Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 13:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Until the passage of the Piracy and Counterfeiting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 72 [1] , given: 0

Until the passage of the Piracy and Counterfeiting [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2008, 19:05
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

83% (02:08) correct 17% (01:11) wrong based on 33 sessions
Until the passage of the Piracy and Counterfeiting Amendments Act in 1982, a first-time charge of copyright infringement was merely a misdemeanor charge, federal prosecutors being unlikely in pursuing criminal copyright infringers, while offenders were subject to relatively small penalties.

A. charge, federal prosecutors being unlikely in pursuing criminal copyright infringers, while offenders were
B. charge, with federal prosecutors who were unlikely to pursue criminal copyright infringers, offenders being
C. charge, federal prosecutors unlikely to pursue criminal copyright infringers, while offenders were
D. charge; therefore, federal prosecutors were unlikely in pursuing criminal copyright infringers and offenders being
E. charge; therefore, federal prosecutors were unlikely to pursue criminal copyright infringers, and offenders were

Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish

Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Gmat set [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2008, 19:12
"Being" is almost always incorrect in GMAT so option A, B and D are dropped.

Between C, and E.

C. charge, federal prosecutors unlikely to pursue criminal copyright infringers, while offenders were
Everything correctly in place. Moreover it is shorter as compared to E.

E. charge; therefore, federal prosecutors were unlikely to pursue criminal copyright infringers, and offenders were
It looks like both "copyright infringers, and offenders" were subject to small penalties but penalty is only for offender.

Answer C.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Gmat set [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2008, 20:38
(E) for me

C seems to use disconnected clauses without any conjunctions.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Gmat set [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2008, 01:46
I say E

A. Wrong because of "being unlikely"
B. Wrong because of "with federal prosecutors"...with what?
C. Wrong because the first part of the sentence says, "first-time charge of copyright infringement WAS merely a misdemeanor," so when mentioning federal prosecutors one should use the past tense. This sentence doesn't.
D. Wrong because of "offenders being subject"

MBA Blog: University of Minnesota Carlson School of Management- http://unconventionalapplicant.blogspot.com/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Gmat set [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2008, 03:59
C for me, short and concise. "therefore" mainly used for Cause-Effect constructions, hence ruling our D&E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Gmat set [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2008, 05:55
OA is E

Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Gmat set [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2008, 06:58
Where is this question from? Please let me know
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 12

Re: SC: Gmat set [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2008, 07:06
C is wrong, the middle part of the sentence totally upsets the flow of the sentence. It looks as if it was just placed right in the middle of the sentence with no bearing on the meaning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 6

Re: SC: Gmat set [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2008, 07:12
Until the passage of the Piracy and Counterfeiting Amendments Act in 1982, a first-time charge of copyright infringement was merely a misdemeanor charge, federal prosecutors being unlikely in pursuing criminal copyright infringers, while offenders were subject to relatively small penalties.

A. charge, federal prosecutors being unlikely in pursuing criminal copyright infringers, while offenders were
B. charge, with federal prosecutors who were unlikely to pursue criminal copyright infringers, offenders being
D. charge; therefore, federal prosecutors were unlikely in pursuing criminal copyright infringers and offenders being
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Gmat set [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 18:31
I know OA is E. But I can not figure out why therefore sentense 1, and sentense 2. which looks very awkward.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 37

Re: SC: Gmat set [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 19:04
+1 for E.

therefore is functioning as "Hence" . ";" is the correct punctuation here as it connects two independent clauses.

Crick
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Gmat set [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 20:57
crick20002002 wrote:
+1 for E.

therefore is functioning as "Hence" . ";" is the correct punctuation here as it connects two independent clauses.

Crick

Yes, I notice ":", however after "therefore". it use "and" to connect two sentense.

I remember that "and" is not very appropriate to as conj. to link two sentense. That's why I am struggle here.

Someone mention about independent sentense, which I dont really think so.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 31

Re: SC: Gmat set [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 21:56
Answer should be E. C doesn't make sense because 'while' statement is awkward. It must show contrast.

Consider me giving KUDOS, if you find my post helpful.
If at first you don't succeed, you're running about average. ~Anonymous

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Until the passage of the Piracy and Counterfeiting [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2013, 06:35

federal prosecutors being unlikely in pursuing criminal copyright infringers is a run on sentence hence wrong

With federal prosecuter -wrong modifier
Being always wordy

same as B wrong modifier

prosecutors were....... and "offenders being" not parallel

cause and effect relationship by using Therefore
correct parallelism between prosecutors were.....and offenders were hence correct answer
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 19

Re: Until the passage of the Piracy and Counterfeiting [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2013, 10:16
I picked E.

I was between C and E, but I ultimetly discared C because it looks like a run-on sentence. E properly use Therefore has a connector and is parallel. My question is whether C is a run-on sentence?

Thanks.

MV
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing.” ― George S. Patton Jr

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 291

Re: SC: Gmat set [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 19:02
vksunder wrote:
Where is this question from? Please let me know

OA is E and the source is GMAT Prep.. ;-) Although I am a lil "late" in responding to ur query. It might be of help to others, I think.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: Until the passage of the Piracy and Counterfeiting [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 21:31
I am bit confused regarding the choice "E"
Per the rule, before and after the ";" there should be independent clause, independent of each other, But therefore is violating the rule.

Expert advice needed.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [3] , given: 0

Re: Until the passage of the Piracy and Counterfeiting [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2013, 03:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
A few comments: 'Being' isn't a safe criterion for just eliminating off the bat, as sometimes correct answer choices do use 'being'.

Here is my take on the question:

A and D should be eliminated, because "unlikely in" is non-idiomatic. The correct preposition to use with 'likely' or 'unlikely' is 'to'. Answer choices B, C, and E use 'unlikely to', so let's take a look at them.

Answer choice C is a run-on sentence. There is no preposition or connector connecting the fragment "federal prosecutors...infringers' to the previous part of the sentence. Thus the sentence as a whole is syntactically deficient. To makes sense, the sentence needs either a preposition, such as "with" (B) or punctuation or a conjunction, as in D and E
(semicolon and 'therefore').

This leaves us with answer choices B and E to choose from.

Answer choice B incorrectly uses the defining relative pronoun 'who' to describe 'federal prosecutors'. This is illogical. The point of the sentence isn't to define or characterize federal prosecutors as folks who always will not pursue copyright offenders. Furthermore, the phrase 'with federal prosecutors, etc.' poorly modifies what comes previously. We can't say of a 'misdemeanor charge' that it is 'with federal prosecutors, etc.' This answer choice falls on what the OG calls 'logical predication'. The use of 'being' also adds to the poor construction of this sentence.

This leaves us with E, which inserts punctuation and a conjunction to clarify the logical relations between clauses, and clean up the muddled string of modifiers.

neelesh wrote:

http://econgm.at/economistgmat
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: Until the passage of the Piracy and Counterfeiting [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2013, 17:16
Sorry to say but, this does not clarify my doubt.
Is sentence after semicolon an "independent clause"?
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Until the passage of the Piracy and Counterfeiting [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2014, 06:16

Construction IC,Modifier,DC which is wrong so A/B/C are out.

'To pursue' is better than 'in pursuing'

Hence (E)

Rgds,
TGC!

Re: Until the passage of the Piracy and Counterfeiting   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2014, 06:16