Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 13:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Urgent help needed (i have my exam in two weeks)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Joined: 24 Oct 2009
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Urgent help needed (i have my exam in two weeks) [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2009, 23:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

50% (01:11) correct 50% (02:20) wrong based on 2 sessions
Hi all,

I am posting a few critical reasoning's questions with the answers that I have selected, please have a look and let me know if I am correct. Also if you feel i hv gone wrong somewhere por favor, El Señor do let me know the reason............ppppppplllllllllllzzzzzzz

The questions and the answer choice that i have chosen:

5. Which of the following best completes the passage below? Established companies concentrate on defending what they already have.Consequently, they tend not to be innovative themselves and tend to underestimate the effects of the innovations of others.The clearest example of this defensive strategy is the fact that .
(A) ballpoint pens and soft-tip markers have eliminated the traditional market for fountain pens,clearing the way for the marketing of fountain pens as luxury or prestige items
(B) a highly successful automobile was introduced by the same company that had earlier introduced a model that had been a dismal failure
(C) a once-successful manufacturer of slide rules reacted to the introduction of electronic calculators by trying to make better slide rules
(D) one of the first models of modern accounting machines,designed for use in the banking industry, was purchased by a public library as well as by banks
(E) the Inventor 0f a commonly used anesthetic did not intend the product to be used by dentists,who currently account for almost the entire market for that drug

Answer that I choose: A

16. In an attempt to promote the widespread use of paper rather than plastic,and thus reduce non-biodegradable waste,the council of a small town plans to ban the sale of disposable plastic goods for which substitutes made of paper exist.The council argues that since most paper is entirely biodegradable,paper goods are environmentally preferable.
Which of the following,if true,indicates that the plan to ban the sale of disposable plastic goods is suited to the town council's environmental goals?
(A) Although biodegradable plastic goods are now available,members of the town council believe biodegradable paper goods to be safer for the environment.
(B) The paper factory at which most of the townspeople are employed plans to increase production of biodegradable paper goods.
(C) After other towns enacted similar bans on the sale of plastic goods,the environmental benefits were not discernible for several years.
(D) Since most townspeople prefer plastic goods to paper goods in many instances,they are likely to purchase them in neighboring towns where plastic goods are available for sale.
(E) Products other than those derived from wood pulp are often used in the manufacture of paper goods that are entirely biodegradable.

Answer that I choose: A

26. Automobile Dealer's Advertisement:
The Highway Traffic Safety Institute reports that the PZ 1000 has the fewest injuries per accident of any car in its class.This shows that the PZ 1000 is one of the safest cars available today.
Which of the following,if true,most seriously weakens the argument in the advertisement?
(A) The Highway Traffic Safety Institute report listed many cars in other classes that had more injuries per accident than did the PZ 1000.
(B) In recent years many more PZ 1000's have been sold than have any other kind of car in its class.
(C) Cars in the class to which the PZ 1000 belongs are more likely to be involved in accidents than are other types of cars.
(D) The difference between the number of injuries per accident for the PZ 1000 and that for other cars in its class is quite pronounced.
(E) The Highway Traffic Safety Institute issues reports only once a yean

Answer that I choose: D

50. Crops can be traded on the futures market before they are harvested.If a poor corn harvest is predicted,prices of corn futures rise;if a bountiful corn harvest is predicted,prices of corn futures fall.This morning meteorologists are predicting much-needed rain for the corn-growing region starting tomorrow.Therefore,since adequate moisture is essential for the current crop's survival,prices of corn futures will fall sharply today.
Which of the following,if true,most weakens the argument above?
(A) Corn that does not receive adequate moisture during its critical pollination stage will not produce a bountiful harvest.
(B) Futures prices for corn have been fluctuating more dramatically this season than last season.
(C) The rain that meteorologists predicted for tomorrow is expected to extend well beyond the corn-growing region.
(D) Agriculture experts announced today that a disease that has devastated some of the corn crop will spread widely before the end of the growing season.
(E) Most people who trade in Com futures rarely take physical possession of the corn they trade.

