Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 08:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unusual Older Applicant, 32 but 2 years out of undergrad.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Unusual Older Applicant, 32 but 2 years out of undergrad. [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 17:11
Hi,

I am a Canadian caucasian male aged 32 working in Canada as a senior analyst in corporate strategy consulting at a big 4 firm. I am planning to do an MBA to advance within the firm (unless something striking happens). My profile is as follows:

Academics - Entered a top Canadian Undergrad in BSc Life Sciences, but was pursuing a music career full-time. Grades suffered dearly as I was off for weeks or months at a time, sometimes withdrawing from full years of the program. I didn't even go to my labs (though I received top grades for work I actually submitted) or complete many assignments or examinations. Did a BBA at a verrrry non-target low-tier university in Canada several years later.
First Undergraduate GPA: 2.83 BSc in 11.5 credits (unfinished). Second undergraduate BBA GPA: 3.7 equivalent (my guess in conversion. scored a perfect 100 in first year stats to boost my confidence).

GMAT: 760 (Q50, V42) done in one shot in 2nd year of BBA program with 9 days prep. Can re-do, no problem if score expires.

Work Experience - Right out of high school I started tutoring pro-bono and switched to undergraduate admissions consulting both volunteering and for private school clients to support myself during school and my music career. Was the touring bassist and marketing/PR manager for a rock band for 7 years and was told by bandmates and others in the business that I should study commerce. In order to pay for it, I worked for 2.5 years in Canadian equivalent of TSA (worked to Management in 1.5 years), but gave up route to Operations Manager in order to start my BBA. Post-BBA, entered big 4 firm as an analyst. Might have had slight knock at top firms, but unreputable institution killed most chance of that.

Extracurriculars - As stated before, tutored and secured admissions and scholarships for many underprivileged students over the years. In my first undergrad I founded a Jazz Combo/Club, playing at local jazz hotspots. At the BBA undergrad, I founded the campus business council overarching all business groups and founded the consulting club. I also won some case competitions and ran GMAT tutoring sessions.

MBA Goals - I plan to either advance at my firm or secure a senior position at a higher-profile firm. I have an entrepreneurial tinge, though, so if something bites me, I will pursue that full-out, despite my age.

Concern - Fairly obvious: Terrible first go at reasonable undergrad. Unreputable second undergrad. Advanced age with arguably little advancement relative to age-cohort peers due to years in band.

Targets: As high as I can reach. Drive is no issue.

Thank you very much in advance.

S.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unusual Older Applicant, 32 but 2 years out of undergrad. [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 17:28
solidify,
Your GMAT score and second undergrad GPA make up for your earlier academic weakness, which in any event you have a very interesting explanation for (one that business schools are likely to warm to). Your age is an issue in the sense that it places you in the oldest 10% of most of the top schools, though being among the strongest of the 30+ crowd offset even the age issue. So your 'issues' are not so bad and your music and admissions work will certainly help you stand out. I think you could aim fairly high (top 15), but would want to see your CV/resume before naming names. Feel free to email it to me at paulbodine@yahoo.com.

--Paul Bodine Consulting, Great Applications for Business School, www.paulsbodine.com/testimonials

solidify wrote:
Hi,

I am a Canadian caucasian male aged 32 working in Canada as a senior analyst in corporate strategy consulting at a big 4 firm. I am planning to do an MBA to advance within the firm (unless something striking happens). My profile is as follows:

Academics - Entered a top Canadian Undergrad in BSc Life Sciences, but was pursuing a music career full-time. Grades suffered dearly as I was off for weeks or months at a time, sometimes withdrawing from full years of the program. I didn't even go to my labs (though I received top grades for work I actually submitted) or complete many assignments or examinations. Did a BBA at a verrrry non-target low-tier university in Canada several years later.
First Undergraduate GPA: 2.83 BSc in 11.5 credits (unfinished). Second undergraduate BBA GPA: 3.7 equivalent (my guess in conversion. scored a perfect 100 in first year stats to boost my confidence).

GMAT: 760 (Q50, V42) done in one shot in 2nd year of BBA program with 9 days prep. Can re-do, no problem if score expires.

Work Experience - Right out of high school I started tutoring pro-bono and switched to undergraduate admissions consulting both volunteering and for private school clients to support myself during school and my music career. Was the touring bassist and marketing/PR manager for a rock band for 7 years and was told by bandmates and others in the business that I should study commerce. In order to pay for it, I worked for 2.5 years in Canadian equivalent of TSA (worked to Management in 1.5 years), but gave up route to Operations Manager in order to start my BBA. Post-BBA, entered big 4 firm as an analyst. Might have had slight knock at top firms, but unreputable institution killed most chance of that.

Extracurriculars - As stated before, tutored and secured admissions and scholarships for many underprivileged students over the years. In my first undergrad I founded a Jazz Combo/Club, playing at local jazz hotspots. At the BBA undergrad, I founded the campus business council overarching all business groups and founded the consulting club. I also won some case competitions and ran GMAT tutoring sessions.

MBA Goals - I plan to either advance at my firm or secure a senior position at a higher-profile firm. I have an entrepreneurial tinge, though, so if something bites me, I will pursue that full-out, despite my age.

Concern - Fairly obvious: Terrible first go at reasonable undergrad. Unreputable second undergrad. Advanced age with arguably little advancement relative to age-cohort peers due to years in band.

Targets: As high as I can reach. Drive is no issue.

Thank you very much in advance.

S.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unusual Older Applicant, 32 but 2 years out of undergrad. [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 07:47
Based on our experience working with slightly oder candidates, you would have an excellent chance at certain top programs (those that are receptive to candidates who have overcome obstacles and figured out what they wanted to do later in life). From what you present, I would focus on (a) those schools with strong entrepreneurial program, (b) those that re open to slightly older candidates and (c) those that like students who have comeback stories. Based on this, I recommend that you start by researching the following schools: Wharton, Sloan, Booth, Anderson, Marshall, Ross and Fuqua.

Feel free to call us at Manhattan Review and we will be happy to provide a more in-depth candidacy assessment.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: Unusual Older Applicant, 32 but 2 years out of undergrad.   [#permalink] 13 Feb 2013, 07:47