Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 17:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unusual application

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Unusual application [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 09:42
Hello everybody!

I would not post in here if I could classify myself. I will give you a short and not to detailed briefing about my situation.

I came from a middleschool and started my apprenticeship right away. I finished this one as a salesman, but nothing spectacular.
After that I worked for a big pharma company, a random job, nothing special. I did this job for about 4 years, then I had to quit to do my obligatory social year in Germany and spent there 9 month. During this time I decided to study. I went to Austria and finished my Bachelor in BA (exchange semester in Mexico), my average mark is about an 80%+ (or 1,8 German/Austrian) and I finished without honors.
During this time I had a high profile internship in the pharma company, therefore I went to the headquaters based in Basel/Switzerland, I was even allowed to attend several Leadship-Team meetings, one of them in Spain/Madrid.
Thereafter I travelled for 6 month through Asia, just to come home and do my GMAT.

From all my jobs I ever had I could obtain extremly good employers' references.

Age 27
Male
German
Englisch, German fluent
Spanish more or less
Started to "work" with 13 as a paperboy and since then always work whenever I could.
TOEFL: 98
GMAT: 750

Helping my mother a lot with her social project for poor countries.
Member of the local football team for 20 years.
Extremly sportive (Mountainbiking in the Alps, Swimming, Football, Jogging, Wintersports,...)
A lot of cultural expieriences (I have visited 32 countries in my life so far, quite some of them are 3rd world countries)

Since I want to apply for the MiM at the LBS and Masters of other high profile universities, I wanted to ask if I still fit in there. The average age is about 22-25, mostly people didnt work before.

I would be really thankful if somebody could help me to sort me into: Your CV is wierd - no chance! Or maybe this is more (what I think): Interesting way - some expirience in the classroom! Or maybe: Whatever - nobody cares about that!

Thank you very much in advance, sure I'll reply again!

Best regards

Sebastian
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: Unusual application [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 09:47
I think you have a very interesting profile and that if spin correctly, you should have a good shot. Personally speaking, I have absolutely no knowledge in MiM so I won't pretend that I know what I'm talking about. But just simply judging from what you wrote, I think you'll probably be that "oddball" that adcoms enjoys admitting.

By the way, which pharma in Switzerland, if you don't mind me asking? I can only think of Roche and Novartis that are based in Basel. I currently work for Novartis at the R&D (more R than D) arm in the San Diego site.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Unusual application [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 10:32
bakfed wrote:
I think you have a very interesting profile and that if spin correctly, you should have a good shot. Personally speaking, I have absolutely no knowledge in MiM so I won't pretend that I know what I'm talking about. But just simply judging from what you wrote, I think you'll probably be that "oddball" that adcoms enjoys admitting.

By the way, which pharma in Switzerland, if you don't mind me asking? I can only think of Roche and Novartis that are based in Basel. I currently work for Novartis at the R&D (more R than D) arm in the San Diego site.

Hello Bakfed,

Thanks for your answer. I feel somehow the same, I can't tell why. I am a really diverse guy and I hate the usual approaches, I don't like the mainstream and I like people who think and do things different. I will go for the application anyways, but it's nice to have some respsonse anyways.

I worked for Roche in the Messeturm. It was a great time and a nice place to work. I am looking forward to work in Basel again. The other years I worked for Roche were not in Basel, but in Germany. But it was exactly the same, the employee is the center of the company. Sometimes it feels odd how they take care about you. I haven't worked for other big companies (except MAN Trucks, but it was horrible), but it gives them a huge advantage.

How is San Diego, expensive isn't it?

Regards
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: Unusual application [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 13:50
It definitely is pretty expensive here in San Diego, but compared to Basel, I can't imagine you guys have it any cheaper :P I've just recently met with the rep for Roche here in San Diego to discuss the advancement in a transfection unit that Roche has been developing for years. Overall, Roche is such a big (and healthy) family that it makes it hard for folks to leave that company.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Unusual application [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 23:12
bakfed wrote:
It definitely is pretty expensive here in San Diego, but compared to Basel, I can't imagine you guys have it any cheaper :P I've just recently met with the rep for Roche here in San Diego to discuss the advancement in a transfection unit that Roche has been developing for years. Overall, Roche is such a big (and healthy) family that it makes it hard for folks to leave that company.

Yes you just hit the point. Its a family. Everybody is so close to each other. You are the new guy for about half a day, by then you are already 80% integrated.
The advantage of Basel is that it is in the corner of Switzerland/France/Germany. I earned my good salary while I could live on the German side (15 mins. to work). So I had all the benefits ;)
Re: Unusual application   [#permalink] 09 May 2011, 23:12