Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 01:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unusual Background/Chances for Top 10 b-schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Unusual Background/Chances for Top 10 b-schools [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2006, 11:39
Dear Linda, hello Accepted.com!

I'm possibly going to apply for fall 2007.

I'm an enlisted officer (a Captain) in the German army with a 13-year contract that'll end in June 2007. My positions during these years included commander of a special forces platoon (responsible for over 70 soldiers, including ranger and paratrooper training courses), software engineer in the international branch of a big army command (for 3 years) and department head of another big army command (for 2 years).

From fall 1998 to Spring 2002, I attended the quite well-respected University of the Federal Armed Forces, where I optained a MSc in Electrical Engineering and Information Technology. I now also hold a doctoral degree in Information Technology because I continued working for the university besides my job directly after it (the time as a software engineer and IT-Officer).

Other details:
- Low GPA (2.7)
- Doctoral degree with honor
- Full time work experience (without the time at the University) about 8 years.
- Active for 3 years in a German Rotaract Club (the 'youth' organization of Rotary International).

GMAT: Not attended so far. For evaluating the chances, let's consider a 720 (because I think that'll be quite realistic).

I will be 33 at the time entering a program next year, so because of my age and the fact that I already hold a doctoral degree, I would only apply to the top 10 business schools (HBS, Wharton, Stanford, Chicago, Kellog,...). If I were rejected at all of these, I wouln't attend a program at all. My goal (though I haven't finally decided) is to become an executive of a company.

So this is why I'm so interested in what you think of my chances and what GMAT result would be necessary to have a chance of more than 50% to get admitted to one of the programs.

Thanks a lot and Best Regards

Daniel
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 340 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unusual Background/Chances for Top 10 b-schools [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2006, 17:04
Expert's post
ccax wrote:
Dear Linda, hello Accepted.com!

I'm possibly going to apply for fall 2007.

I'm an enlisted officer (a Captain) in the German army with a 13-year contract that'll end in June 2007. My positions during these years included commander of a special forces platoon (responsible for over 70 soldiers, including ranger and paratrooper training courses), software engineer in the international branch of a big army command (for 3 years) and department head of another big army command (for 2 years).

From fall 1998 to Spring 2002, I attended the quite well-respected University of the Federal Armed Forces, where I optained a MSc in Electrical Engineering and Information Technology. I now also hold a doctoral degree in Information Technology because I continued working for the university besides my job directly after it (the time as a software engineer and IT-Officer).

Other details:
- Low GPA (2.7)
- Doctoral degree with honor
- Full time work experience (without the time at the University) about 8 years.
- Active for 3 years in a German Rotaract Club (the 'youth' organization of Rotary International).

GMAT: Not attended so far. For evaluating the chances, let's consider a 720 (because I think that'll be quite realistic).

I will be 33 at the time entering a program next year, so because of my age and the fact that I already hold a doctoral degree, I would only apply to the top 10 business schools (HBS, Wharton, Stanford, Chicago, Kellog,...). If I were rejected at all of these, I wouln't attend a program at all. My goal (though I haven't finally decided) is to become an executive of a company.

So this is why I'm so interested in what you think of my chances and what GMAT result would be necessary to have a chance of more than 50% to get admitted to one of the programs.

Thanks a lot and Best Regards

Daniel

Daniel,

I'm answering for Linda. Your profile seems very impressive. Unfortunately, there are no GMAT scores that directly translate into fifty-fiifty odds at the very top schools. Anything above, say, a 720 to 740 is impressive but probably will not substantially increase your chances. Because you have a lowish GPA, you will however want to get the highest GMAT you can just to completely reassure the schools that you can thrive academically.

You should also keep in mind that at schools like HBS and Stanford the average class age is drifting downward so you may have a tougher time getting admitted full-time there then you would at Wharton or Chicago. Because the schools you listed are so competitive and their admit rates so low, there are very few candidates who I would say have a "better than 50-50 chance" going in. I don't mean to discourage you because your background is (a) impressive and (b) unusual so you should be able to break into one of these schools (in my opinion, the odds at Chicago and Wharton seem better for you).

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unusual Background/Chances for Top 10 b-schools [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2006, 08:03
Hello Paul. Thanks a lot for your assessment.