Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 10:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Update your manager?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Update your manager? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2008, 09:33
Do I tell my manager now or wait for a month or so? Thats the $x question as I have my bonus discussion coming up in a couple of weeks. My manager does know that the Michigan decision comes out sometime next week - so I need to make some story about getting WL and let him know after the admit. Do you think it really matters at all?

Did you guys inform your managers already? If not, how are you handling the constant- 'any updates yet?' question from your managers/recommenders?
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Update your manager? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2008, 09:38
I called my recommenders (that includes my boss) about half hour after my admit. So, yes, all of them know. Eeven I am wondering now how to pitch in myself for the April promotion cycle... :roll:

Well, as to whether it matters or not...that is a very personal question depending on the level of comfort you are with your supervisor. In my case, my boss knew from last year january that I was applying so there was no point not telling him ASAP but in your case, well, if it is getting you bucks (and you will be needing them in B School), I guess it sohuld be ok.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 665 [0], given: 781

Re: Update your manager? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2008, 09:45
Sorry for the detour.. this may help..

Quitting your job - http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/103-t57891
Quit job after applying -- 103-t54221
I quit - 103-t44893

Search term : "quit"
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Update your manager? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2008, 09:52
Thanks Saurabh- thats sort of my thought process. Since it is only a couple of weeks more, I am leaning towards putting it on hold. Frankly, dont think the bonus is going to be significant enough anyways as my company is probably the biggest hit in the whole financial crisis anyways (and you know which one that is:))

Thanks Praet- that was definitely helpful. I do plan to give my manager enough heads up and while I am excited to tell him about my admit, feel it might just impact some $'s. My question is probably more 'bonus' centric. Was curious to hear peoples thoughts on the impact of informing your manager before your bonus.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Update your manager? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2008, 09:56
If you manager considers you good enough, then he would have assumed that you'll get an admit in at least one school. So, I don't think he is making his bonus plans or his future plans around you anyway. Moreover, he has done his best to get you admitted (Through solid recos). In that case, lying to him about your admit is just plain wrong. Sorry, just my opinion.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Update your manager? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2008, 10:03
Thanks for the great reply mneo. I agree with your reply but am sort of caught in a tough spot to some extent. Thats exactly why I wanted to get people's opinions. Well, I know it does not matter, but my manager did not write reco's for me. I also agree with the part that he would have already factored in me leaving soon anyways.

mNeo wrote:
If you manager considers you good enough, then he would have assumed that you'll get an admit in at least one school. So, I don't think he is making his bonus plans or his future plans around you anyway. Moreover, he has done his best to get you admitted (Through solid recos). In that case, lying to him about your admit is just plain wrong. Sorry, just my opinion.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Update your manager? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2008, 10:05
I called my manager 10 mins after my admit call. He not only wrote great reccos, but took personal interest in my success. I felt I owed him an immediate update. That and a bottle of 50-yr old scotch :)
VP
VP
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Update your manager? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2008, 16:38
dosa,

I think that the bonus pool at our company has already been determined. That being said, your manager might shift the $$ amounts between his/her direct reports. Theoretically, your bonus is based on your last year performance but we all know that that's only theoretical, and some managers would rather give more money to someone who will be there to stay than someone who is going to take the money and leave.
However, since your manager knew about your intention to go to b-school in 2008, he/she already probably factored that fact into your bonus anyway, and is expecting you to get accepted somewhere.
Hence, if I were you, I would be honest about your Michigan admit.
Just my 2 cents
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Update your manager? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2008, 22:12
well, I was going to tell my boss about my admit next week (to UCLA). And discuss when I will probably quit (hopefully by end of March). I want to quit earlier, but I think we need to hire someone that I can train for a month or so before I quit, so as to not burn any bridges.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Update your manager? [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2008, 03:52
I'll tell my boss this week. He is back from paternity leave. But i will stay in the company until the end of June. That way i will be eligible for the half yearly bonus.. Much needed finance :), besides, rent in Tokyo is too expensive to be unemployed, my apartment (72 m² = 775.001 ft², so not particularly big) costs $3240 pcm at current exchange rates!!!
Re: Update your manager?   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2008, 03:52