Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 14:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Urgently need profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Urgently need profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 08:50
Hi Paul,

Please evaluate my profile. I'm planning to apply for fall 2010.

27/Male/India
GMAT - 640 (31V, 47Q)

Experience:
I will have more than 4 years of experience at the time of matriculation in 2010. Worked for a leading US IT Consultancy and services company to the capacity of a Software Developer/Team Lead. In the course of my work I have taken various responsibilities such as software development, business and requirement analysis, client meetings, project estimation and mentoring. Many of these responsibilities call for a leadership role. I have directly communicated with the clients(leading Banking and Finance organisations) regarding the project deliveries and estimations.

Interests:
I have variety of interests which include collecting old coins of different countries.
Photography is my passion.
I have a talent of mimicry. I can mimic almost anyone. Have been popular in school and now in office for this reason. I have also performed mouth organ and songs in different cultural festivals in school and college.

Short term goal: With my current exposure to Banking & Financial domain, I would want to gain more experience & learning by joining Business School. The next 4-5 years I would like to work as a IT Consultant.

Long Term goal: 10 years down the lane I would like to venture into restaurant chain business. I am a foodie and its been my dream to own a restaurant chain.

Application:
I am good at writing essays. Will get strong letters of recommendations - one of them would be from a Senior Consultant with whom I have worked for 1.5 years.
Have no community engagement.

Short Listed Schools:
Olin, Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin Madison, Smeal, Wake forest

If you think some of these are long shots then please suggest a few schools where I can stand a chance.

Thank you!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Urgently need profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 18:33
Saggy,

Since, given your demographic, standing out from the pack will be a big challenge for you, I recommend that you emphasize your unusual restaurant goals, your "foodie" passion, your mimicry skills. That is, give them charming, high-personality essays so they remember you.

You will be competitive at Wake Forest, Smeal, and Iowa. You have a decent chance at Wisconsin and Indiana, and Olin (WashU) is good semi-reach school for you.

Good luck to you,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern

Re: Urgently need profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 19:04
Thanks a lot for your insight into my profile !!
Actually I have started writing the essays.I will keep your suggestions in mind while writing.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Urgently need profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2009, 13:44
Intern
Intern

Re: Urgently need profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 11:34
Hi Paul

I would like to apply to two more schools, Michigan State University(Eli Broad) and University of Iowa (Tippie). May you please evaluate my chances in those. Also please tell me the differences between a financial aid and scholarchips.Lot of schools claim to provide close to 100% financial aid.What do they mean by this?

Thanks
Saggy
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Urgently need profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 21:21
You are competitive at Michigan State and Iowa. Scholarships means no loans involved: your tuition is covered by the scholarship. Financial aid can mean scholarships plus loans, so 100% financial aid could mean you don't need to make any "down payment" on your tuition; it can be covered entirely by loans and scholarships. The usage of these terms varies with the school, so ask them what they mean by the term.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter