Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 20:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Urgent! Stuck around 650, exam next week. How to score 700?!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Urgent! Stuck around 650, exam next week. How to score 700?! [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2011, 22:50
Hi,
I attempted the GMAT Prep paper on Monday (this week itself) and scored 680. I started with Manhattan exams and my score fell to 620 (on Wednesday). I have given 4 tests of Manhattan and my highest score was 660.
I gave another one right now and my score increased marginally to 640 (which is pathetic).

In GMAT Prep, I got 41 Verbal. But in Manhattan, the score doesn't go beyond 34/35. I got 5 days with me and I have no idea how to go about things now.

Should I practice CR and RC OG 12 entirely once more (ques 60 onwards)? or should I focus more on tests?
Another thing is that the number of incorrect questions in verbal section (Manhattan) are pretty much constant across CR and RC in every test (I have given one test everyday for the past one week).

Need some serious help!!!!!

Anyone with any great solution, please let me know. The scores are doing no good to my confidence level, and I have become negative in my approach (since my 'scores' have been utterly disappointing).

Thanks a lot!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
WE: Design (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Urgent! Stuck around 650, exam next week. How to score 700?! [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2011, 23:48
Hey rachitaverma,

I was on the same boat as you a month ago. I found the verbal part of manhattan a little weird and not representative of the actual exam.

I would advice you to go by your GMAT prep score, it will actually represent your score to a great extent(-+20).

And probably 2-3 tests should be fine, spend more time on the analysis and covering the weak areas.

Though i did not touch the magical 700 mark, but these were my learning's.

Hope these help you at-least!

Work with hope in Heart and dreams in the eyes .... And leave the mind for GMAT problems ;)

Intern
Intern

Re: Urgent! Stuck around 650, exam next week. How to score 700?! [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2011, 01:38
i have already given few tests, I don't know how many more tests I should give because my score is worsening over time.
Just when I think it is getting better, the reality is just the opposite of that.

I hope OG 12 helps, though there are only 5 days left - something is better than nothing.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
WE: Design (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Urgent! Stuck around 650, exam next week. How to score 700?! [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2011, 03:25
You should just relax ... You are probably anxious more than anything else . If you have already given full length tests then just give one more 2 days before . Concentrating on your weak sections or topics might serve you better than doing the OG prob again .

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Work with hope in Heart and dreams in the eyes .... And leave the mind for GMAT problems ;)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 74

CAT Tests
Re: Urgent! Stuck around 650, exam next week. How to score 700?! [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2011, 14:22
For Quant, I would seriously advice you to do last 50 Qs from any of the OGs- the Quant review in particular . For Verbal, do the GMATprep SC and CR, links to which can be found as "sticky" posts in the respective forums. Note that just "doing" won't suffice, you have to carefully review the questions you get wrong.

Most important: Make sure you have enough time to relax before the test.

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 53

Re: Urgent! Stuck around 650, exam next week. How to score 700?! [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2011, 19:18
In order of importance -

1) OG - Go through all the questions in the OG. Make surer you can answer each and every question with correct reasoning.
2) GMAT Prep - There is a document floating around here in GMAT Club with all the questions from the GMAT Prep software. Make sure you can solve each and every question AND you know exactly why the answer is right OR wrong.
3) Error log - If you have one, revisit it.
4) Weak area - If you are weak in any areas in quant or have (heaven forbid) skipped any, make sure you know, at the least, how to solve the easiest type of questions in that area.

And Relax. Stressing out has never helped anybody and it sure as hell wont help you.

All the best.
Intern
Intern

Re: Urgent! Stuck around 650, exam next week. How to score 700?! [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 13:08
Hi again!
I did ques of SC and CR from OG yesterday (last 50 each) and didn't do RC again (though it's one of my weak areas). In today's manhattan test (test 4), I got 2 wrong in RC and more than 3 in SC and CR.

I don't have a clue about CR anymore. Seriously. The more I practice CR ques, the more I feel it's a waste of time because every ques of CR is different, and requires different type of logic.
I'm working on SC of course, subject-verb agreement, idioms etc.

Also, today I told myself not to focus on scores - I was up 40 points compared with yesterday's test.

Is GMAT more about your state of mind?! I find my scores fluctuating on daily basis (almost). It feels like any kind of preparation is not of much use if on the day of the test, I am nervous/scared.

Please wish me luck!

I hope everything is fine on the day of the test, it's this week.
Re: Urgent! Stuck around 650, exam next week. How to score 700?!   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2011, 13:08