Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 01:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Usage of relative pronouns

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Usage of relative pronouns [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2008, 15:42
I read something that got me confused regarding the usage of "who" and will need your help to make things much clearer to me. It says that a comma before "who" will dictate which noun in the prepositional phrase the "who" is referring to. I'll give you 2 examples:

1) I borrowed the car of John, who is my neighbor
because there is a comma before "who", "who" is referring to the subject of the prepositional phrase "car."

2) I borrowed the car of John who is my neighbor
because we don't have a comma before "who", then "who" is referring to the object of the prepositional phrase "John."

It also claims that the same thing goes with "which" when there is a prepositional phrase before it. Does "which" always refer to the word immediately before it no matter whether it is the subject or the object of the prepositional phrase? For example, using the same example above:

3) I borrowed the car of John, which is expensive.

I just came up with this example so i'm not sure how wrong or correct this is, but for the sake of creating an example, i made this one up. does this mean that "which" refers to "car" or "john." I just need to end this confusion once and for all.

thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Re: Usage of relative pronouns [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2008, 15:59
tarek99 wrote:
I read something that got me confused regarding the usage of "who" and will need your help to make things much clearer to me. It says that a comma before "who" will dictate which noun in the prepositional phrase the "who" is referring to. I'll give you 2 examples:

1) I borrowed the car of John, who is my neighbor
because there is a comma before "who", "who" is referring to the subject of the prepositional phrase "car."

2) I borrowed the car of John who is my neighbor
because we don't have a comma before "who", then "who" is referring to the object of the prepositional phrase "John."

It also claims that the same thing goes with "which" when there is a prepositional phrase before it. Does "which" always refer to the word immediately before it no matter whether it is the subject or the object of the prepositional phrase? For example, using the same example above:

3) I borrowed the car of John, which is expensive.

I just came up with this example so i'm not sure how wrong or correct this is, but for the sake of creating an example, i made this one up. does this mean that "which" refers to "car" or "john." I just need to end this confusion once and for all.

thanks

Where did you read this stuff?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Usage of relative pronouns [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2008, 16:14
I downloaded this file from esnips.com. If you want, you can pm me with your email address and I can send it to you as an attachment so that you can tell me what you think.
Re: Usage of relative pronouns   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2008, 16:14