Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

usage of with

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

usage of with [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2009, 21:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (01:43) correct 33% (00:00) wrong based on 8 sessions
Please answer with an explanation
Attachments

usage of with_in.JPG
usage of with_in.JPG [ 75.24 KiB | Viewed 1343 times ]

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 13

Re: usage of with [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2009, 22:33
C should be correct. Keeps the idion "with the purchase" and maintains parallelism with bringing
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 9

Re: usage of with [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2009, 22:40
A. In the Louisiana Purchase of 1803, the United States acquired 828,000 square miles for about four cents an acre, which more than doubled the country’s size and that brought

which refers to acre. Also which more than double and that brought is not parallel

B. For about four cents an acre the United States acquired, in the Louisiana Purchase of 1803, 828,000 square miles, more than doubling the country’s size and it brought

if you remove the part set off commas "in the Louisiana Purchase of 1803, 828,000 square mile", the sentence reads
the United States acquired more than double the ..
As you can see this does not make any sense.
The pronoun it refers to the United States but the United States did not bring anything.

C. With the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, the United States acquired 828,000 square miles for about four cents an acre, more than doubling its size and bringing

the two participles here modify the preceding clause. Correct.

D. The United States, in the Louisiana Purchase of 1803, for about four cents an acre, acquired 828,000 square miles, more than doubling the country’s size, bringing

you need "and " before bringing. If not bringing seems to modify the previous clause more than doubling which is not correct.

E. Acquiring 828,000 square miles in the Louisiana Purchase of 1803, the United States bought it for about four cents an acre, more than doubling the country’s size and bringing

it has no antecedent.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: usage of with [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 01:34
mikeCoolBoy wrote:
A. In the Louisiana Purchase of 1803, the United States acquired 828,000 square miles for about four cents an acre, which more than doubled the country’s size and that brought

which refers to acre. Also which more than double and that brought is not parallel

B. For about four cents an acre the United States acquired, in the Louisiana Purchase of 1803, 828,000 square miles, more than doubling the country’s size and it brought

if you remove the part set off commas "in the Louisiana Purchase of 1803, 828,000 square mile", the sentence reads
the United States acquired more than double the ..
As you can see this does not make any sense.
The pronoun it refers to the United States but the United States did not bring anything.

C. With the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, the United States acquired 828,000 square miles for about four cents an acre, more than doubling its size and bringing

the two participles here modify the preceding clause. Correct.

D. The United States, in the Louisiana Purchase of 1803, for about four cents an acre, acquired 828,000 square miles, more than doubling the country’s size, bringing

you need "and " before bringing. If not bringing seems to modify the previous clause more than doubling which is not correct.

E. Acquiring 828,000 square miles in the Louisiana Purchase of 1803, the United States bought it for about four cents an acre, more than doubling the country’s size and bringing

it has no antecedent.

I agree with your explanation. I have doubt between A & C. IMO they do not convey the same meaning.
A says 'In the Louisiana Purchase of 1803' looks like - Since P is capital, it looks like one phrase and not like a noun(Louisiana) and a verb(purchase). It looks like specific event which occurred in some period and in that event US did X.
eg. we say I the sale I purchased xyz, but this is not correctly conveyed by C
Please explain
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 9

Re: usage of with [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 07:56
I agree with you on that A&C do not convey the same meaning. I think your explanation of what A means is right. I'm not native speaker, so I'm not normally good at these meaning issues, sorry.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: usage of with [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2010, 13:37
The usage of "which" in A directly refers to acre.
Thus it conveys the meaning that acre more then doubled the country's size.
Only C uses the correct parallelism & removes the above error.
Also, C denotes a continous action that after the purchase, US acquired X miles.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: usage of with [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2014, 18:38
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: usage of with   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2014, 18:38