Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 13:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Usage of Word "Exactly" In Quant Problems

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Usage of Word "Exactly" In Quant Problems [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 23:09
I'm confused about the meaning of the word "exactly" on the GMAT Quant section. I was looking today at a problem from Jeff Sackman's problem set (DS set, question 17) and choice A for a data sufficiency question had this statement:

1. y has exactly two prime factors.

I originally understood this statement as "y has two prime factors and no more". So for instance, 4 has exactly 2 prime factors: 2 and 2. However, the author of the set treats the wording as "y has two unique prime factors", in which case "4 has exactly 1 unique primer factor". I've searched on the Internet and it looks like GmatPrep uses similar wording in one problem:

"130) Positive integer k has exactly 2 positive prime factors, 3 and 7."
http://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-nu ... 50409.html

Does anybody have an idea on what the official stance on this usage is? I've seen the word "exactly" in several other DS questions as well, especially the ones related to sets.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 717 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: Usage of Word "Exactly" In Quant Problems [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 01:23
alexcey wrote:
I'm confused about the meaning of the word "exactly" on the GMAT Quant section. I was looking today at a problem from Jeff Sackman's problem set (DS set, question 17) and choice A for a data sufficiency question had this statement:

I originally understood this statement as "y has two prime factors and no more". So for instance, 4 has exactly 2 prime factors: 2 and 2. However, the author of the set treats the wording as "y has two unique prime factors", in which case "4 has exactly 1 unique primer factor". I've searched on the Internet and it looks like GmatPrep uses similar wording in one problem:

Does anybody have an idea on what the official stance on this usage is? I've seen the word "exactly" in several other DS questions as well, especially the ones related to sets.

y has two prime factors means that y has to unique factors. It cannot be taken to mean 2 & 2. In this instance y cannot be 4. The least possible positive value for y is 6.

As far as sets are concerned, we often see something like "10 people are in exactly two groups". That means that those ten people are not in more than two groups. That is people who are in all three groups are not accounted for in this 10. The significance of this can be seen from Bunuel's explanation in the below page:

formulae-for-3-overlapping-sets-69014.html

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Usage of Word "Exactly" In Quant Problems [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 01:47
But then how does one refer to the number of all prime factors in a number then?

Here is what MGMAT says on page 122 of the Number Properties guide:
1. How many different prime factors? ... maybe phrased as "different" or "unique" prime factors
2. How many total prime factors (length)?
3. How many total factors?

Another question that I have is for a statement like this one "Set A has 2 numbers". Does it mean on GMAT that set A can have 3 and more numbers?
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 717 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: Usage of Word "Exactly" In Quant Problems [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 02:24
alexcey wrote:
But then how does one refer to the number of all prime factors in a number then?

Here is what MGMAT says on page 122 of the Number Properties guide:
1. How many different prime factors? ... maybe phrased as "different" or "unique" prime factors
2. How many total prime factors (length)?
3. How many total factors?

Another question that I have is for a statement like this one "Set A has 2 numbers". Does it mean on GMAT that set A can have 3 and more numbers?

As seen from your post itself, that would be the prime factor length

eg: 1080 = 2 x 2 x 2 x 3 x 3 x 3 x 5

The number of different prime factors would be 3 (2,3 and 5)
The prime factor length would be 7

And IMHO set A has two numbers means only that. i.e It has only two numbers. If it had said "at least two numbers" it would mean that set A has two or more numbers.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5378 [0], given: 165

Re: Usage of Word "Exactly" In Quant Problems [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 19:32
Expert's post
alexcey wrote:

The usage can vary a little from question to question but in most cases the intended meaning is quite clear.

y has two prime factors
=
y has exactly two prime factors
=
y has two distinct prime factors
=
y has exactly two distinct prime factors (gives the meaning clearly so is most preferred)

'Set A has two members' means 'Set A has exactly two members and no more'

There is a source of confusion in this concept. Let's discuss that with an example.
There were 100 people at a party. The food at the party consisted of three things - cake, candy and corn.

'50 people ate cake'
This means exactly 50 people ate cake. The other 50 did not eat cake. The only thing is that of these 50 people, some or all could have eaten something else too. This statement doesn't imply that these 50 did not eat anything else. You have to remember this.

'50 people ate only cake'
This is different. This means 50 ate cake and nothing else.

50 people belong to group1 means exactly 50 belong to group1 but the point is that they could belong to other groups too.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Usage of Word "Exactly" In Quant Problems   [#permalink] 10 Dec 2012, 19:32