Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

USC Marshall vs UT-Austin McCombs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

USC Marshall vs UT-Austin McCombs [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 17:26
Hello and thanks in advance for the input,

I have been accepted to McCombs and am waitlisted at USC currently. I am pursuing a part-time degree but this question does not pertain to FT or PT. I have lived in Southern California all of my life, and plan to eventually settle here. Thus, USC as has been said over and over again will have an incredible alumni network. But I am still torn (assuming I get accepted). Followed are some stats, all rankings are US News:

Full Time Ranking:
Austin: 16
USC: 20

Part-Time Ranking:
Austin: 7
USC: 7

Ranking of Finance department:
Austin: 15
USC: 20

Ranking of Entrepreneurship department:
Austin: 9
USC: 7

Ranking of Management department:
Austin: 19
USC: 22

Average Starting Salary on West Coast:
Austin:$105,000
USC: $94,000

Average Starting Salary in North East:
Austin:$100,000
USC: $95,000

Average GMAT:
Austin: 645
USC: 623

Cost of living in Austin:
Housing costs: 63% less than LA
Groceries cost: 15% less than LA
Transportation costs: 16% less than LA

What is going to be the best option? I will be moving to the North East most likely for 2-3 years post graduation (my wife will be attending an MFA program) and then back to So-Cal for the remainder of my life. By the way I am most interested in finance and entrepreneurship. At McCombs you can only major in general management but in the interview the resources for pursuing knowledge and experience in these areas seemed very extensive. Both McCombs and Marshall have strong placement and recognition in California and the North East, but Austin grads seem to get higher salaries. But people are OBSESSED with USC and have always been all my life...

Just interviewed with Chicago Booth last week, and am waiting to hear back from Stern and Ross. If I get into any of these this discussion will probably be a moot point. But I appreciate the input.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: USC Marshall vs UT-Austin McCombs [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 19:53
Hey I don't know from nothing but I think you would have a great time and less debt in TX. What is not to like about that? What makes you sure southern california is the best place for you and your wife? If it is family I totally respect that. But I would still think heavily about taking the cheaper(cost of living etc) and very similarly ranked school. I live in a college town. People often respect you more when you come from a different school and perspective. Good luck whatever you decide.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 86

Reviews Badge
Re: USC Marshall vs UT-Austin McCombs [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 21:45
I love Austin and the campus culture at UT. Rankings and career stuff being somewhat equal, I'd prefer to spend two years at UT. It's hard to say how great the USC network really is. They certainly market the hell out of their LA network, but I think that UT is a stronger program nationwide.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: USC Marshall vs UT-Austin McCombs [#permalink] New post 12 May 2010, 05:22
Personally, I'm partial to McCombs, but that's just a personal preference. Good luck with your decision.

Respect my Authoritaaah!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: USC Marshall vs UT-Austin McCombs [#permalink] New post 12 May 2010, 05:35
As someone who's waiting on a decision from McCombs, I think you should definitely wait on USC's decision. :-D

Just kidding, but I would go with your gut, because both have great schools. Good luck with your decision.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Admitted (Darden, Kelley, UT-Austin) Waitlisted (Cornell, Ross)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: USC Marshall vs UT-Austin McCombs [#permalink] New post 12 May 2010, 05:41
The schools seem to more or less at parity with regards to rankings / academics / etc. At the end of the day, if you're decision comes down to location, I would have to go with Austin.

When I applied, I would mention the schools I was Considering / applying to friends, family, colleagues, etc. The only two cities that came up universally positive were Austin (by a long shot) and Charlottesville, VA.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 19

Premium Member
Re: USC Marshall vs UT-Austin McCombs [#permalink] New post 12 May 2010, 06:07
Expert's post
McCombs has better national recognition, and it has the entire southwest region on lock. Marshall has regional reputation and is out shined by Anderson in SoCal, by Haas and Stanford in greater California.

Also, USC isn't located in the best part of LA.

Diversity

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: USC Marshall vs UT-Austin McCombs [#permalink] New post 12 May 2010, 16:40
My humble opinion:

If you're from SoCal, like SoCal and "plan to eventually settle" in SoCal, the diplomas and networks of the other schools you mentioned are not going to be as helpful to you as Marshall. The only other schools I'd consider in such a situation are Stanford, Anderson and Haas.

BTW, data from 2010 US News rankings:

UT: 3.45 GPA, 681 GMAT, 68.6% employed at grad
SC: 3.30 GPA, 690 GMAT, 65.9% employed at grad

Disclaimer: I'm attending the Marshall EMBA next year.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 2

Re: USC Marshall vs UT-Austin McCombs [#permalink] New post 12 May 2010, 20:58
KFG wrote:
My humble opinion:

If you're from SoCal, like SoCal and "plan to eventually settle" in SoCal, the diplomas and networks of the other schools you mentioned are not going to be as helpful to you as Marshall. The only other schools I'd consider in such a situation are Stanford, Anderson and Haas.

BTW, data from 2010 US News rankings:

UT: 3.45 GPA, 681 GMAT, 68.6% employed at grad
SC: 3.30 GPA, 690 GMAT, 65.9% employed at grad

Disclaimer: I'm attending the Marshall EMBA next year.

I agree with the above re: your long term goals and enjoyment of SoCal. Both of those are the exact reason I am going to McCombs (live in TX, want to work in TX, plan to be in TX). With respect to the GMAT, the OP was using the part-time numbers.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: USC Marshall vs UT-Austin McCombs [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 00:08
what did you end up doing? I am in the same boat, and have to decide McComb vs Marshall. McComb seems better all around to me, but USC is great if I want to come back to LA again.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 2

Re: USC Marshall vs UT-Austin McCombs [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 06:25
This post received
KUDOS
xcobrax wrote:
what did you end up doing? I am in the same boat, and have to decide McComb vs Marshall. McComb seems better all around to me, but USC is great if I want to come back to LA again.

McCombs.. if you end up there it is going to be helpful if you start spelling it with an "s" at the end. ;) Joking aside, I think they are peer schools and neither carries any significant weight outside of their respective regions. So it should come down to money and post-MBA job location preferrence.
Re: USC Marshall vs UT-Austin McCombs   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2011, 06:25