Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 09:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unusually High GMAT Score Increases Nullified by GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Unusually High GMAT Score Increases Nullified by GMAT? [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 08:05
This post was
BOOKMARKED
According to the GMAT Handbook it says that they can cancel your score if you have "unusually high score changes" on different exams...This seems like a ridiculous concept. Has this ever happened to anybody? For example, if somebody gets a 450 and then the next exam they get a 700, that GMAT could actually not approve the score? This seems like this biggest B.S. I've ever heard of. On this board I have heard of people with drastic improvements and have never heard of them actually implementing this....It's almost as if they are discouraging improvements that are drastic, which are usually the result of hard work.

Any experienced GMAT people have some advice on this or have ever heard of this policy being implemented?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Unusually High GMAT Score Increases Nullified by GMAT? [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 08:18
Anyone...mods? Instructors?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2132

Kudos [?]: 7243 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Unusually High GMAT Score Increases Nullified by GMAT? [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 08:24
Expert's post
Never heard of this being enforced. I do not think it is a concern but this is a measure to prevent other people from taking a test for you (in case the scan security if somehow compromised)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Unusually High GMAT Score Increases Nullified by GMAT? [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 08:28
Thanks for the reply...I agree with you obviously if someone were to be taking the test for you. I just think its crazy that the GMAT can decide your score is "too high" based on a previous test and just cancel it without any evidence of cheating. That would seem like perhaps the most frustrating experience for somebody who made a high jump. Even on this board I've heard of people going from the 400's to 700's so while it is not common, I would say it does happen without cheating!

Let's say somebody took the test without studying and then took it after studying again.....Seems logical they could increase very very high amounts.

Just overall shocked that the GMAT would put a policy like this in place..it almost discourages hard work if enforced!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2132

Kudos [?]: 7243 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Unusually High GMAT Score Increases Nullified by GMAT? [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 08:39
Expert's post
bjlhoops wrote:
Thanks for the reply...I agree with you obviously if someone were to be taking the test for you. I just think its crazy that the GMAT can decide your score is "too high" based on a previous test and just cancel it without any evidence of cheating. That would seem like perhaps the most frustrating experience for somebody who made a high jump. Even on this board I've heard of people going from the 400's to 700's so while it is not common, I would say it does happen without cheating!

Let's say somebody took the test without studying and then took it after studying again.....Seems logical they could increase very very high amounts.

Just overall shocked that the GMAT would put a policy like this in place..it almost discourages hard work if enforced!

It is very hard to increase by more than 200 points.
Over the years, GMAC has compiled statistical tables that say only XXX people increased by X points and so on.

For example if you take the test on Sept 18 and get 450 an then on Oct 19 and get 760 - that's very suspicious as I can't imagine anyone be able to improve so much in such a period of time. However, if you took it 3 months later and you have 200 or so points, then it is probably acceptable.

They may still flag your result and review the exam conditions (footage from the cameras, etc) to make sure you were not "helped" but I don't think anyone legitimate has any reason to be concerned. GMAC has been very helpful and cooperative with students lately. It has been very pleasant to work with.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Followers: 228

Kudos [?]: 1958 [0], given: 665

Re: Unusually High GMAT Score Increases Nullified by GMAT? [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 09:12
Expert's post
bb wrote:
bjlhoops wrote:

It is very hard to increase by more than 200 points.
Over the years, GMAC has compiled statistical tables that say only XXX people increased by X points and so on.

For example if you take the test on Sept 18 and get 450 an then on Oct 19 and get 760 - that's very suspicious as I can't imagine anyone be able to improve so much in such a period of time. However, if you took it 3 months later and you have 200 or so points, then it is probably acceptable.

They may still flag your result and review the exam conditions (footage from the cameras, etc) to make sure you were not "helped" but I don't think anyone legitimate has any reason to be concerned. GMAC has been very helpful and cooperative with students lately. It has been very pleasant to work with.

Hi BB

of course if I have a score of 300 (for istance) last year and this year 720 why i can't improve ?? should be not reasonable by GMAC cancels your score. There are CCTV cameras, your digitally firm and a lot of time to improve in between.

I do not think in this scenario to be afraid, what do you think BB ?

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Re: Unusually High GMAT Score Increases Nullified by GMAT?   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2012, 09:12