Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 09:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

US part-time MBA vs. International MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

US part-time MBA vs. International MBA [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 11:29
Hi Alex,

I wanted to seek your opinion in my situation.
I work with a global med-device company and have 6.5 years work experience in R&D and Field Clinical roles in US. I have long-term plans to move closer to home in India/ S Asia in the healthcare sector. I applied for part-time MBA at 3 schools (UCLA Anderson, Haas and Wharton exec SF) and got into all the programs. My initial goal was to possibly move to a new role in Mkt/Strategy while completing my MBA to round my profile and possibly move to S Asia post-MBA. However, there have been some internal developments which have forced me to re-think my plans. There is a great opportunity back in S Asia to manage the Clinical division for my company and I've expressed interest in the role. I'm wondering if I should take up the opportunity if it's offered and look to do my MBA from India/S Asia or should I stick to my initial plan to complete MBA in the US. If I choose to complete MBA in US, I will have to incur 70% of the MBA costs and possibly stay back for couple of years post-MBA to repay the loan etc. I'm concerned about the value of a US MBA in India/S Asia in the long-term compared to local MBA programs like ISB or INSEAD. Also I'm not sure if such an opportunity will present itself in the future as the markets there will be more mature in the healthcare industry in 3-5 years. Can you advise if I should look to pursue my MBA in US or move back now and pursue an MBA from India/S Asia in the future. Thanks a lot for your guidance in advance.

Best,
Haresh.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: US part-time MBA vs. International MBA [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 21:51
Congrats on the acceptances!

It sounds like you're inclined to go back to India -- if you're undecided (and chances are you're probably a pretty smart guy), then chances are it's one of those decisions that could go either way. So in that case, you have to trust your gut on this one.

As for long-term, in most western countries especially the US - where you went to school 10-20 years ago has little bearing on your social/economic opportunities. It's about the here and now -- and in most cases, it comes down to what you can offer in the present moment (whether it's money, power, or talent). In Asian cultures they seem to go gaga over school brands that persist over a longer period of time than in the US or Europe, but then again, in the long-term for you (i.e. 10-20 years from now), that could very well change too if you believe that the Indian business environment will become less stratified and more "American" in the sense that it becomes more about "money talks now". Who knows.

Ultimately though, it comes down to what YOU want moreso than how you feel others to perceive your "branding" so to speak.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: US part-time MBA vs. International MBA   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2011, 21:51