Answer that I choose: A


71. Because postage rates are rising,Home Decorator magazine plans to maximize its profits by reducing by one-half the number of issues it publishes each year.The quality of articles,the number of articles published per year, and the subscription price will not change.Market research shows that neither subscribers nor advertisers will be lost if the magazine's plan is instituted.
Which of the following,if true,provides the strongest evidence that the magazine's profits are likely to decline if the plan is instituted?
(A) With the new postage rates,a typical issue under the proposed plan would cost about one-third more to mail than a typical current issue would.
(B) The majority of the magazine's subscribers are less concerned about a possible reduction in the quantity of the magazine's articles than about a possible IOSS of the current high quality of its articles.
(C) Many of the magazine's long-time subscribers would continue their subscriptions even if the subscription price were increased.
(D) Most of the advertisers that purchase advertising space In the magazine will continue to spend the same amount on advertising per issue as they have in the past.
(E) Production costs for the magazine are expected to remain stable.

Answer that I choose: A

75. Generally scientists enter their field with the goal of doing important new research and accept as their colleagues those with similar motivation.Therefore, when any scientist wins renown as an expounder of science to general audiences,most other scientists conclude that this popularizer should no longer be regarded as a true colleague.
The explanation offered above for the low esteem in which scientific popularizers are held by research scientists assumes that
(A) serious scientific research is not a solitary activity, but relies on active cooperation among a group of colleagues
(B) research scientists tend not to regard as colleagues those scientists whose renown they envy
(C) a scientist can become a famous popularizer without having completed any important research
(D) research scientists believe that those who are well known as popularizers of.science are not motivated to do important new research
(E) no important new research can be accessible to or accurately assessed by those who are not themselves scientists

Answer that I choose: A

77. Parasitic wasps lay their eggs directly into the eggs of various host insects in exactly the right numbers for any suitable size of host egg.If they laid too many eggs in a host egg,the developing wasp larvae would compete with each other to the death for nutrients and space.If too few eggs were laid,portions of the host egg would decay, killing the wasp larvae.
Which of the following conclusions can properly be drawn from the information above?
(A) The size of the smallest host egg that a wasp could theoretically parasitize can be determined from the wasp's egg-laying behavior.
(B) Host insects lack any effective defenses against the form of predation practiced by parasitic wasps.
(C) Parasitic wasps learn from experience how many eggs to lay into the eggs of different host species.
(D) Failure to lay enough eggs would lead to the death of the developing wasp larvae more quickly than would laying too many eggs.
(E) Parasitic wasps use visual clues to calculate the size of a host egg.

Answer that I choose: C

any help is very much appreciated :)
Manager
Manager
Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 228
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Urgent help needed (i have my exam in two weeks) [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2009, 02:45
vaishsree wrote:

5. Which of the following best completes the passage below? Established companies concentrate on defending what they already have.Consequently, they tend not to be innovative themselves and tend to underestimate the effects of the innovations of others.The clearest example of this defensive strategy is the fact that .
(A) ballpoint pens and soft-tip markers have eliminated the traditional market for fountain pens,clearing the way for the marketing of fountain pens as luxury or prestige items
(B) a highly successful automobile was introduced by the same company that had earlier introduced a model that had been a dismal failure
(C) a once-successful manufacturer of slide rules reacted to the introduction of electronic calculators by trying to make better slide rules
(D) one of the first models of modern accounting machines,designed for use in the banking industry, was purchased by a public library as well as by banks
(E) the Inventor 0f a commonly used anesthetic did not intend the product to be used by dentists,who currently account for almost the entire market for that drug

Answer that I choose: A
any help is very much appreciated :)


The answer should be a instance where the established company is not innovative and underestimate the innovation of other companies.

(A) ballpoint pens and soft-tip markers have eliminated the traditional market for fountain pens clearing the way for the marketing of fountain pens as luxury or prestige items
- No mention of other companies. Hence wrong

(B) a highly successful automobile was introduced by the same company that had earlier introduced a model that had been a dismal failure
- No mention of other companies. Hence wrong

(C) a once-successful manufacturer of slide rules reacted to the introduction of electronic calculators by trying to make better slide rules
- Once a established company is responding by making better slide ruler in response to introduction of calculators(An innovation) by its competitors. Hence correct.

