Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 01:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

URGENT - Verbal Prep course

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: HKUST
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

URGENT - Verbal Prep course [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 23:56
Hi all,

I am really struggling with my verbal score. I have my GMAT retake in about 7 weeks and want to approach the verbal section differently. I score around the 27 - 28

What I did last time around:

Books used: MGMAT SC, CR, RC
Practice: OG 12 SC (exhausted), CR and RC

I find CR and RC the toughest. To make it even harder, I am based in Melbourne Australia where not many in person classes are held. I don't mind going in for an online course or even a private tutor. Could you please guide me.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Aanchal
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2231

Kudos [?]: 8349 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: URGENT - Verbal Prep course [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 00:03
Expert's post
There are not many specifically verbal prep courses. The only one that comes to mind is GMAT Pill

On a side note, all test prep companies have prep online (live) or on-demand courses these days. It is hard to say which one of them has the best Verbal course as different things work for diff people. I know MGMAT has a strong SC product and PowerScore is know for CR. Veritas has some great new questions, Knewton has an adaptive learning product, Revolution Prep has an innovative product, and Kaplan has a very strong methodology/teaching resources.

It is really about picking one and putting all your effort behind them. Since you have used the MGMAT books, you may want to try another course instead. Here are some reviews: gmat-prep-course-class-reviews-ratings-discount-codes-78451.html?fl=menu

I would probably recommend and on-demand course since you want to jump to verbal and not have to wait for the class to get there.

Hope this helps.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 125 [1] , given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: URGENT - Verbal Prep course [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 00:19
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,
I am suggesting a method of study that will help you dramatically improve your proficiency in CR within two weeks. This approach has worked for me and I am sure it will work for you also.
The following is a part of my de-brief in the Share Your GMAT Experience thread. I believe this method will help you. Remember, the principles will work for you if you work the principles.

Quote:
Critical Reasoning:
1. Powerscore GMAT CR Bible -
An excellent book for improving oneself in CR! The best way to study it is (pay attention, this is important, I don't think anyone has mentioned this approach before) as follows:

The first few chapters in the book offers a brief overview of what CR is all about. The remaining chapters focus on specific question types. The book divides CR questions into 10 different types and the introductory chapters will tell you how to distinguish one question type from another. After learning the introductory chapters, do the following:
Keep the Powerscore CR Bible next to you and turn to the CR section of the official guide. Start with the first CR question in the official guide and see if you can classify the question type. If you can't refer back to the introductory chapters. If you are able to classify it, turn to the relevant chapter. Go through the chapter and then return to the question and see if you're able to get to the right answer by applying what you just learned. If you're not able to get the right answer, go through the chapter again and again till you know why the right answer is right and why the wrong answer is wrong. Keep repeating the procedure for every question you do till you reach the point where you can start solving questions without having to refer back to the text. If everything goes as per plan, you should get there by question number 60 to 70 in the OG. From there on, do the remaining questions under timed conditions. I assure you, by the time you finish with the CR questions in the official guide, you will be able to breeze through the 500, 600 and possibly the lower 700 level questions in the actual GMAT :D

Good luck...

Regards,
Entwistle

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Intern
Intern

Re: URGENT - Verbal Prep course [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 03:06
@bb thanks a lot for your response. I am going to take your advice and look into Kaplan and Veritas courses. Which one would u recommend?

@Entwistle I in fact am meant to start working on CR using Powerscores CR. So thanks a lot for the method, will definitely implement it.

So does this sound like a concrete plan? Powerscore CR Bible + On demand course (Kaplan/Veritas) + Practice OG guides

Any suggestions for RC??
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: URGENT - Verbal Prep course [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 11:53
Expert's post
aanchalsinha wrote:
@bb thanks a lot for your response. I am going to take your advice and look into Kaplan and Veritas courses. Which one would u recommend?
Hi aanchalsinha,

If you're trying to decide whether you want to study with us at Kaplan, we offer free sample classes at www.kaptest.com/GMAT

I highly recommend registering for a free event to see if we're a good fit for your learning style!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: URGENT - Verbal Prep course [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 12:43
KapTeacherEli wrote:
aanchalsinha wrote:
Hi aanchalsinha,

If you're trying to decide whether you want to study with us at Kaplan, we offer free sample classes at http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

I highly recommend registering for a free event to see if we're a good fit for your learning style!

Hey KapTeacherEli,

Are the free events available only in the US or can one register for an online event as well?
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: URGENT - Verbal Prep course [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 13:58
Expert's post
aanchalsinha wrote:
KapTeacherEli wrote:
aanchalsinha wrote:
Hi aanchalsinha,

If you're trying to decide whether you want to study with us at Kaplan, we offer free sample classes at http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Hey KapTeacherEli,

Are the free events available only in the US or can one register for an online event as well?
Our live online class sessions are available internationally!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Re: URGENT - Verbal Prep course   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2011, 13:58