Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 22:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unsure of what to do - PLEASE ADVISE ME!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Unsure of what to do - PLEASE ADVISE ME!! [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 09:34
I have been doing quantitative questions and have been getting quite a bit wrong and generally have been taking too long to get them done - however, yesterday I was about to start doing the series of quadratic equations recommended by MGMAT - I looked at 1 and had to look at the answer because I could not figure out how to solve. I was about to tackle another and tried to factor one of the equations when what I had to do was set them equal to each other and solve. All of a sudden my mood sank - I started thinking that with about 3 weeks left before my scheduled GMAT exam - I am not likely to be ready for the quantitative on the exam considering that I will not have time off from work. (Verbal is my strength and so I have been concentrating on Quantitative).

I am not too happy about this and have been asking myself some questions. - I am interested in some answers:
1. To start the MBA in Fall of 2008 - so many months away - how could the only option be delaying till 2009 - (I really want to get funding for school)- is there any other alternative other than having to apply by February/2nd round thereabout ?(It seems like I am looking for alternatives that don't exist out of desperation however I find early February to be still early - What about the schools with rolling deadlines?)

2. Also, I have been wondering whether my GPA of 3.78/4.0 in undergrad would help if my GMAT is not too high and have thought that maybe I should apply with whatever I get for my GMAT score instead of delaying.

3. Is it wise to try to get into a MBA program in Spring of 2009 or would that be limiting oneself since most schools don't offer a program begining then

4. Also, are most of the participants on this forum getting ready for Fall 2008 or are there people 'shooting' for 2009 too - please help - I need advice - I feel like I am already 33 years old and feel like pushing this back is indicating that I may never do an MBA.

5. Also - are there some schools that don't accept applicants if they did not do volunteer/community service. I did some of that as an undergrad student but due to some personal difficulties encountered after graduation has not done any community work up until now. How could that affect my applications? - I REALLY NEED SOME ADVICE.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unsure of what to do - PLEASE ADVISE ME!! [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 10:02
rosellecs wrote:
1. To start the MBA in Fall of 2008 - so many months away - how could the only option be delaying till 2009 - (I really want to get funding for school)- is there any other alternative other than having to apply by February/2nd round thereabout ?(It seems like I am looking for alternatives that don't exist out of desperation however I find early February to be still early - What about the schools with rolling deadlines?)

Honestly, I didn't understand the question
rosellecs wrote:
2. Also, I have been wondering whether my GPA of 3.78/4.0 in undergrad would help if my GMAT is not too high and have thought that maybe I should apply with whatever I get for my GMAT score instead of delaying.

You are at the older end of the spectrum. So yes, ad-com will cut you some slack for a slightly lower GMAT. But, this is also a great opportunity for you to set yourself apart from the other applicants as old as you.
rosellecs wrote:
3. Is it wise to try to get into a MBA program in Spring of 2009 or would that be limiting oneself since most schools don't offer a program begining then

Most full time programs begin in fall. Some part time and executive programs begin in Spring, but honestly, I don't think there are too many.
rosellecs wrote:
4. Also, are most of the participants on this forum getting ready for Fall 2008 or are there people 'shooting' for 2009 too - please help - I need advice - I feel like I am already 33 years old and feel like pushing this back is indicating that I may never do an MBA.

Yes, most of us here are looking to start in fall 2008.
rosellecs wrote:
5. Also - are there some schools that don't accept applicants if they did not do volunteer/community service. I did some of that as an undergrad student but due to some personal difficulties encountered after graduation has not done any community work up until now. How could that affect my applications?

Yes, all top schools prefer some sort of community service. More so at the ultra-elites.
rosellecs wrote:
I REALLY NEED SOME ADVICE.

Hope that helped!
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unsure of what to do - PLEASE ADVISE ME!! [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 20:28
KingKREEP wrote:
rosellecs wrote:

Honestly, I didn't understand the question
rosellecs wrote:

You are at the older end of the spectrum. So yes, ad-com will cut you some slack for a slightly lower GMAT. But, this is also a great opportunity for you to set yourself apart from the other applicants as old as you.
rosellecs wrote:

Most full time programs begin in fall. Some part time and executive programs begin in Spring, but honestly, I don't think there are too many.
rosellecs wrote:

Yes, most of us here are looking to start in fall 2008.
rosellecs wrote:
5. Also - are there some schools that don't accept applicants if they did not do volunteer/community service. I did some of that as an undergrad student but due to some personal difficulties encountered after graduation has not done any community work up until now. How could that affect my applications?

Yes, all top schools prefer some sort of community service. More so at the ultra-elites.
rosellecs wrote:
I REALLY NEED SOME ADVICE.

Hope that helped!

I had different ideas for points 2 & 5.
2) There is one line of thought that states that the older you are the less relevant your GPA is (vs GMAT) since it was achieved several years ago. This would work either way (low GPAs or high GPAs). On top of that, GMAT seems to be much more important than GPA, regardless of age.

5) I agree that schools prefer a balanced individual (i.e. someone who has been doing something more than just working and watching TV since graduation), but I disagree that schools require community service. Community service is one of many options for extra-activities / personal interests, but not the only one. You need to be aware of the world around you, but that does not necessarily mean that you need to volunteer.

L.
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 22:16
I'm applying for fall 2009...i just see it as being ahead in the game. I got accepted to the duke diversity weekend, I applied to the UCLA weekend. I'll have plenty of time to perfect my essays and research each school. I'm 25 though, so I understand how the age factor could weigh much more heavily on you. The bottom line though is that if you want to get into some top schools, you need to take the facts into account...the most important being 650+ gmat score. However disregarding the money spent on applications, is there really any negatives to re-applying if you don't get in to the schools you want to this cycle?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Unsure of what to do - PLEASE ADVISE ME!! [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 08:30
Thank you all for your advice. I really appreciate it.
Unsure of what to do - PLEASE ADVISE ME!!   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2007, 08:30