(D) one of the first models of modern accounting machines designed for use in the banking industry, was purchased by a public library as well as by banks
- talks of a model designed for banking industry brought by a library. Hence wrong.

(E) the Inventor of a commonly used anesthetic did not intend the product to be used by dentists who currently account for almost the entire market for that drug
-Talks of a product that was produced for different market but is used by a different market. Hence wrong.

Correct answer is C
Manager
Manager
Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 228
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Urgent help needed (i have my exam in two weeks) [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2009, 03:05
vaishsree wrote:
26. Automobile Dealer's Advertisement:
The Highway Traffic Safety Institute reports that the PZ 1000 has the fewest injuries per accident of any car in its class.This shows that the PZ 1000 is one of the safest cars available today.
Which of the following,if true,most seriously weakens the argument in the advertisement?
(A) The Highway Traffic Safety Institute report listed many cars in other classes that had more injuries per accident than did the PZ 1000.
(B) In recent years many more PZ 1000's have been sold than have any other kind of car in its class.
(C) Cars in the class to which the PZ 1000 belongs are more likely to be involved in accidents than are other types of cars.
(D) The difference between the number of injuries per accident for the PZ 1000 and that for other cars in its class is quite pronounced.
(E) The Highway Traffic Safety Institute issues reports only once a yean

Answer that I choose: D

the advertisement compares the PZ1000 to all cars available today. While Highway Traffic safety Institute reports compares PZ 1000 to all car in its class. There is a clear scope shift.

The choice C by comparing Cars in the class to which the PZ 1000 belongs are to other cars weakens the argument.

Hence the correct Answer
Manager
Manager
Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 228
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Urgent help needed (i have my exam in two weeks) [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2009, 03:24
vaishsree wrote:
50. Crops can be traded on the futures market before they are harvested.If a poor corn harvest is predicted,prices of corn futures rise;if a bountiful corn harvest is predicted,prices of corn futures fall.This morning meteorologists are predicting much-needed rain for the corn-growing region starting tomorrow.Therefore,since adequate moisture is essential for the current crop's survival,prices of corn futures will fall sharply today.
Which of the following,if true,most weakens the argument above?
(A) Corn that does not receive adequate moisture during its critical pollination stage will not produce a bountiful harvest.
(B) Futures prices for corn have been fluctuating more dramatically this season than last season.
(C) The rain that meteorologists predicted for tomorrow is expected to extend well beyond the corn-growing region.
(D) Agriculture experts announced today that a disease that has devastated some of the corn crop will spread widely before the end of the growing season.
(E) Most people who trade in Com futures rarely take physical possession of the corn they trade.

Answer that I choose: A


The conclusion of the argument is “prices of corn futures will fall”. The argument assumes that fall in price would occur only because of the rain

Choice D by bring another parameter “disease” into the play has weakened the argument
Intern
Intern
Joined: 24 Oct 2009
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Urgent help needed (i have my exam in two weeks) [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2009, 04:22
Thanks a lot i am able to get an idea as to where i am going wrong................i tried out 80 questions from OG 11 and got these and just couple of others (which i could accept as my mistake) wrong. Based on my current status should i go through some other mat as practice for CR or shall i go on to solve OG12, advice needed :?:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 156
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 4

Re: Urgent help needed (i have my exam in two weeks) [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2009, 04:56
vaishsree wrote:
77. Parasitic wasps lay their eggs directly into the eggs of various host insects in exactly the right numbers for any suitable size of host egg.If they laid too many eggs in a host egg,the developing wasp larvae would compete with each other to the death for nutrients and space.If too few eggs were laid,portions of the host egg would decay, killing the wasp larvae.
Which of the following conclusions can properly be drawn from the information above?
(A) The size of the smallest host egg that a wasp could theoretically parasitize can be determined from the wasp's egg-laying behavior.
(B) Host insects lack any effective defenses against the form of predation practiced by parasitic wasps.
(C) Parasitic wasps learn from experience how many eggs to lay into the eggs of different host species.
(D) Failure to lay enough eggs would lead to the death of the developing wasp larvae more quickly than would laying too many eggs.
(E) Parasitic wasps use visual clues to calculate the size of a host egg.

Answer that I choose: C




C can not be properly inferred from the argument. No any info about how wasps obtain such skills. It could be by experience or innate skill.

A looks the best and only answer you can choose safely.

OG11 has a really limited set of CR questions. I suggest you to diversify the sources to get familiar with tough questions as well.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 228
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Urgent help needed (i have my exam in two weeks) [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2009, 05:20
vaishsree wrote:
Generally scientists enter their field with the goal of doing important new research and accept as their colleagues those with similar motivation.Therefore, when any scientist wins renown as an expounder of science to general audiences,most other scientists conclude that this popularizer should no longer be regarded as a true colleague.
The explanation offered above for the low esteem in which scientific popularizers are held by research scientists assumes that
(A) serious scientific research is not a solitary activity, but relies on active cooperation among a group of colleagues
(B) research scientists tend not to regard as colleagues those scientists whose renown they envy
(C) a scientist can become a famous popularizer without having completed any important research
(D) research scientists believe that those who are well known as popularizers of.science are not motivated to do important new research
(E) no important new research can be accessible to or accurately assessed by those who are not themselves scientists


The conclusion is if scientist wins as an expounder of science to general audience he cannot be regarded as a true colleague. The argument talks of acceptance as colleagues based on similar motivation. It means that any scientist who is popular lacks motivations, and hence cannot be accepted as a colleagues.

Hence the answer is D
Manager
Manager
Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 228
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Urgent help needed (i have my exam in two weeks) [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2009, 05:33
vaishsree wrote:
Because postage rates are rising,Home Decorator magazine plans to maximize its profits by reducing by one-half the number of issues it publishes each year.The quality of articles,the number of articles published per year, and the subscription price will not change.Market research shows that neither subscribers nor advertisers will be lost if the magazine's plan is instituted.
Which of the following,if true,provides the strongest evidence that the magazine's profits are likely to decline if the plan is instituted?
(A) With the new postage rates,a typical issue under the proposed plan would cost about one-third more to mail than a typical current issue would.
(B) The majority of the magazine's subscribers are less concerned about a possible reduction in the quantity of the magazine's articles than about a possible IOSS of the current high quality of its articles.
(C) Many of the magazine's long-time subscribers would continue their subscriptions even if the subscription price were increased.
(D) Most of the advertisers that purchase advertising space In the magazine will continue to spend the same amount on advertising per issue as they have in the past.
(E) Production costs for the magazine are expected to remain stable.


The argument assumes that advertisers would double their spending on each double issue . Choice D by saying that advertisers would not increase their spending weakens the argument.
Hence the answer is D
Manager
Manager
Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 148
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Urgent help needed (i have my exam in two weeks) [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2009, 00:39
5.C
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2009
Posts: 47
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: Urgent help needed (i have my exam in two weeks) [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2009, 03:48
5C
16A
26B
50D
71D
75D
77A

Could someone post the OA please?
Manager
Manager
Joined: 24 Sep 2009
Posts: 111
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Urgent help needed (i have my exam in two weeks) [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2009, 23:17
jade3 wrote:
vaishsree wrote:
Because postage rates are rising,Home Decorator magazine plans to maximize its profits by reducing by one-half the number of issues it publishes each year.The quality of articles,the number of articles published per year, and the subscription price will not change.Market research shows that neither subscribers nor advertisers will be lost if the magazine's plan is instituted.
Which of the following,if true,provides the strongest evidence that the magazine's profits are likely to decline if the plan is instituted?
(A) With the new postage rates,a typical issue under the proposed plan would cost about one-third more to mail than a typical current issue would.
(B) The majority of the magazine's subscribers are less concerned about a possible reduction in the quantity of the magazine's articles than about a possible IOSS of the current high quality of its articles.
(C) Many of the magazine's long-time subscribers would continue their subscriptions even if the subscription price were increased.
(D) Most of the advertisers that purchase advertising space In the magazine will continue to spend the same amount on advertising per issue as they have in the past.
(E) Production costs for the magazine are expected to remain stable.


