Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 05:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Urgent: Confused about short term goal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Urgent: Confused about short term goal [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 22:55
Hi all,

I am struggling with the short term goal question. Everyday I wake up and think and fail to get an answer. Why I fail to get an answer is because of the following,

I will be applying to B-Schools in England where the market is experience driven, I have 5 years of experience currently.
I am a Business Analyst with the world's no.1 data provider company, Thomson Reuters.

I know my road map to the future, I was and am in the Markets/Finance vertical of Thomson Reuters. I am currently in the IT department and want to move into finance. I know my long term goal, project management, but fail to identify what I want to do post my MBA.

After deep thinking and some help by Google, I have a few options in my list, one is becoming a research analyst after doing an MBA in Finance. But with 5 years of experience, would I be able to get into a management role post my MBA? Is that expecting too much or being a research analyst is safe and later work towards PM.

Or, MBA in strategy, but I am not sure what comes up post an MBA. A management trainee job or ??

Please help me here as its really bothering me.

Warm regards,
Hari
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 30

Re: Urgent: Confused about short term goal [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 05:29
Hari, I think that the best thing to do is be honest about your short-term goal. Why not simply tell them what you really want to do, which is move into finance. It sounds like your short-term goal is simply to make a pivot into the finance side.

An MBA in strategy would lead most people to believe that you are looking to move into management consulting.

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Urgent: Confused about short term goal [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 22:56
hariadya wrote:
Hi all,

I am struggling with the short term goal question. Everyday I wake up and think and fail to get an answer. Why I fail to get an answer is because of the following,

I will be applying to B-Schools in England where the market is experience driven, I have 5 years of experience currently.
I am a Business Analyst with the world's no.1 data provider company, Thomson Reuters.

I know my road map to the future, I was and am in the Markets/Finance vertical of Thomson Reuters. I am currently in the IT department and want to move into finance. I know my long term goal, project management, but fail to identify what I want to do post my MBA.

After deep thinking and some help by Google, I have a few options in my list, one is becoming a research analyst after doing an MBA in Finance. But with 5 years of experience, would I be able to get into a management role post my MBA? Is that expecting too much or being a research analyst is safe and later work towards PM.

Or, MBA in strategy, but I am not sure what comes up post an MBA. A management trainee job or ??

Please help me here as its really bothering me.

Warm regards,
Hari

Hi,

First, Be honest about your short term goal.

Now, highlight the strengths of the MBA program that will help you achieve this goals. The schools won't mind if you are planning to shift industry, but they are more keen to know whether they are in a position to help you achieve your goals.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Free Essay Editing Service
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Re: Urgent: Confused about short term goal   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2012, 22:56