Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 07:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

USA B schools for my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 79

USA B schools for my profile [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2013, 08:35
Hi,

I am looking for a top B school in the USA.

My profile looks like the following:

Name: Sridhar
Nationality: Indian

Work Experience:

Total experience in years: 5 years and 1 month

Company worked for: Infosys Limited

Brief description of job:
Joined Infosys in July 2008 as a fresher and underwent generic and stream specific (Network) training in Infosys Mysore Campus till Jan 2009.

Systems Engineer – Jan 2009 to March 2010
Senior Systems Engineer – April 2010 to Sep 2011
Technology Analyst – Oct 2011 to present
Expecting to become Technology Lead in Oct 2013

International Experience – 13 months in Paris, France at the client location (worked on behalf of Infosys)
Led a team of 6 in Paris (client location) between April 2012 and May 2013.
Currently leading a team of 4 for a different project.

Education Background:

10th Standard
School – Lawrence School, Lovedale (Nilgiris District)
Board – CBSE
Percentage– 81.8%

12th Standard
School – SRV Higher Secondary School, Rasipuram
Board – Tamil Nadu Higher Secondary Education
Percentage – 94%

Under Graduation
College – Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering (SVCE), Affiliated to Anna University, Chennai
Discipline – Electronics & Communication Engineering
Percentage – 63%

GMAT:
Date Taken – 27-01-2012
Total – 660
Quants – 48 (78%)
Verbal – 33 (67%)
AWA – 5.5

Extra Curricular Activities:

• A passionate runner. Completed two semi-marathons and one 10 km run in Paris, France.
• Completed one 10 km run for a NGO, Kaagaz India in Bangalore.
• Completed three levels of LA Cuban Salsa from the Russian Cultural Center, Chennai in 2009
• Completed the short term type writing course. Can type at 45 words per minute without looking at the keyboard.
• Played the bugle and trumpet for the school band between class 7 and 10.
• Vice President of the Leo Club, a social club in Engineering College

I am looking for a career in management consulting in operations or strategy after my general management MBA.

Could you please evaluate my profile and let me know the top B schools that I can apply to in the USA.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Regards,
Sridhar
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Schools: HBS '13 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q V
GPA: 3.72
WE: Consulting (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: USA B schools for my profile [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 13:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Sridhar,

Thanks for your inquiry! I think that there are many promising elements of your academic background and professional/extracurricular experience. It will be extremely important as you apply to schools to highlight the management experience that you've had (while in Paris for example). I also think that receiving a promotion to technology lead will be very important in order to show increased management experience and an upward career trajectory.

As a male engineer from India you’re unfortunately in quite a competitive demographic pool, however this backround is hugely valued by US programs. So you'll just have to work very hard to differentiate yourself from other similar candidates. After analyzing your profile I have the following comments:

• When communicating your career goals in your admissions essay, you should be more specific and think longer term. Many people who apply to these schools want to go into management consulting and so coming up with a more comprehensive and unique answer to that question will really help you stand out. Check out this link for more tips on creating your career goals http://mbaprepschool.com/topic/standing-out/. It's crucial to really think about what type of role you want both 1-5 years post-business school and 15-20 years down the road. Showing a passion for your future and a very clear and confident case for your future career goals will be a huge differentiator.

• Your GMAT is a bit low for top US programs. With this score as well as the professional experience you described I would target schools in the top 10-20 such as University of North Carolina, Emory, Carnegie Melon, etc.. If you can get your GMAT score over 700 and really focus on creating a powerful application that highlights your leadership experience and clear career objectives, then I think you could also target a few schools in the top 10

At MBA Prep School, I provide admissions strategy consulting to people with a very similar background to you, so feel free to PM me if you have other questions or want more information on our services.

Best wishes,
Krista

If you find my response/post useful then please give it kudos!

Krista Nylen
MBA Prep School
San Francisco, CA

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 79

Re: USA B schools for my profile [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 05:11
Hi Krista,

Thank you very much for your reply.

On doing a bit of research myself and from help from others, I have shortlisted the following schools for my profile:

Ambitious:
Carnegie Mellon (Tepper) - 43
Texas – Austin (McCombs) - 46
UNC Kenan-Flagler - 45
Georgetown (McDonough) – 40
Rice (Jones) - 37
University of Rochester Simon School of Business - 59

Safe:
Emory (Goizueta) – 49
Indiana Kelley - 54
Ohio State University Fisher College of Business - 72
Maryland (Smith) - 50
University of Minnesota – 72
University of Illinois - 44
Purdue – 68
SMU Cox – 98
Tulane University, Freeman School of Business – 81
Pennsylvania State University (Smeal) - 77
Michigan State University – Broad School of Business – 62

Out of all these, I would like to apply to a total of 8 schools. Could you please let me know the top 8 from this list in terms of placements for Indian students of my background and quality of course. I would like to may be have a minimum of 2 or 3 admits from 8 so that I have the opportunity to choose.

Please let me know your views.

Regards,
Sridhar
Re: USA B schools for my profile   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2013, 05:11