Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 22:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unusual Computer problems during exam?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Unusual Computer problems during exam? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2005, 12:57
Last week i took GMAT. Six of us who were taking ETS tests, experienced computer problems - getting stuck while typing, mouse not responding, system was too slow & sluggish. After couple of us reported this problem the protor shutoff our systems and asked us to wait outside.

The center manager escalated the problem to ETS while we all waited outside. Needless to state, that many of us in this room, felt it was better for us to retest rather than continue the tests under this circumstance. We couldn't rerechedule the tests at the center. Having no recourse, we continued with the tests... i didn't do well and the circumstances had lot to contribute. I spoke with ETS on monday, first working day after this incidence, and they are going to take 1 week to look into this matter..

The spoke to the schools i'm applying to and they seem very accomodating. They are encouraging to submit the current scores and also keep them informed about retest dates and new scores. This has been encouraging thus far..

Have any of you encountered similar problems, and if so, did u have to escalate this to ETS and how did they respond. Did ETS cancel the score & allow retest? etc..etc.. what other course of action would be appropriate...

Look forrward to your response(s) and will also keep you posted as events unwind.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2005, 14:39
That's rather strange. I thought ETS had stricter standards for its certified test centres with regards to their equipments!

I hope all goes well with you and don't worry about the schools. Normally, they're quite understanding and if ETS puts in an official word, it definitely is official.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2005, 14:58
Wow , that was quite an experience
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2005, 16:57
This is a followup to original positing. Here's the final verdict:

ETS took about 1 month to investigate and agreed for retest. To those who end up in similar situation, here is my advice:

If you experience any computer problems during the tests, you really have two choices (a) abort the test and request a retest subsequently or (b) If you score the tests, the score are send anyway to 5 institutons, in which case you have option to retest only.

Follow the following steps:
a) Call ETS immediately after the test/next day and get a case ID
b) Write a complain letter to Candidate Relations with the case ID -- so ETS can officially start the investigation
c) Followup every week and request for phone update--- Please be religious
d) In few weeks to month, ETS will call and that time u can request a retest.. ETS will assign a voucher to pay for retest.... Voila you're done!! and do well next time.

Overall, i would suggest this option only if you can afford the wait time for retest.. If you're horizon is shorter-- don't count on this option and try the reimbursement option - since retests could take atleast couple of months
  [#permalink] 08 Feb 2005, 16:57