Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 05:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

US schools advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

US schools advice [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 21:05
Dear all,

I took up my GMAT yesterday (15. June. 2011) and... am very disappointed with my score of 660 (Q47 / V34). I hoped to cross 700 threshold. I had scored 640 on GMAT in 2009, so I've now some reason to believe that this score is what I'd get even if I take GMAT a zillion times. I've now accepted my score and have decided to move on rather than yield to confirmation bias. I'd like to apply to some US business schools as I believe that this "American experience" (sounds like GMAT RC topic, eh?) would complement my profile as a global employee and I'd like to have your advice and inputs on the schools that might take me and any constructive criticisms you may offer. I've summarized my profile here.

Citizenship : Indian, German permanent resident

Professional experience:
Working for the past 7 years for an top American software company in Germany. Have worked with several European, American and Indian companies through my current job. Travelled extensively within Europe, for my job as well as for personal curiosity to learn about other cultures and people. I started my career as a Software engineer (2005), then promoted to Project engineer (2006), Lead Engineer (2009) and to Account Manager (2010). My resume highlight big names, such as EADS, SAP, Siemens, etc. - I manage some of these accounts for my employer. In short, I could demonstrate some career growth and leadership potential. Furthermore, I've been working in a managerial capacity for the past 4 years on cross functional projects and have managed 5-14 member teams directly.

Education :
Master of Science from Germany
Bachelor of Engineering from India
Project Management Professional (PMP) certification
Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) certification
Intellectual Property Management (IPM) certification

Extra curricular :
Inter-cultural trainer
Member and promoter SOS Children's Villages (since 2006)
Member and evangelist - Teach for India (since 2010)
Advisory board member (Indian Association, Germany)
President & co-founder - Alumni association of my university
Department General secretary during by Bachelors
Under officer - Indian Air Force
Golf - handicap 70

Linguistic proficiency : English, German, French, Tamil & Hindi

Could you suggest which schools might consider my application, given my low GMAT score, please? I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you very much,
MS
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: US schools advice [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 22:07
Your 660 will be a problem. As an international applicant, more will be focused on your GMAT score than on your college grades. At 660, look at schools in the top 15-30 range. If you want, you can put schools in the top 8-15, such as Duke, Michigan, Virginia, UCLA, and NYU. But I think you'll be more in range in the USC, UNC, Tepper range. One thing that does draw some sort of a red flag for me was your work experience (couple that with age). You'll be a bit on the older side of the spectrum, which is fine. But you've described to me some management stuff (i.e. leading that many people) that it makes me think that an EMBA might be best here. Are you looking to switch career? If you are, sure, a traditional MBA is the better choice. If not, look at EMBA as well.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: US schools advice   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2011, 22:07