Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 00:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Until quite recently, American economists have assumed that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Until quite recently, American economists have assumed that [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 13:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Until quite recently, American economists have assumed that the unemployment rate being four per cent, there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers.

(A) the unemployment rate being four per cent, there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers
(B) should the unemployment rate be four per cent, there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers
(C) were the unemployment rate four per cent, there is a rough balance between jobs and job seekers
(D) if the unemployment rate is four per cent, there is a rough balance between jobs and job seekers
(E) there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers when there is an unemployment rate that is four per cent
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: unemployment [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 14:05
bigtreezl wrote:
Until quite recently, American economists have assumed that the unemployment rate being four per cent, there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers.

(A) the unemployment rate being four per cent, there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers
(B) should the unemployment rate be four per cent, there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers
(C) were the unemployment rate four per cent, there is a rough balance between jobs and job seekers
(D) if the unemployment rate is four per cent, there is a rough balance between jobs and job seekers
(E) there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers when there is an unemployment rate that is four per cent

can you underline the phrase in question next time you post Verbal questions, pls?
My answer is D.
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: unemployment [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 17:03
bigtreezl wrote:

It is between C & D as jobs and job seekers are two things. usage of among is wrong.

I find C awkward but possibly is correct.

My problem with D is If clause is in present tense, means the conditional clause needs to have will + base verb. (from MGMAT)

What is the OA?
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: unemployment [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 19:53
icandy wrote:
bigtreezl wrote:

It is between C & D as jobs and job seekers are two things. usage of among is wrong.

My problem with D is If clause is in present tense, means the conditional clause needs to have will + base verb. (from MGMAT)

What is the OA?

this is exactly why I excluded B and D, but I was wrong

OA is D
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: unemployment [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 20:48
icandy wrote:
bigtreezl wrote:

What is the OA?

WIth C , i think the usage should be:

Were there X,there would be Y

for eg:
if he were to come along ,i would prefer this dress !!!

were introduces uncertainty hence would is reqd!!!
now in D ,if clause used ...
X assumed that if y is the case ,there is z --> SOUNDS CORRECT when used with assume
X assumed that if y is the case ,there will be z --> this loses since already assumption is made ,he says if x occurs y occurs at the same time not in futurre !!

I hope i could bring the point !!Correct me if im wrong

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Re: SC: unemployment   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2008, 20:48