Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 20:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UNTIL NOW, ONLY INJECTABLE VACCINES

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 101

GMAT Tests User
UNTIL NOW, ONLY INJECTABLE VACCINES [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 00:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (01:09) correct 16% (00:15) wrong based on 64 sessions
PLEASE SOME ONE EXPLAIN THIS
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Attachments

Untitled.pdf [54.99 KiB]
Downloaded 256 times

To download please login or register as a user

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: UNTIL NOW, ONLY INJECTABLE VACCINES [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 10:14
E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: UNTIL NOW, ONLY INJECTABLE VACCINES [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 18:41
You need to find an answer which supports that "yes children will be given the new vaccine which is non-injectable"
Only E strenghtens the argument.
Expert Post
14 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1073

Kudos [?]: 4781 [14] , given: 163

Re: UNTIL NOW, ONLY INJECTABLE VACCINES [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 12:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Your stimulus says the following:
Until now, only injections of vaccine were available.
These were primarily used by older adults.
Now nasal sprays are available that prevent flu in children.
Children are more likely to contract and spread flu.

Conclusion: If nasal sprays are made available for children, it will greatly reduce the spread of flu across the population.

Does something come to mind when you read this conclusion? What came to my mind was that if children are most likely to contract and spread flu, they should have been given flu injections and that would have prevented spread of flu across the population. Why is it that availability of nasal spray will prevent the spread the flu but injections did not?

Now, I need to strengthen the argument so I should focus on my conclusion and see what will strengthen it the most.
Let's read the options:
1. If a person has already been given an injection, he is immune to flu. Nasal spray on top will not help in anyway.
2. This says that nasal sprays work in the same was as do injections. It does not tell me why injections could not prevent the spread of flu while the nasal spray will.
3. This tells us that the subsidies have kept injections affordable for all older adults. But it doesn't say that otherwise their cost is prohibitive. Also, it doesn't say anything about the cost of nasal spray. If this option said, "Injections are very expensive otherwise but nasal spray is a cheap alternative", it might have made a stronger contender. Still, we do not know whether cost is a factor that parents consider at all when getting vaccines for their children. To make this option the answer, we might even have to add something like "Parents are not willing to get their kids immunized if the vaccine is very expensive"
4. Few older adults catch flu from children doesn't strengthen my conclusion that making nasal sprays available for children will reduce the spread of flu across the population.
5. Now that is what I was looking for! A reason why parents don't give flu shots to their kids but will be willing to give nasal sprays. Parents don't like to give shots to their kids (could be because of pain associated with a shot or whatever) Now, with the availability of the nasal spray, they will be more inclined to have their kids vaccinated. This probably will help in preventing the spread of flu across the population.
Answer (E).

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: UNTIL NOW, ONLY INJECTABLE VACCINES [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 15:51
Karishma this is a very thorough explanation. Great work.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: UNTIL NOW, ONLY INJECTABLE VACCINES [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2014, 21:11
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: UNTIL NOW, ONLY INJECTABLE VACCINES   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2014, 21:11