Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 10:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

URM, low GPA, mid to high GMAT score.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

URM, low GPA, mid to high GMAT score. [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 07:04
Hello everyone! I'm a Mexican American male, age 22 who is starting to look at business schools and is starting to plan for them. I'm a Political Economy major at UC Berkeley and I predict that my GPA will end up being around a 3.2 when I graduate this coming year. I'm aiming for a 650 on the GMAT and possibly a 700.

I'm considering devoting my time to some ECs this coming year and am currently figuring out what type of job I'm going to get after college.

I've considered Columbia, NYU, USC Marshall, and Harvard.

What are my chances? Any recommendations to improve my profile? I'd appreciate all comments and suggestions. :)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: URM, low GPA, mid to high GMAT score. [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 14:22
Expert's post
bnessman wrote:
Hello everyone! I'm a Mexican American male, age 22 who is starting to look at business schools and is starting to plan for them. I'm a Political Economy major at UC Berkeley and I predict that my GPA will end up being around a 3.2 when I graduate this coming year. I'm aiming for a 650 on the GMAT and possibly a 700.

I'm considering devoting my time to some ECs this coming year and am currently figuring out what type of job I'm going to get after college.

I've considered Columbia, NYU, USC Marshall, and Harvard.

What are my chances? Any recommendations to improve my profile? I'd appreciate all comments and suggestions. :)

In terms of EC's, choose something that you will enjoy. To the extent possible, accept responsibility and leadership roles. Also, if you choose to involve yourself in something that you will be involved in after college too, that commitment will be viewed more positively.

It's too early to talk about your chances at specific schools. I am assuming that you want to work after you graduate. Work for a year or two, take the GMAT, and then ask about changes. You might also be interested in this series from BW: Five Years to BSchool.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Operations

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: URM, low GPA, mid to high GMAT score. [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 05:57
Hi Everyone,

My profile:

GPA: 2.3- B.E(cs)
GMAT Score: 660
Work Ex: 3 yrs (matriculation) { 1.5+ yrs- technical and 0.6 yrs - marketing and communication}
Other Degree and Certification : 1. Diploma in Entrepreneurship
2. Six Sigma Green Belt
3. ITIL certified

I have been very active in Co-curricular Activities.

Please help me shortlist the schools where I have a decent chance of getting in. Also, what bothers me is that since, my GPA is low I might not get a good university. I am aiming towards the NY and MA based universities. PLZ help :)

Thanks in advance,

Cheers!
Aarti
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: URM, low GPA, mid to high GMAT score. [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 21:59
Expert's post
AartiPajan wrote:
Hi Everyone,

My profile:

GPA: 2.3- B.E(cs)
GMAT Score: 660
Work Ex: 3 yrs (matriculation) { 1.5+ yrs- technical and 0.6 yrs - marketing and communication}
Other Degree and Certification : 1. Diploma in Entrepreneurship
2. Six Sigma Green Belt
3. ITIL certified

I have been very active in Co-curricular Activities.

Please help me shortlist the schools where I have a decent chance of getting in. Also, what bothers me is that since, my GPA is low I might not get a good university. I am aiming towards the NY and MA based universities. PLZ help :)

Thanks in advance,

Cheers!
Aarti

Aarti,

What do you want to do with your MBA?

You might be interested in MBA Admissions: Low GMAT or GPA.

Best,
Linda Abraham

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Operations

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: URM, low GPA, mid to high GMAT score. [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 01:00
Hi Linda,

I wish to pursue a career in Information Technology. The experience I have had in last couple of months has grabbed my interest in this field. A MBA in the same will not only compliment my UG qualification but will also give a boost to the kind of career I wish to pursue. To be honest I am a little hesitant because of my UG- GPA. I am just so confused with the universities I should apply or I stand a decent chance of getting in. Could you suggest me a few universities?

Cheers!
Aarti
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: URM, low GPA, mid to high GMAT score. [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 15:25
Expert's post
AartiPajan wrote:
Hi Linda,

I wish to pursue a career in Information Technology. The experience I have had in last couple of months has grabbed my interest in this field. A MBA in the same will not only compliment my UG qualification but will also give a boost to the kind of career I wish to pursue. To be honest I am a little hesitant because of my UG- GPA. I am just so confused with the universities I should apply or I stand a decent chance of getting in. Could you suggest me a few universities?

Cheers!
Aarti

Your undergrad GPA combined with your GMAT will be a major obstacle at top ranked programs in Massachusetts and NY. I think you need to look outside those states too. Consider Santa Clara, Georgia Tech, University of Arizona, Arizona State, and Purdue.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553