Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [1]
Given Kudos: 260
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Re: Usage of 'Although' [#permalink]
In the context of this problem, you may find following article helpful

although-is-a-dependent-clause-dc-marker-so-it-has-to-start-a-dc-200260.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [0]
Send PM
tarunktuteja wrote:

Thanks tarunktuteja for your help,

Actually I knew those stuff about reduction of adverb clauses.

But the point is the GMAT's inconsistency about usage of 'although' with or without a verb and subject; as I have pointed out, GMAT in one other case, i.e. page 739 of OG2015, in the explanation for choice D of question 74, asserts that:

"Although is a conjunction and should be followed by a finite clause with a subject, not by a participle."

If this is GMAT's position (about how 'although' (and similar subordinating conjunctions) should be used), then 'although eradicated in the United States' should also be wrong, since in this case 'although' is followed by a participle, i.e. 'eradicated', rather than a S-V.

Do you have any idea how this inconsistency can be solved?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Hi apolo,

The question on Polio that I cited in my article is actually from OG VR2 Q36 and the correct option uses the reduced form. The explanation given in OG VR2 for correct option E says:

The sentence is clear, concise, and grammatically correct.

Indeed we reduce adverbial clauses for concision.

Further this is what I have heard about the OG explanations:

"The Official Guide explanations have been created by different teams over the years – some explanations are from ETS (which administered the GMAT pre-2005); some explanations are from a 3rd party to whom GMAC outsourced the work, and some explanations are created by GMAC experts themselves (hopefully the best ones!). This explains the discrepancy in the quality of answers provided to the awesome questions in the OG."

And this explains the inconsistency among different explanations for the same concept.

apolo wrote:
tarunktuteja wrote:

But the point is the GMAT's inconsistency about usage of 'although' with or without a verb and subject; as I have pointed out, GMAT in one other case, i.e. page 739 of OG2015, in the explanation for choice D of question 74, asserts that:

"Although is a conjunction and should be followed by a finite clause with a subject, not by a participle."

If this is GMAT's position (about how 'although' (and similar subordinating conjunctions) should be used), then 'although eradicated in the United States' should also be wrong, since in this case 'although' is followed by a participle, i.e. 'eradicated', rather than a S-V.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [0]
Send PM
tarunktuteja wrote:
Hi apolo,

The question on Polio that I cited in my article is actually from OG VR2 Q36 and the correct option uses the reduced form. The explanation given in OG VR2 for correct option E says:

The sentence is clear, concise, and grammatically correct.

Indeed we reduce adverbial clauses for concision.

Further this is what I have heard about the OG explanations:

"The Official Guide explanations have been created by different teams over the years – some explanations are from ETS (which administered the GMAT pre-2005); some explanations are from a 3rd party to whom GMAC outsourced the work, and some explanations are created by GMAC experts themselves (hopefully the best ones!). This explains the discrepancy in the quality of answers provided to the awesome questions in the OG."

And this explains the inconsistency among different explanations for the same concept.

apolo wrote:
tarunktuteja wrote:

Yes, I had also mentioned this 'polio' problem in my original question. Furthermore, I also have heard about the quality of OG SC explanations, though not exactly what you have mentioned about ETS.

Mike's words (from Magoosh team) that I have shared above might be an alternative explanation. NO?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts