps out because its "required." When two parties have aligned interests thats when you see amazing results.

sry went off topic

Don't worry about ur age. Honestly who cares. Just get it done right.
Intern
Intern

Unsure of what to do - I NEED SOME ADVICE [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 21:10
I really appreciate your advice because I feel so unsure of what decision I would make and I like to know exactly what I am doing. I have seen your posts and you're working so hard toward this. Is your goal to start your MBA in Fall 2008?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unsure of what to do - I NEED SOME ADVICE [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 21:30
rosellecs wrote:
I really appreciate your advice because I feel so unsure of what decision I would make and I like to know exactly what I am doing. I have seen your posts and you're working so hard toward this. Is your goal to start your MBA in Fall 2008?

Prolly not til 09 or later. I just dont wanna deal w/ this thing when I start working. I wanna concentrate on work.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 00:24
rosellecs, you are not alone.

I'm aiming for fall 2008. Although, it may not be possible. Time is on me as well, and I'm afraid I may not be able to pull it of (I don't want to end up with some shitty essays), but I'll do everything I can to accomplish it.

Initially, I had planed to have the gmat taken out of the way by August, but personal stuff got in the way and I was not able to do it.

I'm studying my ass off right now, but it's not a burden. I'm extremely motivate and I think you should be too. It will pay off at the end. I'm takng mine the first week of December.

Having to be ready for something that won't happen until the next year kind of sucks, but that's the way the game is played.

I don't think your age is a problem at all. It only means you will have more experience to share with the class :wink:. I do not know for sure, but I've read people in Europe wait until their mid 30s to go to B-School. Just stay focused on your goal and you will accomplish it.

I probably didn't help you much with your questions, but just wanted to cheer you up! Keep it up buddy.
Intern
Intern

Unsure of what to do - I NEED SOME ADVICE [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 06:17
Thank you so much for the info because I have been considering taking it in early December too. I wish you all the best.
Unsure of what to do - I NEED SOME ADVICE   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2007, 06:17