Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Urgently need career advice in MBA context

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Urgently need career advice in MBA context [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2006, 09:20
Dear Accepted.com-ers and the Club,

I urgently need an opinion of several people regarding my situation.

My ultimate goal is Venture Capital, my GPA was 3.8, my GMAT is 750, and so my intermediate goal is getting into Harvard or Stanford at all cost.

I’m 23 and only have almost a year of work experience (and I couldn’t find normal work for a year after graduation). For a year I was working as a Logistics Analyst in a young distribution company supplying power cables. The company is doubling its turnover every year while maintaining a relatively small staff, so I had a wide range of duties: I was responsible for logistics/transportation planning, worked with freight brokers and warehouse management to store/deliver material to the jobsites timely, processed all the transactions except for AP in our accounting system, did billing, was involved in customer support, and Supported Sales team by performing some engineering analysis.

This Friday I received an offer to become a quality assurance manager. As a distribution company, we entirely depend on our reputation as suppliers of quality material, and the decision was made to create a small new department with me and one subordinate to design, implement and overview routine testing procedures. I will be responsible for the quality of $80,000,000 worth of material and any mistake or oversight on my part can easily put the company out of business. The position will be an engineering/managerial mix.

I probably will not be able to negotiate a significant increase in compensation, it will be around or slightly higher then average entry-level engineering level (as I am still into my first year with the company). The position requires at least 1-year commitment, as I will have to plan out the routine and make sure it works. That means that if I accept the offer, I will not have a chance to switch careers in the near future and since timing is important to me, will apply in one year with all the experience I will have at that point.

I have a weekend to decide on the offer, so I would appreciate an answer by anybody who sees this post.
The 2 questions I have are:

1) Will the experience I already have and will get in the next year be adequate for HBS/Stanford/other Ultra-Elites, or will it be my weak spot? My concern is that the company is not widely known.
2) Is compensation history being looked at during the admission process?

Thank everybody in advance for an answer.

I will cross-post this question to the other GMAT Clubbers in other subforums.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Urgently need career advice in MBA context [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2006, 09:04
Expert's post
Slonarch wrote:
Dear Accepted.com-ers and the Club,

I urgently need an opinion of several people regarding my situation.

My ultimate goal is Venture Capital, my GPA was 3.8, my GMAT is 750, and so my intermediate goal is getting into Harvard or Stanford at all cost.

I’m 23 and only have almost a year of work experience (and I couldn’t find normal work for a year after graduation). For a year I was working as a Logistics Analyst in a young distribution company supplying power cables. The company is doubling its turnover every year while maintaining a relatively small staff, so I had a wide range of duties: I was responsible for logistics/transportation planning, worked with freight brokers and warehouse management to store/deliver material to the jobsites timely, processed all the transactions except for AP in our accounting system, did billing, was involved in customer support, and Supported Sales team by performing some engineering analysis.

This Friday I received an offer to become a quality assurance manager. As a distribution company, we entirely depend on our reputation as suppliers of quality material, and the decision was made to create a small new department with me and one subordinate to design, implement and overview routine testing procedures. I will be responsible for the quality of $80,000,000 worth of material and any mistake or oversight on my part can easily put the company out of business. The position will be an engineering/managerial mix.

I probably will not be able to negotiate a significant increase in compensation, it will be around or slightly higher then average entry-level engineering level (as I am still into my first year with the company). The position requires at least 1-year commitment, as I will have to plan out the routine and make sure it works. That means that if I accept the offer, I will not have a chance to switch careers in the near future and since timing is important to me, will apply in one year with all the experience I will have at that point.

I have a weekend to decide on the offer, so I would appreciate an answer by anybody who sees this post.
The 2 questions I have are:

1) Will the experience I already have and will get in the next year be adequate for HBS/Stanford/other Ultra-Elites, or will it be my weak spot? My concern is that the company is not widely known.
2) Is compensation history being looked at during the admission process?

Thank everybody in advance for an answer.

I will cross-post this question to the other GMAT Clubbers in other subforums.

Slonarch,

The managerial opportunity you've been offered sounds good, especially for someone your age. It would impress most business schools, including HBS and Stanford. Whether it will be impressive enough for them to admit you is another question. I don't think you should reject the promotion on the theory that something better might come along. It might not, and the leadership you gain in the next year will strengthen your app. So I recommend taking the promotion and perhaps also seek out a leadership (board position or position supervising others) for a community organization. This will strengthen your leadership profile even more and give you another venue in which to try to 'wow' HBS and Stanford.

1) Working for a small or unknown firm is not a negative; it just requires more explaining. That is, you will need to provide some context in your essays so the schools understand your firm/industry well enough to be impressed by your accomplishments.
2) Yes, compensation is being looked at, but leadership is being looked at far more.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2006, 19:12
Paul,

Thank you for such a detailed explanation. Your input was of great help. I have accepted the position and will now look into the community involvement.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2006, 20:39
Slonarch wrote:
Paul,

Thank you for such a detailed explanation. Your input was of great help. I have accepted the position and will now look into the community involvement.

You're welcome and good luck!

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter