Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 08:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

US Profile Seeking Honet Reality Check for Wharton, CBS, NYU

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

US Profile Seeking Honet Reality Check for Wharton, CBS, NYU [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 12:07
Hey guys,

Would really appreciate any honest opinions on my current profile and target schools/programs. Thanks!

US Male, American Born Chinese
Age 25
Undergrad: Topish Liberal Arts School (Colgate, Bucknell, Lehigh, Lafayette etc...)
Major: BS Biology BA Economics
GPA: 3.4 Overall, 3.5 Biology, 3.8 Economics
GMAT: First Score 690 (47 Quant, 38 Verbal) Second Score 660 (50 Quant, 29 Verbal) 6.0 AWA, 6 (94%) IR
Work Experience- 2-3 years- Investment Banking Internship at Middle Market Firm, Analyst at SK-China Real Estate (Property acquisition and management), Portfolio Management Analyst at MetLife China
Leadership Roles in College and NPO
Work Experience in both USA and China
Learned how to read and write Chinese in just a year (Goal was to be able to read a Chinese newspaper within a year) and lived in China for 2 years, Did not previously know Chinese even though I am a Chinese Born American
Personally invests in both US and Chinese Stock Markets

Goals: To get a solid financial education given my science background and work in areas like Healthcare or Cleantech IB/PE (Like I did during my banking internship), international financial opportunities (Capital raising, project/deal sourcing, etc....), work at a managerial level for a Clean tech/Waste management firm, or any new possible areas I may find interesting during the course of my MBA education.

Targeted Programs: Wharton Chinese Lauder Program, UC Berkeley MBA+Masters Public Health Mgmt or MBA+Master International Relations, Duke MBA+Master of Eniv Sciences, Columbia, NYU Stern, and Dartmouth (The latter 3 are just full time MBA programs)

Also, do you guys suggest that I use an admissions consultant?

Thanks for your help
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: US Profile Seeking Honet Reality Check for Wharton, CBS, NYU [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 13:10
Expert's post
overmind1632 wrote:
Hey guys,

Would really appreciate any honest opinions on my current profile and target schools/programs. Thanks!

US Male, American Born Chinese
Age 25
Undergrad: Topish Liberal Arts School (Colgate, Bucknell, Lehigh, Lafayette etc...)
Major: BS Biology BA Economics
GPA: 3.4 Overall, 3.5 Biology, 3.8 Economics
GMAT: First Score 690 (47 Quant, 38 Verbal) Second Score 660 (50 Quant, 29 Verbal) 6.0 AWA, 6 (94%) IR
Work Experience- 2-3 years- Investment Banking Internship at Middle Market Firm, Analyst at SK-China Real Estate (Property acquisition and management), Portfolio Management Analyst at MetLife China
Leadership Roles in College and NPO
Work Experience in both USA and China
Learned how to read and write Chinese in just a year (Goal was to be able to read a Chinese newspaper within a year) and lived in China for 2 years, Did not previously know Chinese even though I am a Chinese Born American
Personally invests in both US and Chinese Stock Markets

Goals: To get a solid financial education given my science background and work in areas like Healthcare or Cleantech IB/PE (Like I did during my banking internship), international financial opportunities (Capital raising, project/deal sourcing, etc....), work at a managerial level for a Clean tech/Waste management firm, or any new possible areas I may find interesting during the course of my MBA education.

Targeted Programs: Wharton Chinese Lauder Program, UC Berkeley MBA+Masters Public Health Mgmt or MBA+Master International Relations, Duke MBA+Master of Eniv Sciences, Columbia, NYU Stern, and Dartmouth (The latter 3 are just full time MBA programs)

Also, do you guys suggest that I use an admissions consultant?

Thanks for your help

My answer to your last question is an enthusiastic "yes!", and I'll even help you pick one. Please see "How to Choose an MBA Admissions Consultant." Yes you can question my objectivity.

Now to the substance of your post. I think you are aiming a little high by aiming at only top tier programs. It's not so much that you can't get into any one of those programs, but that there is no program you are likely to get into with the exception of Duke, a great fit for you BTW. I also suggest you consider USC, CMU Tepper, UT Austin, Georgetown, UCLA Anderson, and Yale. None of these are safeties, but you would be competitive at all of them.

You might also be interested in Best MBA Programs: A guide to Selecting the Right One.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Re: US Profile Seeking Honet Reality Check for Wharton, CBS, NYU   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2013, 13:10