Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2761 [12]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [5]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Until recently most astronomers believed that the space between the [#permalink]
Kudos
I have already explained Question 1.

3. It can be inferred from the passage that, if Fabian is correct, gas in the peripheral regions of a galaxy cluster
(A) streams outward into intergalactic space
(B) is hotter than gas in the central regions of the galaxy
(C) is composed primarily of gas left over from the big bang
(D) results in the creation of unusually large stars
(E) expands to increase the size of the galaxy

From the second para "Thus, the physicist Fabian reasoned that as intergalactic gas cools, the cooler gas shrinks inward toward the center of the galaxy. Meanwhile its place is taken by hotter intergalactic gas from farther out on the edge of the galaxy, which cools as it is compressed and flows into the galaxy."

From above, it it clear that gas in the external region is hotter than the gas in the central region. As gas cools down, it moves towards inner side of the galaxy.

The best option that summarizes above point is : (B) is hotter than gas in the central regions of the galaxy

5. According to the passage, Fabian believes that gas flowing into a central galaxy has which of the following characteristics?
(A) It is one-tenth hotter than it was in the outer regions of the galaxy cluster.
(B) It emits radiation with wavelengths that change as the gas moves toward the center of the galaxy.
(C) The total amount of radiation emitted diminishes as the gas cools.
(D) It loses 90 percent of its energy as it moves to the center of the galaxy.
(E) It condenses at a rate much slower than the rate of decrease in temperature as the gas flows inward.

From the 3rd para , "Because the strands of gas radiating from NGC 1275 are visible in optical photographs, Fabian suggested that such strands consisted not of gas blown out of the galaxy but of cooling flows of gas streaming inward. He noted that the wavelengths of the radiation emitted by a gas would changes as the gas cooled, so that as the gas flowed into the galaxy and became cooler, it would emit not x-rays, but visible light, like that which was captured in the photographs"

The lines above state that as gas cools down and moves towards the inner side of galaxy, the wavelength of the radiation would change

The option that summarizes above is : (B) It emits radiation with wavelengths that change as the gas moves toward the center of the galaxy.

Cheers :) !
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [2]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Re: Until recently most astronomers believed that the space between the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I got it ALL correct.

If someone have doubts I can give an explanation to help :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
carcass wrote:
I got it ALL correct.

Hoping to take you up on that offer to explain :D I also got all the answers correct but was struggling with question #5. --> " Fabian suggested that such strands consisted not of gas blown out of the galaxy but of cooling flows of gas streaming inward. He noted that the wavelengths of the radiation emitted by a gas would change as the gas cooled, so that as the gas flowed into the galaxy and became cooler , it would emit not x-rays, but visible light..."

ok, this is clearly what answer B says but then again: answer choice C says that "The total amount of radiation emitted diminishes as the gas cools" which, I think, can also be inferred from the above passage. If the gas cools down as it moves to towards the center of the galaxy, it will eventually "emit not x-rays, but visible light", hence no radiation but light. therefore, amount of radiation decreases as the gas cools down. I decided against this choice because answer choice B seemed to fit better what was literally stated in the passage and because 'total' seemed kind of 'extreme' but i'm still not too sure why choice C is wrong. I know it's been quite some time since you replied to this post but maybe you care to elaborate on question 5 :)

cheers,

Max
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
I have a question to 7).

Why is D) not the correct answer. The passage states that
"Fabian suggested that such strands consisted not of gas blown out of the galaxy but of cooling flows of gas streaming inward."
Isn't it legitime to infer that the gas comes from an outside explosion? Or is it too far-fetched to infer that these gases have to come from an explosion?

Thank you very much for your help!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 658
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Hello

I'm curious whether anybody of you has any advice on how to read clues in questions? Sometimes they are fairly obvious, and sometimes they aren't. For instance,
Q6 says: 6. According to the passage, Fabian’s theory makes use of which of the following principles? The answer to this questions resides in the first sentence of the second paragraph. However, it does not contain the word "principle" though it uses the phrase "well know". Nevertheless, as somebody such as me does not remember every detail after reading a passage and the scan for a certain either phrase or word doesn't work all the time, one is forced in a way (due to time constraints) to rely on the broad understanding of the passage. This happened in this case, and so my pick was E (bzz...! wrong: density, really?! ). Has anybody devised some cool method/approach to address this?

Thanks for sharing

u1983 GMATNinja SajjadAhmad workout GMATNinjaTwo Gnpth Bunuel carcass
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [1]
Given Kudos: 119
Send PM
Kudos
Can someone throw some light on why option B of Q7 is correct and not option D?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Kudos
aalekhoza wrote:
Can someone throw some light on why option B of Q7 is correct and not option D?

