Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 13:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Update: From GMAT loser to fighter in six weeks...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 17:16
That's great! I'm glad that you took a deep breath and endured another study period for the GMAT. You have given yourself a chance at your target schools. It's a lot to ask, but you must put your nose to the grindstone one more time and maximize the quality of your application. Your GPA is going to be above the middle 80% at almost every school so that will be a plus. You need to do what you can to sell your work experience as unique, and most importantly, valuable to the school.

You should switch your efforts to the B-School application forum full-time now and utilize all the knowledge and support available. I've been hard at work on my applications and it will be great to see you over there regularly. You were an inspiration when I was preparing for my re-take, and I will be newly motivated seeing you over there regularly.

It looks like the application pool is tough this year, but you can do it. I will tell my dogs you made it!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 20:02
Matt, you deserve 3 cheers!! I adore your perseverence!! Congrats. :party hard!

:band
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 20:19
congtrats.......You did it.
I know a couple of folks, who with 640 got into UC Berkeley. We all know that you are very articulate and now its all upto your essays and we know you can do it...

Enjoy.
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2006, 12:23
Matt,

SUPERB!!! I can smell your victory all the way across the ocean!!! :P :-D I had no doubt about you getting that desired score!!! Keep this attitude throughout your application process!!!

All the best and let me know when you're about to visit Kirkwood!!! I'll go too!!!

Best,
u2lovergirl
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2006, 12:32
I knew it was just a matter of time. Three cheers for Matt!
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2006, 13:14
Matt, congratulations :woohoo

Good luck with apps..

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2006, 05:38
Congratulations from both of us here Matt (me & my daughter) :) You are the man. You never gave up!

We all here in the club wish you all the very best buddy. Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Cheers :beer
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2006, 07:30
Thanks for the recognition guys! Unfortunately, I am going to have a difficult time convincing some adcoms that my quantitative is at par with the rest of their applicants. Nevertheless, I am now participating in various b-school blogs and forums at a cluster of schools that I intend to apply at in R2. The underdog story is just beginning...

Essays, the next stage, are just as, if not more challenging than the GMAT. We have to switch our minds from passively scanning information to actively creating a compelling "brand" for ourselves. Each one uniquely tailored to the school that we fit into best.

Yesterday was "composition day one" and I just stared at a blank word document for two hours before I could find a theme to start from. Every single one of those 500 words (per essay) has to stick. Schools want to know exactly why we want to study there. What we have to offer to our cohort groups, what we will do immediately after finishing our MBA etc. This is very difficult to articulate in a two to three page essay.

Like Pelihu said, it's nose to the grindstone from now until the end of the year....
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2006, 11:36
Matt,

With a clear improvement in scores and a unique background should help you prepare well for the applications. Make your target school choices carefully, and maximize the impact for every app. You never know what catches an adcom's eye!

You've been an awesome source of perseverance and I'm sure many will appreciate and learn from what you've been through and where you are now. For now quit the GMAT obsession and begin the app obsession ;) and everyone here will hop to hear good news from you when you finish your applications in an year! You should also consider the fact that many you interacted with here will perhaps go on to great schools and they can help you in your applications process.

Good luck,
-n

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2006, 16:04
Congrats GMATT73 !! This is an amazing effort and a great example of perseverance. I wish you all the very best for your applications !!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2006, 19:31
I guess I am always late ... but CONGRATULATIONS MATT!!!!! - I am yet to accumulate the confidence to book another date ....
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2006, 06:33
Great ! I am very happy for you ! All the best for your future.

If IMD is one of your target schools, I would be please to advise your during the application process.

Christoph

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Current Student

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2006, 08:28
christoph wrote:

If IMD is one of your target schools, I would be please to advise your during the application process.

Christoph

Thanks Christoph. I'm currently looking at a handful of schools in the States around upper tier two and lower tier one range. Will apply to one or to long shot programs as well. Never considered IMD. Does the school year begin in the fall as well?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2006, 08:47
perseverance!
This word fits perfectly. I truly admire your character.
If I were a adcom committe member, I will select you! :lol:

I need to thank you because your posts (in verbal) helped me a lot, moreover your story inspired me.
Current Student

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2006, 21:17
died4me wrote:
perseverance!

