Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 19:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Urgent need for advice on improving GMAT quant score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: AGSM '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Urgent need for advice on improving GMAT quant score [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 11:24
Hi everyone!

So, recently I gave the manhattan gmat practice test and I was shocked with my results. I found the quant section incredibly hard and lengthy. I ran out of time and had to leave the last few questions, more specifically from q-no 24 ( I know that this adversely affected my score a great deal). My final quant score was 32. Which is horrific, I know. :cry:
So a bit of background information before I rant further. Maths is definitely not one of my stronger subjects. So I put in quite a bit of effort before taking this practice test. I did OG, Princeton Review and Kaplan. Unfortunately,MGMAT books are too expensive for me.
I will be giving my exam 5 weeks from today and I NEED TO GET A SCORE GREATER THAN 750. IT IS ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY. I know it seems like an impossible task, especially in light of my practice test results. The good news is, I'm on holiday right now so I can literally study day and night. And I am willing to.
So can anyone please tell me how I can improve my quant score? PLEASE. My weakest areas are probablilty, permutations and combinations, geometry and mensuration. Please give me names of a few affordable quant books. The thing is, I have already spent a great deal on my prep books and I can't really afford to spend much more.
Please advice ASAP, people. My future literally rests on my GMAT score! :cry:
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Urgent need for advice on improving GMAT quant score [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 13:10
Look through some of the popular forums here, to check out tips that have been aggregated already!

I would also not freak out just yet, especially since it was your first time taking the MGMAT (and they DO tend to be harder than other practice tests--I've always ran out of time)! It takes some practice to get back into the swing of things. It also helps to check out the "timing strategies" threads to see what advice people have about timing. It helps to time each practice question you do, to see how quickly you can do them...but also so you know how long 1 minute feels and such, so you know when to MOVE ON. Sometimes, you have to simply guess and throw out the question if it is taking you too long to finish, so that you can go onto more questions and finish the test.

Review the answer explanations to see if they did problems differently than you would have. Maybe their methods were faster, and more straight forward, so try to write down the problems on notecards with the method on the other side and review the types of problems that you missed.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: AGSM '16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: Urgent need for advice on improving GMAT quant score [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2013, 10:13
Thank you so much for the reply.

So I have checked out the forums and I also re-did my OG.( This time, I sat with a stopwatch and timed myself). Though problem solving tends to be less of a menace now, I am still struggling quite a bit with data sufficiency. Usually, I waste a lot of time on them and still end up with a wrong answer. If possible, could you please post the links of a few discussions pertinent to data sufficiency. Meanwhile, I have also been scourging the net trying to find good material. Thank you, once again!
Re: Urgent need for advice on improving GMAT quant score   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2013, 10:13