Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 19:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unusual undergrad major for MBA programs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Unusual undergrad major for MBA programs [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2007, 07:25
I was hoping to get some advice from some of the knowledgable people here. I was just posting in a B-school life thread about how although my undergrad major was not at all business related, I did take several business school related classes.

I got a BS in Human Ecology and my major was (get ready for this-it's very long!) Human Development and Family Science, Middle Childhood Education Option, specializing in Social Studies and Reading Language Arts. Basically, it was to prepare me to either go to graduate school or to a post-baccalaureate certification program (either option would take about 2 years and the same amount of $) to get certified to teach grades 4 - 9.

Well, considering that I have zero experience working with children, and my work experience (I was working full-time through the last part of undergrad) is more business oriented, and my interests have changed, and I make more money (and did even before I got my undergrad) than I would with a Masters in Elementary Education, I decided to go the MBA route.

So, I guess my question is, how closely do schools look at the actual classes you took as an undergraduate in the application process? Do they just look at what your major was and your GPA? Should I highlight in my essay that although one would not think I've taken any business related courses, that because of my specialization areas I have taken stats, micro/macro economics, organizational psycology and accounting (although the accounting was an elective I took the quarter that I graduated because I was already considering bschool)?

Sorry if this sounds like a frivolous question, but especially since I'm applying to a PT program, where they cut out a lot of the prereqs, I'd like to give myself every advantage I can with a seemingly odd major. Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unusual undergrad major for MBA programs [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2007, 09:15
ishcabibble wrote:
So, I guess my question is, how closely do schools look at the actual classes you took as an undergraduate in the application process? Do they just look at what your major was and your GPA? Should I highlight in my essay that although one would not think I've taken any business related courses, that because of my specialization areas I have taken stats, micro/macro economics, organizational psycology and accounting (although the accounting was an elective I took the quarter that I graduated because I was already considering bschool)?

Sorry if this sounds like a frivolous question, but especially since I'm applying to a PT program, where they cut out a lot of the prereqs, I'd like to give myself every advantage I can with a seemingly odd major. Thanks!

Most (if not all) schools will ask for your transcripts and they will probably take a look at which courses you took and how you performed in them. They won't just look at your major and GPA.

However, being a PT program, they may have a list of typical majors or a defined set of majors from which you can apply. I think you should send an e-mail to the school if the specific information is unclear.

Furthermore, what you will need to address during essays, is the why MBA, and the major may or may not come up during that particular process.

L.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2007, 11:39
Thanks, lepium! Fortunately, there is not a list of specific majors from which you can apply. In the info. session I went to last week, there was someone who had a linguistics degree and also someone who had a womens studies degree. It seems that it's not that unusual for folks to get jobs that are fairly unrelated to their undergrad degree!
CEO
CEO
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2007, 02:01
I agree with Lepium. Don't forget that most BA/BS degree programs are foundational learning programs, they are not intended to prepare students for specific career paths. Thus, it is very common to encounter students with work experience that is far removed from their major field of study.
  [#permalink] 04 Aug 2007, 02:01