I need to thank you because your posts (in verbal) helped me a lot, moreover your story inspired me.

Your words are really taken to heart. The fact is, based on my exhaustive research over the past few months, almost every top 20 ranked program, excluding HSW, has a standard GMAT range of 640~750. That being the case, I expect my chances of admission at a competitive program for 2007 to be about 1%.

In all honesty, I am pouring all my energies into the essays and will apply this round will the intention of "getting a foot in the door for 2008." Realistically, I need to spend at least six months studying the fundamentals: statistics, calculus, micro/macro economics and finance. Courses which are now availible worldwide from the flexible UC Online Extension Center.

Therefore, WCS, assuming that I get dinged at every school I apply at this year, I will retake the GMAT next summer with (hopefully) stronger math skills, targeting the 680+ range. From personal and empirical observations, moving from a consistent 550 to 600 is a step up, from 600 to 650 is a jump, but, IMHO, from 640 to 680+ takes "a solid understanding" of either Q or V. I am going to target Q because, no matter which school we ultimately choose, Babson or Boston, that first year core will be essentially math intensive.

That being said, see you back in the forum after the new year.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2006, 07:24
GMATT73 wrote:
christoph wrote:

Christoph

Thanks Christoph. I'm currently looking at a handful of schools in the States around upper tier two and lower tier one range. Will apply to one or to long shot programs as well. Never considered IMD. Does the school year begin in the fall as well?

No. It starts in January. Only 1 intake. And its a short program. So it may not suit you. But its a great school. BW recently ranked it at 1 in Europe. Very nice surrounding. Just in front of the lake of Geneva ;-)

http://www.imd.ch

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Current Student

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2006, 08:37
christoph wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
christoph wrote:

Christoph

No. It starts in January. Only 1 intake. And its a short program. So it may not suit you. But its a great school. BW recently ranked it at 1 in Europe. Very nice surrounding. Just in front of the lake of Geneva ;-)

http://www.imd.ch

Splendid school website Christof, thanks for the link. My first impression of the school is that it is somewhat of a "United Nations MBA Program." Must be a very invigorating learning enviornment. :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2006, 11:51
GMATT73 wrote:
died4me wrote:
perseverance!

Your words are really taken to heart. The fact is, based on my exhaustive research over the past few months, almost every top 20 ranked program, excluding HSW, has a standard GMAT range of 640~750. That being the case, I expect my chances of admission at a competitive program for 2007 to be about 1%.

In all honesty, I am pouring all my energies into the essays and will apply this round will the intention of "getting a foot in the door for 2008." Realistically, I need to spend at least six months studying the fundamentals: statistics, calculus, micro/macro economics and finance. Courses which are now availible worldwide from the flexible UC Online Extension Center.

Therefore, WCS, assuming that I get dinged at every school I apply at this year, I will retake the GMAT next summer with (hopefully) stronger math skills, targeting the 680+ range. From personal and empirical observations, moving from a consistent 550 to 600 is a step up, from 600 to 650 is a jump, but, IMHO, from 640 to 680+ takes "a solid understanding" of either Q or V. I am going to target Q because, no matter which school we ultimately choose, Babson or Boston, that first year core will be essentially math intensive.

That being said, see you back in the forum after the new year.

Matt, You are correct that 680+ requires a solid understanding of either Q or V.. not both!! If you can master some basics of Q, you can score 680+. Have you tried the Challenge 25? It is a great tool to improve your Q skills. If you understand all the questions from these challenges, you will get 47+ in Q easily.
Somehow, if you end up applying for 2008 (I may end up like that) and If you need any help with Q, just let me know.

Cheers!
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2006, 10:31
Congrats...chief... I knew you would pull it off!!!

Folks some bad news on my side...after my recent merger..my dang new managment has discontinued funding my Exec-Mba ......grrrr!!

gonna hit the app rounds again....
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2006, 10:41
Hey buddy!!

Congrats!! What a fight back man!
I got 300 in Jan this year and then got a 470 in Sep this year..... :cry:

I am working for a 600+ too this time man....

Please tel me what else can i do apart from ur brief?

Thanks

-K
  [#permalink] 25 Nov 2006, 10:41