Thanks

Let me try:
Option D is opposite of what is mentioned in the passage: From paragraph 1—"Scientists have begun to suspect that this intergalactic gas is probably a mixture of gases left over from the “big bang” when the galaxies were formed and gas was forced out of galaxies by supernova explosions." So we can infer that intergalactic gas was a result not of explosions outside the galaxies, but rather of explosions within them.

Option B is correct because from last paragraph we have—"A fairly heretical idea in the 1970’s, the cooling-flow theory gained support when Fabian observed a cluster of galaxies in the constellation Perseus ...". So we can infer that because the idea was heretical, it was not widely accepted at that time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V22
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
carcass wrote:
I got it ALL correct.

Hello carcass

I need help with Q1
I dont agree with answer choice B which says that passage provides evidence. As per my understanding, the passage does not provide any evidence; passage simply has given Fabian's theory which weigh against the given theory
I did not find any opinion of the author, i think the author is simply stating facts

I think option C fits in better

Kindly help me here !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Kunal112 wrote:
carcass wrote:
I got it ALL correct.

Hello carcass

I need help with Q1
I dont agree with answer choice B which says that passage provides evidence. As per my understanding, the passage does not provide any evidence; passage simply has given Fabian's theory which weigh against the given theory
I did not find any opinion of the author, i think the author is simply stating facts

I think option C fits in better

Kindly help me here !

You can say that it talks about the research but there’s no discussion on the prospects of the research- there’s simply no talk about the future.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
Send PM
carcass wrote:
I got it ALL correct.

I am not getting for question 1
The passage is not saying anything about the evolution of galaxy
The passage is all about the space between the galaxy which is not empty
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
GPA: 3.02
Send PM
Hi, can anyone explain Q7? Thank you!!!
I wrongly choose D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
avi12345 wrote:
1. The primary purpose of the passage is to

(B) provide evidence to dispute an accepted theory about the evolution of galaxies - Para 1 states the a theory already existed, but Fabian challenged old theory by suggesting a new theory. Para2 and 3 supports this new theory. Hence, overall, passage provides evidence to dispute an accepted theory about the evolution of galaxies ( New Theory)

(E) reconcile opposing views on the formation of intergalactic gas - The passage is not comparing both views. It introduces old theory, then expands on the new theory to dispute old theory.

I crossed out option B as there is no talk about "evolution of galaxies", rather, "what is filled between the galaxies". Please help me understand how to come to the conclusion that these theories are about "evolution of galaxies". Can anyone explain the evolution of galaxies by reading this comprehension?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
This is regarding Question 1:
I crossed out option B as there is no talk about "evolution of galaxies", rather, "what is filled between the galaxies". Please help me understand how to come to the conclusion that these theories are about "evolution of galaxies". How can anyone explain the evolution of galaxies by reading this comprehension?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Kudos
anchopra wrote:
This is regarding Question 1:
I crossed out option B as there is no talk about "evolution of galaxies", rather, "what is filled between the galaxies". Please help me understand how to come to the conclusion that these theories are about "evolution of galaxies". How can anyone explain the evolution of galaxies by reading this comprehension?

Hi anchopra, this is my first time replying to someone on here, so bear with me as I try to explain as best as possible :)

From the first paragraph, we learn that the passage will be talking about a hypothesis that counteracts a traditional belief. This traditional belief being that there is no matter between galaxies. There's some helpful parts in the first paragraph that talk about evolution: "heavy “rain” of gas is falling into many galaxies... gas condenses into a collection of small stars, each a little larger than the planet Jupiter" - From this section we see that this "rain" is creating stars which are creating galaxies. The present tense also helps show that this is something that is currently occurring.

"The amount of “intergalactic rainfall” into some of these galaxies has been enough to double their mass in the time since they formed... mixture of gases left over from the “big bang” when the galaxies were formed." - From reading this section, it can be seen that the author is talking about the continual creation of these galaxies ("since they formed"). You are correct that the passage talks about what is filled between the galaxies, but the passage does refer to the continual creation of stars/galaxies (space is constantly moving and changing even to this day!).

When looking at answer B) I also was a little unsure about the "evolution of galaxies" part, but I think the most important statement from option B) is the "provide evidence to dispute an accepted theory" part. Hope this helps a bit!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 235 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Concentration: Statistics, Finance
GPA: 3.41
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
4. The author of the passage probably mentions Canizares’ determination in order to

(A) clarify an ambiguity in Fabian’s research findings
(B) illustrate a generalization about the temperature of gas in a galaxy cluster
(C) introduce a new argument in support of the orthodox view of galaxies
(D) provide support for Fabian’s assertions about the Perseus galaxies
(E) provide an alternate point of view concerning the movement of gas within a galaxy cluster
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts