Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 20:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

URGENT.... Help with Choosing books from mba.com

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

URGENT.... Help with Choosing books from mba.com [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 08:29
Hi,

Gave my GMAT on 21st. Scored 490 (Q: 35, V: 23) (very petite compared to all the GMAT crackers here !!!

I could not get the Official Guide, 11th edition.

It was out of stock for nearly 2 whole months in Mumbai, India. But, I managed to get the OG, 10th edition (Soft copy) a few days b4 the GMAT. Unfortunately, could not complete the whole OG. Maybe, there was a lack of practice and unavailability pointing to my low score.

But, I have not given up hopes. I plan to give the GMAT soon. I got a mail an hour ago from the local Book store that the following books are available...

Official Guide for GMAT Review 11th Edition
GMAT Quantitative Review
GMAT Verbal Review

I have heard that the OG 11th edition and 10th Edition have quite some questions in common...

But, I have not heard any reviews about the other two books... Quant review and Verbal Review.

As mentioned earlier, I already have the OG 10th edition Softcopy, what would be the best BET for me to buy? Also, I already have the "Cracking GMAT, 2006 WITH CD", Princetopn Review.

Id definately like to improve my scores to a mimimum of 650+

I would appreciate some advice on the Books to buy...

Please update me at the earliest so as to make a decision before the books go out of stock :D

Awaiting your replies...

-Plumberg
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 10:07
I bought all 3 OG 11 books a couple weeks ago. If I could do it over again, I would have only purchased the main OG 11 book. I think the 2 separate review guides are unnecessary from a "review" standpoint. However, if you need more problems, they obviously have more available than just the main book so it's really up to you; do you need a "review" or do you need more problems? BTW - I have noticed overlap between the OG 11 and 10th editions. The added benefit to the 11th edition is that the explanations and format are a lot better (especially in V) than in the 10th edition. I love their explanations for CR and RC the best!

The format goes something like this (for CR):

<b>Situation:</b> Since the wholesale price of raw cotton has fallen significantly, the retail price of cotton clothing in stores will inevitably fall.

<b>Reasoning:</b> What point weakens this argument? Consider carefully the difference between the two products for which costs are being compared: cotton and cloth. This argument assumes that lower wholesale prices for a raw product must necessarily result in lower retail prices for a processed product...

<b>A - Correct.</b> This statement properly identifies a weakness in the argument.
B - The statement is out of scope.
C - The author's conclusion is not based on this assumption.
D - This actually strengthens the author's argument.
E - The argument has already taken this statement into account and it is not weakened by this statement.

As you can tell, the format is 10x better than the format in the 10th edition. I now understand the reasoning behind CR and RC questions a lot better.

Ultimately I didn't mind the purchase though because I bought all 3 books on the Manhattan GMAT site for ~$50. Not sure how much that total will change with shipping to India though.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/store2.cfm

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 12:16
For what it's worth - Princeton seems to suggest somewhere on the site that the Verbal and Quantitative new edition books will have material that was already covered in the OG 10th ed. Also OG 11th edition (the latest) contains less material (but better explanation) than OG 10th edition - however there is new material there.

I myself don't know for sure if all of the Verbal and Quant books have all the items from OG10th for sure.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2005, 04:45
hey Plumberg ..are u from MUMBAI...

Wanna meet up dude ??
I am from mumbai too...
can share ,material and stuff on gmat ...

"Nothing is Impossible"

[#permalink] 31 Oct 2005, 04:45