The argument assumes that advertisers would double their spending on each double issue . Choice D by saying that advertisers would not increase their spending weakens the argument.
Hence the answer is D

I disagree with you in this question, (but I agree with you in all questions above).
My choice is A.
_________________

http://www.online-stopwatch.com/
http://gmatsentencecorrection.blogspot.com/

Manager
Manager
Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 228
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Urgent help needed (i have my exam in two weeks) [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 00:37
fall2009 wrote:
jade3 wrote:
vaishsree wrote:
Because postage rates are rising,Home Decorator magazine plans to maximize its profits by reducing by one-half the number of issues it publishes each year.The quality of articles,the number of articles published per year, and the subscription price will not change.Market research shows that neither subscribers nor advertisers will be lost if the magazine's plan is instituted.
Which of the following,if true,provides the strongest evidence that the magazine's profits are likely to decline if the plan is instituted?
(A) With the new postage rates,a typical issue under the proposed plan would cost about one-third more to mail than a typical current issue would.
(B) The majority of the magazine's subscribers are less concerned about a possible reduction in the quantity of the magazine's articles than about a possible IOSS of the current high quality of its articles.
(C) Many of the magazine's long-time subscribers would continue their subscriptions even if the subscription price were increased.
(D) Most of the advertisers that purchase advertising space In the magazine will continue to spend the same amount on advertising per issue as they have in the past.
(E) Production costs for the magazine are expected to remain stable.


The argument assumes that advertisers would double their spending on each double issue . Choice D by saying that advertisers would not increase their spending weakens the argument.
Hence the answer is D

I disagree with you in this question, (but I agree with you in all questions above).
My choice is A.


Let us assume that initially the magazine publisher used to mail 12 issue each for $100 and postal charges are $30.

Revenue per issue taking the post charges into account would be $100-$30 = $70 per issue

Now the magazine publisher is mailing 6 issue for $200 per issue (Please note that, as mentioned in the argument, subscription price will not change)

The new postal charges would be =$30+$10=$40 (According to choice A, mail cost is about one-third more to mail)

The new revenue per issue taking the new post charges into account would be $200-$40 = $160 per issue.

For the new situation , monthly revenue is $160/2=$80

So we find that the revenues have increased by $10 ($80-$70) per month and has not declined. Assuming all other cost remains constant profit would increase for the new situation. Hence in the process weakening the argument
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2010
Posts: 659
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Urgent help needed (i have my exam in two weeks) [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2011, 08:49
the OA are CBADDDA in the order in which questions are presented. question 16 is different in the OG though, it says 'is ill-suited' in the OG in place of is-suited as used here . hence the official answer for ill suited is D and for is-suited i think it should be B
_________________

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager
Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 206
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Urgent help needed (i have my exam in two weeks) [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 09:06
The answer to 16 is D:

A. The plan is to reduce the amount of non-biodegradable waste. Even if the council agrees that paper goods are better, the new plastic goods would still reduce the amount of waste. This answer choice does not weaken the conclusion.

B. The increase in paper goods would push more of these products to the market. Therefore, people can pick up these products when the ban is in place. This answer choice doe not weaken the conclusion.

C. Although this answer choice may appear to weaken the argument, the environmental benefits still occur and that is all that matters. Nowhere in the plan does it say that environmental benefits must occur immediately. Therefore, this answer choice does not weaken the argument.

D. This weakens the conclusion because if townspeople prefer plastic goods and these goods are available in other towns, they will pick up these products and bring it back to their town and create the same amount of waste. Therefore, this plan would not work and the conclusion is weakened.

E. The fact that other products are used to make paper goods and these other products are also biodegradable does not weaken the argument. It just reinforces the plan to reduce waste.
Re: Urgent help needed (i have my exam in two weeks)   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2012, 09:06
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts I need help urgently don2007 3 13 Dec 2007, 04:58
Popular new posts 6 i have my exam vermatanya 11 18 Jan 2008, 13:12
New posts Two more weeks for my exam vigneshpandi 0 08 Nov 2010, 15:16
New posts Experts publish their posts in the topic URGENT!!! EXAM IN A WEEK AND I NEED SOME CONSULTATION!! THNX umi 3 09 Mar 2012, 11:37
New posts Experts publish their posts in the topic I have 30 days until my exam.. Need help with study plan harishkunal 2 26 Nov 2013, 06:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Urgent help needed (i have my exam in two weeks)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.