Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 01:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Until 1985 all commercial airlines completely replenished

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Until 1985 all commercial airlines completely replenished [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2005, 17:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Until 1985 all commercial airlines completely replenished the cabin air in planes in flight once every 30 minutes. Since then the rate has been once every hour. The less frequently cabin air is replenished in a plane in flight, the higher the level of carbon dioxide in that plane and the easier it is for airborne illnesses to be spread.

Which one of the following is most strongly supported by the information above?

A) In 1985 there was a loosening of regulations concerning cabin air in commercial airline flights.
B) People who fly today are more likely to contract airborne illnesses than were people who flew prior to 1985.
C) Low levels of carbon dioxide in cabin air make it impossible for airborne illnessess to spread.
D) In 1980 the rate at which the cabin air was replenished in commerical airlines was sufficent to protect passengers from the effects of carbon dioxide buildup
E) In 1980 the level of carbon dioxide in the cabin air on a two-hour commercial airline flight was lower than it is today on a similar flight.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2005, 18:30
Between B and E, I choose E.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2005, 18:36
E is wrong. It has to be B.

in E, in a 2 hour flight, the level of CO will be same because it is replenished every hour hour or 1 hour.

B can be inferred.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Replenish carbondioxide [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2005, 19:32
B. hmmmmm .... tricky

the question is "which one of the following is most strongly supported by the information above?" So E doesnot support the information that the higher the level of carbon dioxide in that plane, the easier it is for airborne illnesses to be spread.

E only support that before 1985 the level of carbon dioxide in the cabin air on a two-hour commercial airline flight was lower than it is today on a similar flight not the likelyness of illness.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2005, 08:59
riteshgupta1 wrote:
E is wrong. It has to be B.

in E, in a 2 hour flight, the level of CO will be same because it is replenished every hour hour or 1 hour.

B can be inferred.

The statement says

"The less frequently cabin air is replenished in a plane in flight, the higher the level of carbon dioxide"

I think what it means is that the CO will remain in the plane even if the air is replenished every 5 minutes. The argument says "the higher the level" It does not say that the replenishment will clear the air of CO.

I do not like B because it is very generic.

I guess this is close.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2005, 07:19
the OA is E. Why is B wrong?

Bhai, could you elaborate on why AC B is wrong
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2005, 08:23
This is inference question from the evidence, fact given:

B) People who fly today are more likely to contract airborne illnesses than were people who flew prior to 1985.

B assumes that the cause of "airborne illnesses" is only through "carbon dioxide". That is, there might be other reasons for contracting "airborne illnesses" in flight before 1885 OR todays airlines may be employing other measures to counter the spread of airborne illnesses due to increased level of CO2.

E. This is a fact which can be infered (as PR says dont go too far on inferences) easily from the argument(The less frequently cabin air is replenished in a plane in flight, the higher the level of carbon dioxide in that plane).
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2005, 10:58
Too tricky...... at first I thought the answer is E, but then i got stuck between B and E.
I thnk B goes beyond the scope that is why E is the right answer.
-n

hey ya......

SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2005, 12:37
gmataquaguy wrote:
the OA is E. Why is B wrong?

Bhai, could you elaborate on why AC B is wrong

B is a strong answer but we cannot necessarily infer it. There may be several factors that may be required to evaluate this option. How much CO2. How long does the person needs to get exposed. With some more of this info this may be inferred but not for sure in it's current state.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2005, 07:39
Any other explanations
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2005, 07:50
Premises
1) Until 1985, airlines replenish cabin air once every 30 mins
2) since 1985, airlines replenish cabin air once evey hour
3) less frequent cabin air is replenish -> higher level of co2 in the plane
4) high level of co2 -> easier for airborne illness to spread

A) In 1985 there was a loosening of regulations concerning cabin air in commercial airline flights.
- not supported for in the passage

- Can we really tell that from the statments? Which premise supports allows you to confidently say "yes, people today are weaker and more prone to airborne illness)

C) Low levels of carbon dioxide in cabin air make it impossible for airborne illnessess to spread.
- can't tell if it becomes impossible

D) In 1980 the rate at which the cabin air was replenished in commerical airlines was sufficent to protect passengers from the effects of carbon dioxide buildup
- again, we don't know from the passage if it's sufficient.

E) In 1980 the level of carbon dioxide in the cabin air on a two-hour commercial airline flight was lower than it is today on a similar flight.
- I go with this. On a 2 hr flight, pre 1985 would see the cabin air replenished 4 times, while post 1985, the cabin air would be replenished just 2 times. Based on the statement, the less frequent cabin air is replenished, the higher the level of of co2 in the plane. So since cabin air is replenished more frequently in 1980 than post 1985, then level of co2 in cabin air in 1980 woul be lower.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Replenish carbondioxide [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2005, 16:50
Gawd, I don't even know where to start with this one. Eeny meeny miny mo. I pick <b>B</b>.

Edit: DOH!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

Re: CR: Replenish carbondioxide   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2005, 16:50