Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 19:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

URGENT: question on reneging a company offer

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

URGENT: question on reneging a company offer [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 10:17
To any consultant or admission committee,

I accepted an internship offer with a credit card company, and I just received an offer from a big consulting company. I think this is a better opportunity for me because I would like to do this long term and the consulting company looks to hire interns straight out of the program while the credit card company doesn't, and I'm not too interested in working for them full-time anyway. I don't start work for a little less than a month so they should have time to find someone. Also, I have found that the big consulting companies are looked more favorably upon by Harvard, so this should put me in a better position to get into the 2+2 program.

Will admissions staff at Harvard potentially find out about the fact that I reneged, and if so does this significantly hurt my position?

Thanks a lot
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 630 [1] , given: 114

Re: URGENT: question on reneging a company offer [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 10:59
This post received
KUDOS
Harvard will not find out. In fact, it would be against privacy laws to disclose anything about you unless you actually worked there. And in that case, you would have to tell Harvard about working there before they could even contact HR to confirm employment. So there is a 0% chance that Harvard will find out. Plus, you really arn't doing anything wrong, just bad form. I would call the HR department or representative that you've been in contact with and let them know that you recieved another offer with a top consulting company and will be taking it. Apologize and send a thank you letter (hand written) to all people that you interviewed with and the HR persons to leave it on the best terms possible.

If you recieved any signing bonus, compensation, or anything else you will need to return it. You should also be somewhat apologetic, but also just tell them exactly what you wrote. Anyone in business will understand that you got a better offer, and took it. THis stuff happens in business, but it is technically bad form to reneg after you've signed an offer. But if you don't want them, trust me, they don't want you. They are wasting valuable resources and time, so they will appreciate your honesty. Also, if they were interviewing multiple candidates, HR procedures usually have a backup plan for this happening. They don't tell the #2 or #3 candidates yes or no until the day you start. So at this point, the offer will most likely move onto the next in-line candidate, the position will not be filled, or they will pull the position all together.

In life, you will have these decisions to make, and it sounds like you must have an impressive resume to get 2 internship offers. So congratulations to you, and good luck with 2+2 applications. Top consulting offer will definitely be highly favored over the credit card company for those types of programs. Just make sure to be the BEST intern they have, and you might be the perfect candidate.

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Re: URGENT: question on reneging a company offer   [#permalink] 01 May 2012, 10:59