Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Urgent: LSE Management & Strategy - Worth it?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.51
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 3

Urgent: LSE Management & Strategy - Worth it? [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 20:54
Hi guys!

I wanted your take on the Management & Strategy program at LSE. I did my undergraduate degree from a top 10-12 business school in the US a couple of years ago, and am looking to get an advanced degree primarily because I want to break into the field of strategy consulting. I was looking through the program structure and noted that there are only 6 courses (and dissertation) required for the degree. I am a little concerned that I might not derive sufficient value from the program considering the limited number of courses. I was looking through the management program at City University, Cass Business School and noted that they require completion of about 13-14 courses along with a research project. Although their course sounds really good, I'm not entirely sold on the brand value of the program

So basically, do you guys think the Msc. Management & Strategy program at LSE is worth 40,000 pounds (Tuition + Living in London)

+1 Kudos is a great way of saying Thank you!! :D

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 18

Re: Urgent: LSE Management & Strategy - Worth it? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 02:29
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I've just got that MSC at the lse.
Now i'm working in a top tier consultancy company in italy. I took my msc straight after undergrad with little work experience.
What is remarkable about that is provides u with a very analytical approach. U really start to think strategically. the program is not very quantitative but it is challenging, it really teaches u to think on your own. So no comparison with LBS or other MiM where they teach U absolutely nothing, they just help u finding a job.
The downside is that the career service, networking events and other job related stuff are much poorer at lse compared to i.e. LBS. yOU HAVE TO FIND ur own way, and be very entrepreneurial, starting to think seriously about applications at the very beginning.
There are opportunities in the lse campus, like societies-connected networking events etc.. but people often realize it too late (applications if u want to work in london in consulting/ib close before Christmas). Rememeber also that the reputation of lse in the uk and even more all over the world is simply GREAT. CITY university is NOTHING compared to lse.

So it's a tradeoff: u learn a lot, u're in a fantastic place (lse), u have huge opportunities to join societies and meet extraordinary people
on the other hand u should be very entrepreneurial because a lot happens at the very beginning and if u're not active none will micro-manage ur time (like at LBS)

tradeoffs...

for any questions just write me

a.racca@lse.ac.uk
Re: Urgent: LSE Management & Strategy - Worth it?   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2012, 02:29