Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Urgent: Strategy solicited; GMAT on 14th March

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 561

GMAT Tests User
Re: Urgent: Strategy solicited; GMAT on 14th March [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 02:12
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
I am a little late to the party but you've still got time so let me re-iterate what many others have told you. If you know that you are going to fall short on time, it's ok to throw away some questions. But ensure you keep the following in mind:

1. Be flexible. Doing first 20 questions no-matter-what could turn out to be a disaster. Do not give more than 2-2.5 mins to any SC/CR question - be it the first question or the 20th (I certainly hope though that you sail through the first few questions - at least it will give you loads of confidence for the rest of the test). I have known people to spend 5 mins on the first question and then spiral downwards. No one knows the actual GMAT algorithm so don't take such risks - one question cannot make or break it.
2. Don't guess blindly. Take 30 secs to read the question. The look/length of a question cannot tell you whether it is easy or hard. If you feel it's too much, guess and move on within 30 secs.
3. Try to evenly space your guesses. Sequential guessing can do more harm. But again, this is not a hard and fast rule. Do not feel obliged to guess just because you have been comfortably sailing through the last 5 questions.
4. Do not bind yourself into knots trying to find the right questions to guess in between questions 20 - 35. If they happen at that time, fine, else guess when you really need to.
5. You know that your CR is weakest - there is actually a silver lining there - usually, CR questions take maximum time. So if you read the question and feel it's too convoluted, quickly guess and move on. But, keep an open mind about guessing on SC/RC questions too. If you get stuck with a particularly tricky SC question, remember, you can guess on SC questions too. You can use that time in some other CR question that might be easier than expected.

Overall, my suggestion would be to be flexible. Don't use more than 2-2.5 mins on any question and guess when you feel the need to (according to the difficulty of the question). Do not go to the test center with pre-conceived notions on how the algorithm works. No one but GMAC knows it.

Thanks a ton Karishma for your time..

What I actually meant is I wuold guess on a question if it's difficult but I will start throwing away only after 20th question.
Also, my acuracy on question pack1 hard quant questions was around 60-70 % . Some of them would take 1.5 min .. Some of them would take 2.5 to 3 , and some 3. 5 in the worst case. This would happen on DS questions which need plugging in and testing.

So at this stage I can't really try to speed up as that would be a disaster; rather I would throwaway if I am back on track.
Hope this is fine.

Also,Some PS questions are easy bt take a crazy amount of time : more than 5 mins. I find it hard to recognize such questions and get carried away.

and I did follow the GAS strategy I mentioned in my post for quant. By trying to look actively for Given, Asked and Scope, I could eliminate all the careless mistakes I was doing that had to do with GAS.

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 561

GMAT Tests User
Re: Urgent: Strategy solicited; GMAT on 14th March [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 02:14
MacFauz wrote:
Anything I add now will just be chaff... But just one word of caution... Us Indians, IMHO, we just are not able to let a question get the better of us.. As a result when we get stuck on a toughie, we end up using much more time on it than it deserves.. IMHO, if you cannot answer it within two minutes, guess and move on.. No point in wasting 5 minutes to get one question right and ending up not completing the section..

Thanks mate.. hard DS questions take 2.75 mins on an average. .. but i get them right .. .so i guess i have to throwaway.. trade-off has to be done I believe.

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 895

Kudos [?]: 3794 [1] , given: 148

Re: Urgent: Strategy solicited; GMAT on 14th March [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 20:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sachin9 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
I am a little late to the party but you've still got time so let me re-iterate what many others have told you. If you know that you are going to fall short on time, it's ok to throw away some questions. But ensure you keep the following in mind:

1. Be flexible. Doing first 20 questions no-matter-what could turn out to be a disaster. Do not give more than 2-2.5 mins to any SC/CR question - be it the first question or the 20th (I certainly hope though that you sail through the first few questions - at least it will give you loads of confidence for the rest of the test). I have known people to spend 5 mins on the first question and then spiral downwards. No one knows the actual GMAT algorithm so don't take such risks - one question cannot make or break it.
2. Don't guess blindly. Take 30 secs to read the question. The look/length of a question cannot tell you whether it is easy or hard. If you feel it's too much, guess and move on within 30 secs.
3. Try to evenly space your guesses. Sequential guessing can do more harm. But again, this is not a hard and fast rule. Do not feel obliged to guess just because you have been comfortably sailing through the last 5 questions.
4. Do not bind yourself into knots trying to find the right questions to guess in between questions 20 - 35. If they happen at that time, fine, else guess when you really need to.
5. You know that your CR is weakest - there is actually a silver lining there - usually, CR questions take maximum time. So if you read the question and feel it's too convoluted, quickly guess and move on. But, keep an open mind about guessing on SC/RC questions too. If you get stuck with a particularly tricky SC question, remember, you can guess on SC questions too. You can use that time in some other CR question that might be easier than expected.

Overall, my suggestion would be to be flexible. Don't use more than 2-2.5 mins on any question and guess when you feel the need to (according to the difficulty of the question). Do not go to the test center with pre-conceived notions on how the algorithm works. No one but GMAC knows it.

Thanks a ton Karishma for your time..

What I actually meant is I wuold guess on a question if it's difficult but I will start throwing away only after 20th question.
Also, my acuracy on question pack1 hard quant questions was around 60-70 % . Some of them would take 1.5 min .. Some of them would take 2.5 to 3 , and some 3. 5 in the worst case. This would happen on DS questions which need plugging in and testing.

So at this stage I can't really try to speed up as that would be a disaster; rather I would throwaway if I am back on track.
Hope this is fine.

Also,Some PS questions are easy bt take a crazy amount of time : more than 5 mins. I find it hard to recognize such questions and get carried away.

and I did follow the GAS strategy I mentioned in my post for quant. By trying to look actively for Given, Asked and Scope, I could eliminate all the careless mistakes I was doing that had to do with GAS.

Usually, there is a way of doing every PS question in less than a minute. If you are unable to get the answer in 2 - 2.5 mins, I am not sure it is worth giving it any more time. Just move on. I can understand that DS questions would take some extra time - there is more info to process and lots of pitfalls to be wary of. If you get the answer in 2.5 mins, it fine. Also, no need to focus too much on the clock the entire time. You will save some time on the initial easier questions so you will have some extra time later. Just keep in mind that if you are putting in too much time in a question, it will take away all the time advantage. Keep your eye not on the one-question battle but on the entire war.

If you are having time troubles in Quant, it may be a little less advisable to write down the entire GAS strategy. Sure, write down what is given - that's value add, read what is asked and consider the scope for plugging in. Before you mark the answer, read again what is asked and see if it matches what you have found. If yes, then go ahead. Writing down what is asked will not add much value. Today is 12th so take a short quick Quant test in this way. Hopefully, it will work for you. Relax tomorrow.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Urgent: Strategy solicited; GMAT on 14th March   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2013, 20:34