Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 00:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Urgent Question! (Low GMAT; 2nd or 3rd Round?)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Urgent Question! (Low GMAT; 2nd or 3rd Round?) [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2005, 06:54
Hi Linda,

I have an urgent question regarding my MBA application. I am applying
for MBA programs (HBS, MIT, Stanford, and Haas) starting in fall 2005. I
was planning to apply for 2nd round (HBS - Jan 5, Stanford - Jan 6,
Sloan - Jan 19, Haas - Jan 21). However, after having completed my
first GMAT exam yesterday with a 630 (Q 47, V 29), I am unsure. Should
I retake the GMAT in Feb., hopefully do better and go for 3rd rounds
or should I submit now? I am not certain that I can improve my verbal score much more because I am not a native English speaker and I have studied quite hard on the verbal already.

I believe, however, that appart from my low verbal GMAT score and my low GPA in
my first semester of College (1st semester GPA 3.0 gradually increasing
to last semester GPA of 3.8), I have good
professional experience (2 years NYC i-banking with Salomon focussing on Latin America & 3 years of entrepreneurship in New Zealand) and unique personal background (professional athlete before College, and various interesting extra-curiculars) as well as strong essays and excellent recommendations.

It would be great, if you could provide me with your opinion on what I should do - submit for 2nd round or 3rd? The sooner you can post something the better because the HBS and Stanford dealines are due on Wednesday and Thursday, respectively.

Happy New Year!

achuard
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 349 [0], given: 66

Re: Urgent Question! (Low GMAT; 2nd or 3rd Round?) [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2005, 16:52
Expert's post
achuard wrote:
Hi Linda,

I have an urgent question regarding my MBA application. I am applying
for MBA programs (HBS, MIT, Stanford, and Haas) starting in fall 2005. I
was planning to apply for 2nd round (HBS - Jan 5, Stanford - Jan 6,
Sloan - Jan 19, Haas - Jan 21). However, after having completed my
first GMAT exam yesterday with a 630 (Q 47, V 29), I am unsure. Should
I retake the GMAT in Feb., hopefully do better and go for 3rd rounds
or should I submit now? I am not certain that I can improve my verbal score much more because I am not a native English speaker and I have studied quite hard on the verbal already.

I believe, however, that appart from my low verbal GMAT score and my low GPA in
my first semester of College (1st semester GPA 3.0 gradually increasing
to last semester GPA of 3.8), I have good
professional experience (2 years NYC i-banking with Salomon focussing on Latin America & 3 years of entrepreneurship in New Zealand) and unique personal background (professional athlete before College, and various interesting extra-curiculars) as well as strong essays and excellent recommendations.

It would be great, if you could provide me with your opinion on what I should do - submit for 2nd round or 3rd? The sooner you can post something the better because the HBS and Stanford dealines are due on Wednesday and Thursday, respectively.

Happy New Year!

achuard

Achuard,

That is a low GMAT for all those schools. Are you Latin American, which might mitigate somewhat? They are going to be very concerned that your English skills are not strong enough.

Here's what I suggest: if your essays are in excellent shape and ready, I suggest you submit them R2, and let them know you are working on your English skills. Enroll in an English course. Maybe you will be wait-listed or receive a conditional acceptance, which schools occasionally give. This is not optimal, and I'm not overly optimistic, but I think it is the best way to go.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2005, 17:08
Thanks Linda for your advice. I might wait for 3rd round, brush up on my English, take the GMAT a second time and hopefully do better.