Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 05:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

URGENT HELP Required GMAT 630 :(

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

URGENT HELP Required GMAT 630 :( [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 11:29
Hi
I took my GMAT on 6th sept and scored an unexpected 630 (was expecting more)!!
Q 50, V 25

Profile:
-3 yrs experience till date. (will be 4yrs when joining MBA in 2013)
-Worked with firms like Accenture (2yrs), Deloitte (6months), Infosys (since 6months till present)
-Passed B.Tech. from average college in India with GPA 8.2/10
-Primary target: US Schools, Full time MBA (starting 2013)
-Want to move into finance sector (MBA in finance) and will be applying for CFA Level 1 once done with MBA processes.

Kindly answer my below queries:
1. Should I retake GMAT?
2. Are there any schools I can still apply to and hope for acceptance (along with RA/TA/Fellowship)?
3. My first thought after getting the score - retake somewhere Oct end and apply for R2....Makes sense? (is it still possible of getting RA/TA/Fellowship)?
4. I am not afraid of second attempt but if I have chances of getting into a decent school along with financial support (again RA/TA/Fellowship), I don't mind. Comments?

Welcome all thoughts/comments/advise!!
Peace
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1170

Kudos [?]: 3043 [0], given: 176

Re: URGENT HELP Required GMAT 630 :( [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 12:51
Expert's post
Dear Aditya,

From my experience, R2 is not very different from R1 in terms of your chances of admissions. 9 year back I had applied in R2 and had received full fellowship from 2 schools. Moreover, many of our customers who applied in R2 and even R3 have received fellowships. However, all of them had scores above 700. Hence, I would recommend that you take the GMAT.

Now with a 630 you may get admission in some schools but your chances of a scholarship are very slim.

Check out our course if you do decide to take the exam again. We focus just on Verbal and have a very generous free trial.

Regards,

Rajat Sadana

Free Webinar: July 12, 2014 - Key to score 760 on the GMAT: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your GMAT strategy and create your own study plan to ace the GMAT. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern

Re: URGENT HELP Required GMAT 630 :( [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 07:12
Hey Rajat
Thanks alot for the quick response....this totally makes sense.
I went through the link...i think i ll go with it.
Also had a talk with couple of friends .....going for second attempt

But again, i always like it safe.....
So can you please list a few schools in which i can apply with 630 (R1) and hope for fellowship?
By the time the decision will be released....i would have taken second attempt and then i could evaluate the situation (apply with new score if i get reject from the school(s) you suggest).
Intern
Intern

Re: URGENT HELP Required GMAT 630 :( [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2012, 10:32
Experts kindly provide me with the list of schools where I can expect fellowships with 630.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3043 [0], given: 176

Re: URGENT HELP Required GMAT 630 :( [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2012, 12:11
Expert's post
Dear Aditya,

There aren't very many schools that would give you a fellowship at 630. Here is the rule of thumb that I have. Take a school's mean and 80% GMAT score range. If you are in the top 20% and you have good credentials then you have a chance to secure a fellowship. Given that the median score for top 50 schools is in the 630 range, a scholarship from these schools is difficult. If you need a scholarship, I would recommend that you have a singular focus to improve your GMAT score.

-Rajat

Free Webinar: July 12, 2014 - Key to score 760 on the GMAT: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your GMAT strategy and create your own study plan to ace the GMAT. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern

Re: URGENT HELP Required GMAT 630 :( [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 04:51
Yesterday i received my toefl score 111.
Mind Set: It would be ok for me if i get accepted in average school with scholarship/fellowship. obviously would be better if the same happens in good school (for that i am retakin GMAT).
Ques1: How good the score is?
Ques2: I was thinkin of applying to some average schools and hope to get fellowship with these score! once i take my next attempt i want to apply to good schools (with the hope of better score) in R2. Reason for applying now to a couple of schools is that i feel the probability of getting financial support is more in R1. So i wud be on safe side. or i shd just apply at once after second attempt? Need expert advice on this!!
Intern
Intern

Re: URGENT HELP Required GMAT 630 :( [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 00:59
Also,
My gmat score 50Q 25V
so does the toefl score compensate gmat veb?
Need expert advice!!
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3043 [2] , given: 176

Re: URGENT HELP Required GMAT 630 :( [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 08:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Dear Aditya,

The answer is no. In my opinion you will not be able to get a scholarship from an average school. Here is what your mindset needs to be:

1. You will do your MBA just once. A good GMAT score will help you get to a good school.
2. A 700+ GMAT score increases your chances of a partial scholarship, saving you up to $50,000.
3. A 750+ GMAT score will definitely go a long way in ensuring you get into a top B-school and get some fellowship. This, in my opinion, is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars over your lifetime.
4. You will be proud to put a 700+ GMAT score on your resume as a differentiate. This is because the person recruiting you would have taken the GMAT and hence will be able to value your achievement.
5. You need a 700+ score if you want to work for the big 4 consulting companies.

I hope the above helps change your approach.

Regards,

Rajat Sadana

Re: URGENT HELP Required GMAT 630 :(   [#permalink] 25 Sep 2012, 08:37