Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Upcoming interview question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Upcoming interview question [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 10:24
Hi Admissionado,

I have an upcoming interview (first one ever) and I have a couple of questions as I prepare.

1. Is it good to mention the other schools when I get asked? The other schools are higher ranked than this one so I'm worried about how they might perceive that. When I first applied to this school I'm interviewing at, I only listed a PT backup option so they may think this is the only FT program I applied to. However, after a GMAT retake, I decided to apply to some additional FT programs (higher ranked) after the app submission for this school.

2. If I say, I applied to X, Y, Z schools because of the "close knit community, smaller isolated towns to build closer relationships, distinct X program, and the strong networks not just in the US but also abroad", do you think this is a sufficient answer?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 523 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Upcoming interview question [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2014, 04:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1of2 wrote:
Hi Admissionado,

I have an upcoming interview (first one ever) and I have a couple of questions as I prepare.

1. Is it good to mention the other schools when I get asked? The other schools are higher ranked than this one so I'm worried about how they might perceive that. When I first applied to this school I'm interviewing at, I only listed a PT backup option so they may think this is the only FT program I applied to. However, after a GMAT retake, I decided to apply to some additional FT programs (higher ranked) after the app submission for this school.

2. If I say, I applied to X, Y, Z schools because of the "close knit community, smaller isolated towns to build closer relationships, distinct X program, and the strong networks not just in the US but also abroad", do you think this is a sufficient answer?

Hey there,

Good questions

1. You can omit offering up this information to them. If they press you though, no need to lie. But be READY to answer the questions they might ask. (Like "What if you get into that program and ours? where would you go and why?") As long as you have a thoughtful answer, no bad can come. (PS don't tell them you would for sure go to the other school :) )

2. It's a good start. But you also want to think about the DIFFERENCES between the programs. And the particular advantages of the one who is interviewing you.

Hope this helps,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Upcoming interview question [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 13:49
JonAdmissionado wrote:
1of2 wrote:
Hi Admissionado,

Hey there,

Good questions

1. You can omit offering up this information to them. If they press you though, no need to lie. But be READY to answer the questions they might ask. (Like "What if you get into that program and ours? where would you go and why?") As long as you have a thoughtful answer, no bad can come. (PS don't tell them you would for sure go to the other school :) )

2. It's a good start. But you also want to think about the DIFFERENCES between the programs. And the particular advantages of the one who is interviewing you.

Hope this helps,
JF

Regard #1, I will try to omit the other schools and say that I am planning on applying to a PT program as a backup (which is true).
However, would this information be used for possible scholarship chances? I don't think my scholarship chances are high but I might erase any scholarship considerations if I told them I'm only applying to this school and a PT program.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: HBS '17, CBS '16, Yale '17
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 23

Re: Upcoming interview question [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 14:07
School admissions know most applicants apply to more than one school (naive to think otherwise)! I think what they care more is that their school is your top choice.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 523 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Upcoming interview question [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 23:44
Expert's post
applebees wrote:
School admissions know most applicants apply to more than one school (naive to think otherwise)! I think what they care more is that their school is your top choice.

That's true. But again you can be put in a situation which would "force" you to lie. Like someone who applies to NYU and Wharton, and NYU asks "If you got into both where would you go?". But that's exactly the thing. you don't NEED to pretend you would prefer to go to NYU, instead you can just say something like "I'd have to consider it when I get in. It's true that Wharton has a better ranking, but NYU has its own advantages like A, B, C." You can be truthful and practical!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!